main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Downloading Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kalio_Dynkos, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Hey, guys!

I'm sure you're busy, so hopefully just a quick question. With the truncated posts issue unresolved (hot topic, I know), I was looking to back some stuff up and was curious what the best way is.

Is there a way to download an entire thread with all of its contents for offline viewing? Even if its truncated, it's better than losing all of it. I've found a number of tools online, but no idea if any of them actually work and was curious if anyone knows a method of downloading just one whole thread from page 1 to the page...um..end.

Thanks!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We used to have a tool on the old boards for archiving threads -- but it was a program one of our former mods wrote herself, and I doubt it'll function on the new board software right out of the box. Don't know of any other board-specific solutions.

Kalio_Dynkos likes this.
  3. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Ok. Thanks for the answer.

I appreciate you taking the time. :)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi @Kalio_Dynkos -- there is a thread in Fan Fiction and Writing Resource -- the Fan Fiction Writer's Desk -- you can also pose this question there. If there are any workarounds/suggestions, some one will give the tip/hint. :) There is something called the Wayback Machine but I'm not sure how many threads are stored and/or can be retrieved from there. [face_thinking]

Kalio_Dynkos likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  6. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Thanks! I have looked into this as an alternative. In some cases itsbeen helpful. In others, the snapshots are either too recent or too old, but it is something! So thanks for that!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.