main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC East Coast Snow Storm

Discussion in 'Community' started by darth_gersh, Jan 23, 2016.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    How are you backs doing?

I would help but I don't own a shovel.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I live in an apartment, what shovel suckas?

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    A little bird told me that Juliet has been shoveling for the last 7 hours.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    We're doing good here in my stretch of New York. Have power, food etc. It's so beautiful out there. About 12" so far and the snow keeps coming, shoveled my mom's car out and other parts of the property. Had fun.

Hoping everyone else is safe and has what they need (power, warmth, etc.)

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's 59 degrees and cloudy here. Awful weather.

solojones and KnightWriter like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A friend of mine is in southern Connecticut and he's already shoveled a few times, as well as refilling his bird feeders. He says the birds are going nuts over the seed since they can't find their normal food. I've been bouncing around the news channels watching the coverage. (I used to live in CT as well..)

7. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    There was a man shoveling outside of my apartment from 8:00 to 1:00-ish.

I have lots of beer, I'm good.

tom likes this.
  8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Best thing about where I'm at in Virginia is that most of the snow is powder. Still have the ice sheet underneath, but it's possible to get out.

9. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Just mowed my lawn. Had to put on a light sweater, but then it was sunny, so I took it off halfway through.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Mid-50s here, little bit of rain. Life is good.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We had about an inch of snow on top of an inch of ice. My kids were pissed that there was not enough snow to make snow cream.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just went out into the blizzard for 1.5 hrs, starting during a lull. The winds roared back about partway through, so I fled but I took some nice photos of the National Mall. :)

I don't know what madness possessed me, but I hate being cooped up and it sounded like an adventure, so. Plus, trudging through knee-to-waist high snow is amazing.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My snow thrower doesn't have a back.

14. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Snow is definitely approaching 3 feet by me...the dog had to go for a poop (she hasn't pooped since Thursday night :( she's all out of whack) and it was not pleasant. I don't recommend yoga pants for trekking out in the snow drifts.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love doing that, I'd probably be out doing it right now but I twisted my ankle yesterday (before the snow started, stupidly) so it's not the best idea. I'll still probably go out eventually anyway. Trudging through waist high snow is quite the workout.

I'm super happy to be in an apartment and not to have to shovel snow anymore. The > 6ft we got last year in Boston was enough shoveling for me for awhile.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is! I regularly go to the Mall and it's usually a short, pleasant walk but this time it felt like I'd gone running several miles. It's actually a cool way to get a workout, trudging through snow is more fun than running. But I imagine it would get old reallllly quickly if I lived somewhere where this was more common.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  17. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I don't worry about shoveling. Everything usually melts within two days.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've lived my entire life in places where it snows a lot and I still love trudging through it. But I really like winter and I love the snow, so maybe I'm just weird.
    Strangely, I never got into winter sports, though. I grew up 20 minutes from a decent size ski resort and only went once.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One of my favorite all time moments was being in the spa/pool area of a sky resort while it was snowing. Gently falling flakes + steam from the water + night falling = magic.

Rew and mavjade like this.
  20. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    *dismounts tauntaun*

20 inches so far. A whopping 30 by 4AM is the most recent prediction.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The cars in my parking lot are pretty much totally covered. I am kinda concerned about taking the dog out tonight to go potty. There is enough snow in the stairwell that I might encourage her to pee there and then scoop the yellow snow off the edge.

22. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    I actually saw a bird out there.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Still coming down here in central NJ. They figure it'll ease off by midnight, with a total of around 24 inches. My brothers & I were out clearing out the front & back doors so we wouldn't have as much to clean off tomorrow morning. We also have two very good neighbors who are generous with their respective snowblowers. And tomorrow's church services were cancelled, so I don't have to worry about driving on semi-plowed roads tomorrow.

This is one of those rare snow events where my Mom in northeastern PA is getting less snow than we are.

24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Trudging through the snow is great fun. I'll be going back out early tomorrow morning to repeat the digging out, digits crossed the snow will still be powder-like then too.

25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'll be going up to the mountains tomorrow to find some snow to X-C or snowshoe on. Hoping the snow level is low enough today that it won't be soggy snow