main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Does TFA undermine the prequels?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Carrie Walsh, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    Setting aside personal opinions about the credibility of the prequels, do you think TFA ruins them as far as continuity goes? The entire trilogy centered around the chosen one who would wipe out the Sith and bring balance to the Force. Now the Dark Side is being used again in this new trilogy, making the prophecy seem pointless.

Maybe it depends on how you interpret "balance." Snoke and Kylo Ren aren't technically Sith as far as we know, so the prophecy still stands in that respect. Still, the two sides of the Force are at odds again. That doesn't sound like balance to me. It makes Anakin's redemption feel so trivial.

That being said, if we ignore the prequels (which I think is the point), TFA fits perfectly with the OT.

2. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    no it doesn't, just like a movie set in 2015 doesn't constantly refer to what the main character's great grandfather did in world war 2.

Edit:
    What I mean is, the prequels happened a really long time ago, it wouldn't make sense to constantly refer to them. The whole "balance" thing is 100% up to interpretation, and nobody said that balance would last forever. You NEED order and chaos alike, that's balance. Only order is not.

Hanyou, IG-13, mickythejedi and 3 others like this.
  3. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    No. Kylo is very similar to Anakin. He's even getting a similar scar.

4. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    balance is an equal standing between the light and the dark which is what we have at this point as far as we know. Two for the light and two for the dark.

5. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I don't think TFA undermines the prequels. Maybe Anakin isn't the chosen one. Maybe it isn't even Rey. After all, there are episodes 10-12 to consider. Maybe the chosen one will bring balance to the force in that trilogy.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  6. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I don't see an issue with the prequels. Just because balance is brought to the Force does't mean it will stay balanced forever. Vader saving Luke stills gives hope in the new struggle against the FO.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    How can it undermine something it barely references?

Ian passman and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I actually think invalidating the OT (thematically) is a bigger concern. This is a sequel to Ep VI, a grand conclusion and basically it's all happening again with some different faces in some of the spots.

CISMestizo and Force22 like this.
  9. Bigger Fish

Bigger Fish Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Anakin brought balance when the Sith were defeated, for a time.

The Chosen One is to defeat the Sith specifically, not defeat all the dark side forever, correct?

B99, Darkslayer, IG-13 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    That isn't how Lucas saw the Force being balanced. I read where he said the dark side that was like a disease in the Force and unbalanced it. Balancing the Force requires destroying the dark side.

psyarg, solo77 and Valairy Scot like this.
  11. JediRocks74

Oct 7, 2015

I disagree with this. Evil has no place in society. If dangerous and filthy evil doers exist to do harm to good people, there is no balance. Balance and harmony can only be achieved when the dark side is vanquished.

Eternal_Jedi and FRAGWAGON like this.
  12. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I always thought the interpretation of "balance" was ambiguous. Did he achieve it by killing all of the Jedi, thus leaving two Sith and two jedi? Did he create balance by killing the Emperor?

13. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    What would you say the point of the prophecy was then if everything just goes back to hell 30 years later?

14. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Not the dark side but the sith.

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There are a few varied interpretations of exactly what the dark side is, though

Is it the yang to the light side's yin? Or is it an unnatural distortion of the Force?

The Chosen One was said to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. He did both

We already have confirmed (lol almost put this next part in spoiler tags. habits) that there are no more Sith. Now as for the Force staying balanced, that's the tricky thing

I don't feel like TFA undermined them. If anything, it acknowledges them in a positive light by putting in a line directly referencing the results of the prophecy

Eternal_Jedi and Redimet like this.
  16. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Well you are not the one telling the story. You can't rid the world of darkness. You need both for balance.

EviL_eLF and Redimet like this.
  17. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Yin and Yang light and dark. You can not appreciate the light if there is no dark and you can not understand the horror of the dark when there is no light.

18. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I don't think it undermines the PT, it undermines the OT, I don't like the Happy Ending Override that after all the good things everyone in the OT, they get no reward, and their family lives sucked.

obi_kenobi_24 and Gobi-1 like this.
  19. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Nobody even knows where the "prophecy" came from, let alone how legitimate it was. "bring balance to the force", as far as I'm concerned, does not mean "bring and maintain balance to the force infinitely"

nalkwan and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    That's the only way we're left to interpret it now, which is why it feels so trivial. It took 30 something years for the prophecy to be fulfilled, and peace lasted for less time than it took to attain. I'm not saying TFA contradicts the prequels, but it does make the story they were trying to tell feel less important to the overall saga.

21. JediRocks74

Oct 7, 2015

No way. Dangerous and evil people like the Sith, Empire, First Order bring no balance to society. Killing innocent people brings no balance to society. These movies are about good vs evil. Plain and simple. I think you are watching these movies for different reasons than most people. Maybe you are rooting for the First Order. lol

22. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Like others, I think balance is ambiguous and we don't exactly know what it means canonically.

IMO, Anakin basically cleans the slate for the galaxy. The dark side and the sith had became deeply embedded in the galaxy. The Jedi had became overly dogmatic. When Anakin destroys both these groups he doesn't ensure eternal peace and happiness, he gives the force a fresh starting point. That is what Luke represents, a brand new era of the force.

23. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Actually it helps the PT.

It gave clarity to what it means to bring balance to the Force. Now we know that the darkside skews the Force.

Eternal_Jedi and IG-13 like this.
  24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Lucas has stated that balance requires the dark side. The dark side is in all things: it's our aggressive side that even Jedi use.

It's only out of balance when it begins to serve selfish purposes.

The dark side is not the same as evil.

Darkslayer, Fandalorian and Redimet like this.
  25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No, nothing is undermined at all in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.