main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney's Interest in Episode VII Being Released in December 2015

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Bazinga'd , Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I disagree. With all the practical and CGI involved in this movie, 18+ months is entirely reasonable. Do you want JJ and company to rush production to fit in some preconceived time frame?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Star Wars is a brand, but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's as big as it was in the 70s & 80s. The PT put a huge dent in its once untouchable & much worshipped armour plating, as did a largely mediocre EU.
    The Clone Wars went some way to restoring that but it still divides fans.
    Star Wars' reputation as the religion of all franchises needs some restoration & I believe Disney can do it. But they need to make sure their release plan doesn't encounter too many issues.

Disney already seemingly extended this movie's release date as late in 2015 as they could so I would think they'll avoid going into 2016 if they can.

3. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    CGI effects shouldn't take that long. Not unless they are reinventing the wheel and taking things to a whole new level ala "Avatar". But from early reports JJ is not trying to break any barriers when it comes to special effects.

4. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yes that is true. A lesson learned from Titanic release.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Perhaps, but he's right about this: a director is expected to manage to make a release date even if accidents happen. They're expected to be able to cope with problems and STILL get the work done on time, unless the problems are catastrophic. If he/she can't do that, that reflects on him/her.

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    It depends, CGI characters that have a substantial screentime can take years to perfect (Gollum, Smaug, Caesar). But most of the CGI effects start being done since pre-production, and EPVII had a quite lengthy pre-production time.

12 months is usually the standard time for big blockbusters movies finish their principal photography and start their post production (Blockbusters with lots of effects that will open during this time next year are still being shot: The Avengers, Jurassic World, the new Terminator movie) so 18 months is more than time to perfect the effects and the editing of the movie, even if Harrison has to really be out for 6 months (which I don't believe), principal photography would have shortened and post would start earlier and they will do like a couple of months of reshoots early 2015 and there will still be plenty of time of post.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i dont expect the film to be any better than TPM, no matter how much time they have.

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I enjoy TPM, but if that's the bar we're setting, Disney shouldn't even bother.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    im glad we agree. But i cant like a movie that features jar Jar and has stupid politics.

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Nothing indicates that Episode VII will even come close to that.

Episode VII needs to be as good as, say, the first Iron Man if this thing is going to get off the ground. It needs to have people walking out of the theatre pumped and ready for more SW. "Yeah, it was pretty good" isn't going to cut it. They just can't risk another SW film at the PT-level of quality.

Even the reception to ROTS was "Huh, it wasn't terrible!" which is not the reaction you want.

11. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I like the consistency of Star Wars films being May films and I wouldn't care if this did get delayed to a May 2016 release

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want SW now dammit!

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Marketing also has to be factored in. They need to make posters & TV spots & lots of other promotional material. Presumably they do that after the movie is totally done so they can include the FX in the imagery. But if the movie isn't fully finished until about 4 months from the release they won't have much time

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I presume that is a self-imposed lowered expectations.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  15. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005

Marketing doesn't wait for the entire film to be fully finished. Key scenes are identified and those are finished first for use in trailers, etc. Which is why sometimes scenes appear in a trailer but they don't make it into the actual film once the filmmaker/studio see a rough cut. Some films are worked on, postproduction-wise, up to practically day of release.

16. The Auxiliary

The Auxiliary Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2014
    Their interest in releasing in the middle of the Christmas season?

[​IMG]

darth-sinister and mcgo like this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Indeed. We might get a teaser trailer at Christmas just as you describe long before all the effects shots or final editing have been completed.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wouldn't Christmas be too soon? I would've thought February be the time we'd get a teaser trailer

19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-wars-december-2015-or-bust

Good article by LR, which makes it pretty clear Disney is driving this train now. Both Kennedy and Abrams asked to delay the film until May 2016 and were turned down flat. Disney brass has effectively given Abrams the heave ho going forward by hiring Anderson to take over shepherding the rest of the trilogy. Abrams was Kennedy's guy.

Yancy

20. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Last night I had a dream where JJ Abrams stepped down publicly from Episode VII because of Disney's insistence in releasing the film before 2016. [face_dunno]

21. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Excuse my language, but LR is run by attention-grabbing ***holes. That's all I have to say about that.

SithPug, DARTH_MUPPET and Yensid1974 like this.
  22. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Sorry, I'm not going to read anything by Latino Review. Did it say why they asked for a 2016 release date? If it was the Harrison Ford thing then it's total nonsense since Johnson was tapped before that. He's also Abrams' guy so I find the whole thing unlikely.

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Lucas usually shot the PT films at least 18 months to 2 years before the release date for each movie. So, I see nothing wrong with Abrams shooting Episode VII 18 months before its release date.

24. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    The Latino Review article is is a funny one. Its just a smart ass writing/analyzing of other internet rumors, and a dynamic way of monitoring the entertainment business, and create a story, without really having a story. Its ironic that the last issue in the article is about Tom Cruise, not being in the movie. Its not very funny, its not something people even have recognized as a story, but hey.....lets not even look at ourselves with and ironic angle; We just do clever, cool, speculation from the ingrediences we see and hear..

I think ideal, i want a may 2016 release, but that would actually be in two years. Two years! Think about it. They have momentum now, there is a lot of press about the production, that is also marketing. And it will be steady for a long time, and heat up to the extreme, next summer, autumn. They should be able to finish it, even if its a Star Wars film, with tons of complicated post production. If there is a delay in shooting while Ford is recovering, i know they will fell down for a while, its the dynamic of filmmaking, you are deep down into the ****, hard working, day and night. But sure they will be ok.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Special effects won't take that long to do nowadays. Just look at Transformers 4, amazing effects but the film only started filming in May 28, 2013, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.