main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    People have latched on to the fact that it doesn't lead into The Empire Strikes Back, but it also doesn't fit with A New Hope. It fits a bit better with the novelization (like Vader's blue lightsaber) but even then, how'd our Tatooine boy learn to swim? He doesn't even know what a duck is! And Leia doesn't, even though the book makes a big deal about her other training (but still makes sure to put Luke in the lead). Vader's out of character and uses the wrong lightsaber. Luke can't use the Force without being possessed by the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Lightsabers have to plug into the wall like a cell phone.

I disagree.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Though I did always like how nicely Splinter linked up with "If you choose to face Vader you will do so alone. I cannot interfere."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    In my own opinion the new canon could do with its own large scale war like the clone wars they could set it anywhere before episode 1 or between episode 8 & 9? I know we had the battle of jakku but that was the end of the empire ! maybe a new clone war or droid war or the Hutts.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    There's this whole show on Netflix you might wanna check out. It's good!

5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is anyone else envious that Legends has so many cool sci-fi tech concepts and canon hasn’t caught up yet. 8-}

kalzeth and sidv88 like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Arguably the first EU work, the comic strip the Keeper's World, had full fledged Star Trek transporters on an alien world. Even this didn't cause continuity errors because the Rebels weren't able to get the tech for themselves.
    In Legends, Kenobi can't interfere because Kaiburr crystals don't work outside of Mimban. ;)

In new canon, I now foresee trouble in the Force ghost afterlife.
    Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me you couldn't interfere when you could have called down lightning at any time!"

Obi-Wan: "You planned to duel Vader indoors in Cloud City. I can't call lightning on people indoors. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

kalzeth likes this.
  7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    LOL. I agree, a big plot hole. Unless ghosts can't manifest themselves in certain places. Their was an article of a fan theory that ghosts could only appear where their was a great deal of the living force. Any place where their is too much man-made architecture, doesn't work right. Its a shaky theory but its something

Also, perhaps summoning a lightning bolt would still fail, as Vader could sense it and deflect it.

sidv88 likes this.
  8. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Not a plot hole.

The Clone Wars
    and Revenge of the Sith establish that retaining one's individuality in the Netherworld of the Force requires training. Obi-Wan gets better at it through the three times we see him (A New Hope: Voice; The Empire Strikes Back: Barely visible at the beginning, visible at the end. Return of the Jedi: Semi-physical presence, interacts with his environment). So does Qui-Gon between Attack of the Clones, The Clone Wars, and From a Certain Point of View.

Additionally, "cannot interfere" doesn't imply any specific limitation. Qui-Gon says in The Phantom Menace "I can only protect you, I can't [short for "cannot"] fight a war for you." Did you assume he was physically incapable of doing so?

You can assume the text doesn't work and call it a plot hole, or you can trust that it does work and go from there.

jSarek and DarthJaceus like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I suppose I ought to clarify that my earlier post was in relation to the lack of announcements, of future releases currently.

Does it take time to put out a quality piece of merchandise? Certainly, but it's announcements of future releases that really tend to get Lit buzzing. In terms of known releases, there's Thrawn: Alliances and Solo novelisation and then.... Nope, nothing. Yes, Marvel is doing well with the comics but they shouldn't be having to do that as the only act in town.

We're about to enter con season, SDCC etc, will that perhaps correct this? Hmm, what's the appropriate GIF answer? Oh yeah:

[​IMG]
    Then again, Amazon still ain't taking pre-orders for Rebels S4 DVD and that show's over.

10. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Sorry i meant a new war with its own consequences.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ROTJ newcanon junior novelization Beware The Power of the Dark Side, a point is made of how Obi-Wan cannot manifest often or for long - he has to save his appearances for when they will do the most good:

Kenobi told him that his father was a good man who was killed by Darth Vader. And now Luke knows that was a lie.
    So he walks away from Yoda's hut full of all the feelings that Yoda waited so long to warn him about.
    There are many dangers in the swamps of Dagobah. Once, when Luke was here training with Yoda, he was alert to every one of them. Even when running at full speed, every step was chosen carefully.
    But today he walks carelessly through the muck and mire. There's so much in his head he cannot see what is around him.
    He stops briefly to check on some repair work R2 is doing on the X-wing, but he can't focus. He is overwhelmed. Unable to act or even think clearly.
    Far away and yet nearby, Obi-Wan senses all this and knows he must help.
    Like most Jedi, Obi-Wan became part of the Force when he died.
    But Obi-Wan did something the others did not. Guided by the discoveries of his own master, Qui-Gon Jinn, Kenobi found a way to live after death and even return to walk briefly among the living. Not for himself, not for some greedy dream of immortality, but to continue the great fight against evil and tyranny.
    It takes a great effort, a great will, but he collects himself, pulls together the pieces of his consciousness from the endless flowing energy of the Force, and appears before Luke.
    He cannot do this often, only at the key moments in Luke's journey, when a misstep might spell doom, not only for Luke, but for any hope of bringing balance back to the Force and freedom to the people of the galaxy.

And this, he senses, is the most critical moment of all.

"Your insight serves you well, says Obi-Wan. "Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor."
    Luke looks away, across the swamp into the mist and murk. His mind, however, is clearing.
    "What about my mother? Who was she? What happened-"
    "No, Luke," says Obi-Wan. "Let that truth stay with me for now. You carry too many burdens already."
    Luke starts to argue, but sees the pain in his old master's face and simply nods.
    Obi-Wan considers Luke. He cannot see the future as well as Yoda could, but he does sense that Luke will not be able to bury his feelings.
    But, just as Yoda did, Obi-Wan wonders if, perhaps, that might not be a failing at all.
    Obi-Wan and Yoda and Qui-Gon too, were masters of the Force. They buried their feelings and used the Force at its fullest power.
    And they failed to stop the Emperor. They didn't even stop Anakin.
    Perhaps Luke's feelings really will serve him.
    But if not ... all will be lost.
    Obi-Wan can sense his strength growing weak. He cannot bend the laws of nature any further. He must go.
    It will be up to Luke now, he realizes. As he fades out of Luke's world and back into the Force, he says the only thing that is left to say.
    "Luke, the Force will be with you ... always."

DarthJaceus and Jedi Princess like this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Amazon doesn't take pre-orders for any Disney physical media releases. Most don't even show up there until well after their release date (I think Black Panther wasn't available until two weeks later). I don't think the two companies are getting along right now.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm reasonably certain that's only true for the US, otherwise I'd never have been able to get Rebels S1-3 or Rogue One BR on pre-order. And yeah, it does sound like a mess.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Ah, good point, I didn't think about that. The mystery deepens!

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I was able to Pre-Order the Gravity Falls Boxset. That's technically Disney.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  16. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I thoght this thread was post to be fun same with a lot of threads there not fun anymore it's just arguing about wich is better legends or canon. You guys are really destroying threads for me. I like both canons and to say that noting's going on is a little bias, it's only been four years guys there will be more stuff on the way also there's alot out

Stymi and DarthJaceus like this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think what is meant by "nothing" going on is that, in the future, people going through the canon timeline, including the canon Clone Wars, are going to wonder how Anakin got knighted, how Ventress met up with Dooku, how she met Anakin and Obi-Wan, what the mission to Ansion was about, what the incident on Ord Mantell was about, what that business on Cato Neimoida was about, how Palpatine got kidnapped by Grievous, etc are going to run into empty gaps in canon timeline that will probably never be filled.

How did Jango get recruited by Tyranus on Bogden? That is now unanswered by canon and unlikely to be revisited. Why did Dooku leave the Jedi Order? That's kind of important, but the Battle of Galidraan is not canon anymore.

It's very unlikely they will rewrite this stuff again for canon, and that's where the concerns for nothingness are coming from. There are big gaps now in the canon timeline that are likely never to be filled, that were filled by the EU before.

Sith Iratus and kalzeth like this.
  18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Why are you so insistent that these gaps will never be filled? I mean, we've gotten books and comics set during the PT. Hell, the new Thrawn novel will have sections set during the Clone Wars.

Jedi Princess and DarthJaceus like this.
  19. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    well i guess i don't complane about that becuase it helps merge canons fot me but i inderstand will your coming from

Jedi Princess likes this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The new Thrawn novel is covering new ground though. I think realistically talented writers like Zahn aren't going to rewrite stuff like Palpatine's kidnapping that Luceno already worked hard in writing, even though the Luceno book is non canon now. It is very unlikely in any sort of business logic to rewrite old material for canon and think it will sell, and send talented authors to do a repaint job.

Look at DC and it's reboots. If someone knows nothing about DC comic books and read solely from Flashpoint 2011 forward as per the official new DC canon, they will know nothing about Bane crippling Batman, Joker shooting Barbara etc other than in flashback scenes. DC isn't rushing to rewrite these stories into new canon, so why would Star Wars?

Strong storylines like Dick Grayson going to college and Wayne moving out of Wayne manor into a penthouse were never written into new DC canon (other than flashbacks) even decades after Crisis on Infinite Earths. If DC won't rewrite this stuff, why would Star Wars?

The Wrath's origin was completely non-canon to DC's New Earth canon. When they wrote a sequel to the Wrath in New Earth, people were completely lost including me because the sole previous Wrath story was on Earth One! The old Wrath story was never rewritten into canon either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrath_(comics)

21. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    throw i like how some Writers give nods to old Eu Storys making you wonder if simliar if not same thing happen in canon as it died in Legends

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You act like those don't count.

I don't think everything that's been left out will end up being rewritten. I think some events will, but I think most of the other aspects will be reintroduced via flashbacks or mentions in other media. And I think those are all valid to flesh out the timeline.

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You're right they don't count to me. I tried to read up the previous Wrath story (see my edited post earlier) and found it completely incompatible with the new one and was completely confused. This is probably why the Wrath never caught on honestly.

I have no idea if Joe Chill is arrested, dead, escaped, became the Reaper, killed Batman's parents on his own or on orders, or what. This is ridiculous considering he's supposedly the guy who killed Batman's parents (and various reboots also made it unclear whether he actually did it). At some point I just said to DC, enough is enough, and no longer buy their comics. The same is happening to Star Wars, after maybe Vader Down I just stopped buying new canon SW comics.

Having come from the mess of DC's multiple canons is what shaped my view on reboots, and it's why I like Marvel better. When I see SW going the way of DC, it's understandable I have concerns considering how the various reboots of DC made DC an incomprehensible mess to me.

If I wanted to find how Damian Wayne was born, I don't know where to look honestly. In some future date, a fan might want to know how Dooku left the Jedi and won't even know where to start due to similar canon confusions.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    I enjoyed all as to way is becuase i have a ton of Legends comics and character like Quinlan vos who i loved as a charcter and canon gave me anther jedi to love Kanan and ezra. So really i love both in amazing ways

DarthJaceus and sidv88 like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel's only really much better at disguising or do you think Tony Stark still created the Iron Man while captured by North Vietnamese guerillas?

DC reboot and sure, it gets them into all kinds of messes, but Marvel's "sliding timeline" isn't actually much better.