main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do our icons have to be limited to Star Wars?"...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by big_boss_nass, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Lemon, as several people have said before, the problem is knowing where to draw the line. It's all well and good to say Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but do you know how many films that fall into that catagory that people here enjoy? If we allow 1 or 2 films, then people are going to be upset when we don't upload an icon from their favorite film/show. We would have to find a place to draw a definitive and reasonable line, otherwise there will be complaints of favoritism and bias.

Talking about making icons that have lightsabers in them is also in the gray area. I don't think drawing a lightsaber into Harry Potter's hand would make it a valid SW icon. The Alf icon that is up was uploaded because it is funny and the mods in charge of the selection process usually make allowances when it's a humorous icon. For example, the '42' icon. It's a joke that has been used around the JC for a looooong time, but it isn't SW related. The specific icon some people were discussing is Silent Bob, from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, when he is using a lightsaber (in the actual movie, not just drawn in). That that isn't the same thing as slapping a lightsaber on to a random pic just to get an icon you like uploaded by dodging the SW-related rule.

I believe that Snowboards has a feature to allow someone to direct link to an icon from offsite, but it is part of IGN's subscription service. I don't think we could simply transplant that feature here, since this is an entirely free board. And the JC definitely doesn't have the money to hire zerosleep to write more code for us. We only get new things when IGN hires him to write it, and they are nice enough to allow us to have it too without paying anything.

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    *sob* Guess I'm back to my old icon...

:p

3. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I agree with the auther of the message fully. We can have one icon category titled "Other".

4. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    We ought to have a Steven Spielberg icon. He did, after all, create Star Wars. And I have all the proof here.

*holds up briefcase*

Oh, that and Doctor Who icons. Everybody involved with Doctor Who created Star Wars, too. The proof for that is also in my briefcase. So there.

5. The_Lemon_Joeco

The_Lemon_Joeco Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2002
    I thought I had agreed with you ah well...

:D

How bout certain boards (non sw) get special icons? Either way I say GROUP HUG everybody!

-lem

6. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Group hug? Um... perhaps later? :p

Fanforce already have their own icons. And the rest of the forums qualify as pretty much Star Wars based... I don't see why those would be grouped differently so they can get special, non-SW icons.

EDIT. Ignore, I think I misunderstood the post.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  8. CBaoth_The_Crazy

CBaoth_The_Crazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I just looked for images of Dannik Jerriko. I found one, mirrored on many, many sites. It's blurry, and a horrible shot.

Oh, I just found another one, it's a somewhat decent black and white shot.

Unless there are more pictures that I am missing, this character can't be made into a good icon.

Well, that does not mean that it can't be done just because you have not found any pictures of him. Theron has numerous Jerriko icons that are great, nay, superb, and there is no reason that they can not be uploaded.

9. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I was just saying. Calm down.

Anyway, on the Icon Possibilities page, there is now a Silent Bob icon, I believe it is him with a "Bongsaber."

10. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    How about a vote for 3 categories to get icons? Maybe like, Star Trek, Simpsons, South Park, and LOTR for instance, and whatever one wins gets some icons.

Maybe?

11. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.