main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emperors change of personality

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthLegion012, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLegion012

DarthLegion012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2006
    I liked the Emperor, and I belived that he was the best in Episode 3, until he become a ugly-faced picture of evil {after he's fight with Mace Windu).I mean before that he was a calm and calculated dark lord always attacking from the shadows like real Sith, and then he become an ordinary vilian from comic books or cartoons.He recived that madman laughter always enjoy to talk about he's mastermind plans for Republic (or Empire) domination.

2. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I do not think it was a xchange of personality. He was always the Sith, and after the cahnge he stil stayed illusive as the chanselor, though he was the sith.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I personally think it's tied to him finally embracing the dark side of the force fully. In the commentary John Knoll says it's Palpatine's exertion while using the lightning that transforms him. This leads me to believe that Sidious was making an effort to control his anger pre-Mace fight so as not to deform himself. During the fight and after the fight it was too late and no longer mattered. So he finally reveals himself to be the truly evil individual he was all along.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I like it.

The fact that he is basically Looney underneath shows just how good of an actor Palps and McDiarmid are.

The situation kind of reminds me of Bill's (from Kill Bill) speech about Superman. Superman was always Superman, but he took on the character of Clark Kent because that was how Superman saw "normal people."

"The Supreme Chancellor" is like that for Palpatine.

5. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He was always a "Mr. Burns" type of cackling, over the top, crazy, plotting, Legion-of-Doom style supervillain, he just hid it very well in TPM and AOTC. During the events of ROTS he becomes Emperor, turns Anakin, and destroys the Jedi in one fell swoop, so he cuts loose a little. He's earned it.

6. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    He was around before Mr Burns.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's Palpatine finally unleashing all of his anger and hate, as well as his giddyness at finally winning against the Jedi. He's just filled with the dark side pouring throug him and revealing in his victories.

8. DarthLegion012

Sep 30, 2006
    I'm just saying that Palpatine has better plans and he was pretty much smarter.They are completely diferent characters to me.Emperors only plan was just kill, kill and kill.

9. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    It was the real Palpatine just waiting to get out.

10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Nothing wrong with a man taking joy in what he does.

11. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    You know you're in the absolutely perfect job when you can give it all and still have a blast at work.

Sids can finally let his hair down and experience the orgasm of violence and hate that he's been craving for so long. He doesn't need to hold back.

Plus the transformation transitions him to the over-the-top OT character that we all know and love.

12. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    That was his true personality showing. He had his apprentice and his empire so why hide it?

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    By the time he transforms, his decades-long plan has come to fruition; Anakin has joined him, the Jedi are about to be destroyed, and Palpatine is free to form the Galactic Empire. There's no need to hide behind the mask anymore. As said many times, it's the release of anger, rage and passion that gives him a maniacal edge in RotS. As of RotJ, he's still a cackling super-villain, but don't forget he's still planning the downfall of his enemies, and the turning of Skywalker.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    When Palpatine bellows "Power, unlimited power" it is basically Palpatine summing up the Sith way. The goals of the Sith. And why Anakin would betray Mace like that. It's not about right or wrong with the Sith. It's about power. Mace's yell is indicitive of demanding why and Palpatine tells him why. His gloating over Yoda after blasting him is due to his smug attitude. That sense of pride in acomplishing a thousand year task and now he's going to teach that like green frog what the dark side is really all about. He stops laughing after Yoda gives him one hell of a shove. But once they're in the Senate and Palpatine starts tossing the pods at Yoda, it is his way of gloating once again. He has the high ground. The advantage. Its all too easy for Palpatine, whereas Yoda is struggling to keep up. He laughs again at the end of the fight, because he's holding on to the pod. Yoda, meanwhile, is taking a mighty long tumble to the floor of the Senate Rotunda. After that, he's back to himself. And by the time we catch up to him in the OT, he's much more stable. He still laughs when the duel begins and when Vader throws his saber at Luke. But that is because this is going well. He's enjoying himself. He only stops gloating when Luke rejects his teachings. Then he's furious at Luke for wasting his time. Rather than cackle about it, he's punishing Luke. Taking sick pleasure in the suffering of another. He has not been this angry since Mace said that he would let the Senate decide his fate.

15. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    For 1000 years the Republic plodded along without realizing that the Sith were right under their noses. During this 'sleep time' the Jedi grew to overly trust and respect their politicians as they dealt with ordinary undesirables througout the galaxy from atop the ivory tower of the Jedi Temple. When Palpatine killed Plagueis he no doubt soon realized (if he hadn't before that fateful act) that the time was ripe for some masterful deception and manipulation of a type unseen since the days of Darth Bane. Palpatine deftly played the part that the Jedi expected of their politicians, be it Senator from Naboo, Chancellor or Supreme Chancellor.

The Jedi were at the tail end of a 1000 year sleepwalk, and Palps was not about to unnecessarily alert them until they were smack in the middle of a nightmare from which they could not wake up. So Palps started every day by donning his Chancellor's role, stepping on stage and playing the part of the gentle, wise Chancellor. Pent up under it all, as Sinister notes, is the boiling hate and controlled rage of a Master Sith. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine is a stage act, a sham, a lethal ruse pulled upon the Jedi. Only after he achieves his complete revenge, he lets his true badness show.

16. DarthLegion012

Sep 30, 2006
    You guys are right.Thank you for posting replys.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It's not just Palpatine's personality (calm vs. arrogant) that changes. His personality change is accompanied by changes in his eyes, skin, tone, and speech (he speaks slower and has a more dramatic way of moving his lips while speaking) all change. Why he find it necessary to put on a show for even his own apprentices away from the eyes of the public is intriguing. Perhaps as with Anakin Sidious convinced his other apprentices they were doing "good" and did not want them to see his true self. While in the case with Anakin, Anakin felt as though he had no other choice and so Sidious' image became irrelevant.

18. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Why does everyone think Palpatine's true personality is that of a cackling fool?

Why does everyone think he was concealing his hate and his anger?

I think he just lost his mind. He was sane in the prequels, and insane in the OT.

The Emperor is not the "real" Palpatine.

You had it right in the beginning, DarthLegion012.

is vader the real anakin?

19. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Nah. Sideous for all the time we knew him embraced the Dark Side, unlike some of the other so called Dark Lords in the Saga.

His act just made him a greater Dark Lord.

20. DarthArachnid

DarthArachnid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    yeah, i too find it hard to swallow, the way his personality went. He shouldve been the cold, aristocratic ubermind he was in tpm, aotc and rotj. Sidious shouldnt be fighting with the lightsaber, he finds it a lesser weapon. Also the makeup looks just sloppy, especially in the senate fight. The movie would have been way better and darker if they kept his old, more untouchable, sinister personality.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, at this point (ROTS) he's not in the middle of a personal story arc like Bane's in POD. He fully embraced the dark side long ago.

IMO he "always" looked like that.

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I have to agree with the original post; Palpatine changed so fast I was like "Who the heck is THAT GUY?" He wasn't the Supreme Chancellor guy anymore, he wasn't the Darth Sidious we saw in the past two movies, and he wasn't really the Emperor we saw in ROTJ for that matter.

Considering how much his personality changes, along with his face and new fashion statement, I'm surprised the Senators didn't try to have him dragged out of building during his little speech.

23. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, I would say the lightning probably killed more than a few of his brain cells. Combine that with the freedom he felt no longer having to keep up the "Palpatine the Wise" persona.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.