main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Darth Tyranus is better than Darth Maul?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jedi_Master_Isaiah, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C3PO64

C3PO64 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Dooku used Force lightning so I think he is better than Darth Maul.

2. Hamtaro

Hamtaro Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    ray Park beats Christopher Lee

Darth Maul beats Dooku

:)

3. INDIANAJonesRULES

INDIANAJonesRULES Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    Hamtaro, What does Ray Park beating Christopher Lee have to do with Count Dooku and Darth Maul? We are debating which character is better than the other. That is irrelavant to the argument.

4. Jericho

Jericho Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002

Dooku is more powerful, but a sabre battle would be interesting.

5. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    My impression of Dooku, the moment the battle began, and after the film, was "Holy Cow this guys miles beyond Darth Maul and that guy was a baaaad mother!"

I can't see it any other way. I find it hard to believe that at this point even sidious can control him.

6. INDIANAJonesRULES

INDIANAJonesRULES Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    cratylus, Another thing is that I would loved to have seen him fight Yoda when he was fresh and prepared so to speak. As others have alluded to I do not think that he really wanted to fight Yoda because he was more interested in escape. People harp and promote the fact that Yoda got the better of Dooku but when you really think about it Yoda was fresher for the battle then Dooku was. The simple fact that Dooku held his own against Yoda ought to speak a lot for how POWERFUL Dooku is.

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    IJR, just a reminder, the midichlorian counts you brought up are completely false. I don't know if you knew that, but they are not official and as such can't be used to prove anything.

Having said that, it is my opinion that Dooku is both better and cooler. He's Christopher Lee! How can he not be? :D

8. pennywise

pennywise Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    How ridiculous. Out of all 4 known users of the dark side of the force, Maul ranks right at the bottom. Don't get me wrong though, I really like Maul. But being able to move fast in saber duels and wield a mean double-bladed saber doesn't mean that he's more powerful than Dooku. Maul just screams "I am an extremely well-trained APPPRENTIIICEEE" and doesn't hold a candle to the other 3 Dark Lords.

Enter Darth Tyrannus.

With his charisma, he managed to rally various factions to his separatist cause. He held his ground while battling someone as powerful as Yoda (I doubt Maul could do the same). He completely bested both Obi-Wan and Anakin, while the former is a more mature and powerful Jedi since TPM. His power in the Force is undeniable, and he was able to use the Lighting. What's more, his lightsaber style is of the older, purer one-handed variety - the man has got class AND power. I bet everyone here 10 Rupees that Dooku can kick Windu's ass.

9. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    As my father put it, Lord Maul isn't really a Lord.

10. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    He's a Lord of the Sith, by golly. 8-}

11. jazzman

jazzman Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2002
    Look Dooku and ATC was great but Maul was the MF'n man. The way he kept drop kicking both Obi Wan and Qui Jon, do you remember the way he got off his bike-flipped in the air , turned on his saber and just started to throw the heat on Anakin's planet-looked seamless.

That lightning crap is effective but there is nothing like double sided saber play. One of the best scenes in all of the episodes is Maul gritting is cavity encrusted teeth at Qui Jon. The worst part of TPM was killing Maul. (No I don't believe Maul is better than Vader!)

12. Mephisto04

Mephisto04 Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    DARTH MAUL FANS UNITE!
    Ok, let's do the math here:

0. Before I begin, let me clearify why was Maul killed? Well, he fought Obi Wan who is INVINCIBLE. I mean obi wan cannot die right? SO that leaves GL 2 options for Maul, run or die. In that circumstance, Maul had nowhere to run, so he had to die.

1. Darth Maul has a face that makes dooku look like Obi wan's grandpa

2. Maul fought 2 jedi at once and killed one, Dooku? Hmm, so he ALMOST killed 2, but almost doesn't cut it.

3. Sure u can argue Dooku is more powerful than Darth Maul and I can't really say that Maul can beat Dooku given the AGE and EXPERIENCE difference. But Dooku is so BORING, all he does all day is launch lightning bolts that doesn't look nearly as good as palpy. The fight between him and anakin looks like that fight in ANH where everyone's feet is planted to the gound. I mean why don't GL make a sith that just stands there and kills everyone around him with his mind?

So who would u want to watch, dooku or maul.

4. Maul was the ONLY good thing in episode I

5. IMO, Dooku has a crappy looking lightsaber while Maul has one that was invented by Exar Kun, the greatest Sith there ever was.

13. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

Jedi_Master_Isaiah Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    Mephisto04 brings up some good points about Darth Maul. For those of you who do not know me, I only like pre-TPM EU books. I have read plenty of them. My favorite is "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter," by Michael Reaves. I'm letting my girlfriend read it now. She'd probably side with you Darth Maul fans. Anyway, my point is that there are more EU books about Maul. I wish someone would write an EU book about Darth Tyranus.

Although I think Tyranus is better than Maul, I am a fan of both Sith. I am so glad my thread here is not dead.

Up!

14. Darth_Taz

Darth_Taz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Depends lots of people will say Dooku cos he beats Obi Wan, but I think Obi just have trouble with people who have been trained old skool like Dooku, or finds people who use brute strengh easier, My favourite-Maul, The Strongest-Tyranus...

Tyranus is older and has been trained longer

15. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The things I liked about Lord Maul was his personality. Quiet, anti social, and deadly.
    And he had exceptional fighting skills. But he doesn't seem to cut it when it comes to power. I believe Qui-Gon was more powerful than him, but Maul's athletic ability and agility along with his doublebladed lightsaber made him a formiddible opponent.

Count Dooku is far different. I mean, he dismantled Obi-1 in less time than it took for Maul to disarm him of his lightsaber.

Not only that. Dooku played with Obi-1 while Maul had his hands full with Obi-1 the padawan learner.

16. Master-Omaj-Kadub

Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 22, 2000
    "I think this makes for good conversation?"

Let me see....who trained Maul?
    Sidious? Probably didn't have enough time.
    One of the Jedi Master's? Not unless he went renagade.
    Tyranus? Hummm....it fits...

Therefore....Tyranus would probably beat Maul sensless....

17. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    As my six year old nephew put it (now seven), "Count Dooku was more powerful but Darth Maul was more talented."

Aside from being a precocious comparison, I think there is something in that. Maul had a flair for display; he was showy with his power...in away he had something to prove. Dooku has nothing to prove until he confronts Yoda.

I don't know, everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. I just think that Dooku turns out to be a more formidable villain.

18. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    MEPHISTO-- I am with you all the way. Maul to me was superior to Dooku. People are just getting caught up in all of the pre-AOTC spoiler hype that was going to make Dooku into this mighty, powerful, talkative Sith, who was so far beyond Maul. In the end, Dooku got probably less screen time than my man Maul.

But getting right to the debate, you raise the best points already:

1) Again, Maul had to fight Qui Gon, known as one of the best saber fighters in Jedi history and Obi Wan, a very well-trained padawan, at the same time. Why does he not credit for this??? Dooku got to face a wild, undicisplined and EXTREMELY inneffective Anakin, who left his defenses wide open for Dookula to lop his arm off and then face Obi Wan. Maul had the greater challenege.

2) From a pure combat standpoint, Maul faced a much greater onsluaght of strikes than Dooku. IN TPM, QG and Obi Wan are repeatedly going for kill shots, whereas in AOTC, Anakin barely does anything in terms of even brushing Dooku back and Obi Wan puts up a a minimal fight.

3) Force Lightning-- Now that we know it can be simply stopped by lifting your saber, this power really meanms nothing. It's just a show item. Against a skilled Jedi Master, it's useless.

4) Fighting Yoda-- This I have to give Dooku great credit for, but when you think about it, it was a very physical, fast-paced fight. When Yoda was in Sonic the Hedgehog on Acid mode, he was coming at Dooku with lightning strikes, which the Sith Lord deftly defended. But this is Maul's strength! Agility anbd exterity are his strong points, I think he could have just as effectively blocked Yoda's strikes.

So at this point, I don't see any reason to give Dooku some great edge. Sure, we can talk about Dooku's backstory..etc., but I only go by what is in the movies. At that point, Dooku was no more impressive than Maul. If anything Maul gets the edge because he killed the Jedi Master and looked much more impressive in doing it.

19. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Darth Maul is a better sith, people only think hes good because he was beating obi-wan and anakin, he only beat them because he was using old jedi technics that arent used anymore, if he didnt use the old technics he would have used.

20. starwarsfan182

Aug 8, 2002
    void the last used i meant to say beaten

21. starwarsfan182

Aug 8, 2002
    sry again, tyranus "would have been beaten"

22. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    No way, Tyranus would of taken them out in no time.

23. flagg

flagg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 1999
    "Dooku asking Obi Wan to help him destroy the Sith was pointless. It was just thrown in to "mirror" ESB. Why the heck would Obi Wan accept that offer?? Dooku had just captured him and put him in restratins. There was no bond between them."

Sigh . . .
    Once again we have someone completely misunderstanding the point of a scene in the prequels. Dooku didn't want Obi-Wan to join him. He just wanted to sow the seeds of doubt in Obi-Wan's mind and make the Jedi paranoid and mistrustful of the Republic.

24. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    hey, that guy's right!

25. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Which is in fact how Dooku feels about the Republic, he does not trust it at all, thus he wants to end the corruption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.