main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Does Bill Cosby get a pass?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Feb 25, 2014.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Alright, I guess.

You're just saying that they're different, not saying that one is less awful than the other, correct?

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I feel a thread coming on

G-FETT likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes.

Well. As a general rule yes; Wocky has only supported Cosby as far as I know. He's not carried a Jimmy Saville icon for long past the date that allegations surfaced.

jp-30 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

+1

Just look at former Rolling Stones bassist, Bill Wyman. Somewhere in his fifties he married a thirteen year old. Yes, this was a legal arrangement but if he could get away with it legally, what do you think rock stars get away with under the table when it's away from the public and illegal?

Hint: their attitude would be similar to drugs i'd say.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not that his relationship with her is any less abhorrent, but she did not marry him when she was 13. I think you're getting Jerry Lee Lewis and Bill Wyman confused.

Juliet316 and Ender Sai like this.
  6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I believe at least a few of Cosby's victims were under 18 at the time the assaults happened.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ...which makes Wocky's endorsement even more heartbreaking.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, there's at least one that's still being investigated that's still open to possiblecriminal legal action because she was 15 during one of Cosby's rapes (statue of limitations being different for minors in many states than for adults)

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Tell us more about that statue Juliet316

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Bill Wyman met Mandy Smith when she was thirteen, they slept together when she was fourteen and married when she was eighteen. But there was criticism in the media about it.

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Sorry, I missed by one year. She was 14.Though in all fairness I think he may have married her until she was a few years older, but the marriage still took place prior to 20. But you are correct, he didn't marry her at the age that I originally thought.

On the other hand, Wyman isn't the strangest part of it when you look at Smith's hindsight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Cosby won't be prosecuted, let alone get prison. Money talks, and settlements will follow. Remember a couple of years ago when John Travolta faced accusations from numerous male masseurs? That went very quiet, very quickly. This is a legacy ruiner, but that's about it.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Cosby won't go to prison because the statutes of limitations have passed in most, if not all, of the cases and there's probably not enough evidence to convict. But settlements are for civil court, not criminal. He wouldn't go to prison for losing a lawsuit.

14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Cosby is positioning himself. The confessions so far are purely tactful so once at trial the defence can argue:

- It's something he's lived with for some time

- He's confessed

- It tormented him and he regrets it

- Since then he's become an even more revered icon of the small screen along with philanthropic endeavours

- He's elderly

- He won't do it again

Essentially, the case will be argued on the merit of character outside of the allegations where it will be whitewashed with extraneous evidence.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Settlements for this will be before court. As in "out of court settlement"

But fair enough, you think Cosby will be in Court, I don't. I'm more pessimistic that you, perhaps. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't think he will be in court, either. I hope we are wrong. This is incredibly disturbing, and I hope it becomes widely unacceptable to cover up and ignore victims' experiences like this.

It is incredibly upsetting. I don't know if Cosby has enough money to sate all these accusers, but I'm glad they're coming forward and exposing him for what he is. It's deeply perverse and upsetting when anyone gets away with these horrible acts. People used to get away with such vile things all the time, and this is why I'm glad that it's harder to get away with it now.

Juliet316 and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wow... holy ****.

Wayans responded. "And some of them, really, is un-rapeable. I look at them and go, ‘No, he don’t want that. Get outta here!’”

Yeah.... he said "un-rapeable" ... I feel like throwing up.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Here's the interview... judge for yourself (the Cosby bit starts around 26:00).

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Jesus ****.

"Just listen to what they're saying."

Listen to what you're saying.

"You know what, it's '78, it don't work no more. I can't get it up, for any of ya'll."

I guess that's why the last allegation happened in 1978. After that he stopped bothering with women, right?

"You know what Bill Cosby did wrong? He started criticizing young black men."

Yeah, that's what it is. If he hadn't criticized young black men, this wouldn't even be a thing. No one would believe this. That's what he did wrong. He criticized young black men. Not rape.

You know what part was fake as ****?

"There may be. And for them, my heart goes out to them. For anybody who was raped by Bill Cosby, I'm sorry, and I hope you get justice."

That voice was fake as ****, it was like his geeky white guy voice. There was no sincerity in that.

Awful. Just awful.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    About damn time.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I guess the 21st century hasn't yet seen an American media circus trial of the magnitude this one is going to reach.