main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Epic Duels Discussions

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by target-maxfirepower, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithlord-Boo

Sithlord-Boo Jedi Master star 2

Jan 29, 2003
    Me and my friends usually played 2 on 2. This game is awesome. Me and my one friend always used one move to get rid of a character. I would use the emperor, and use the card that makes a certain player lose all their cards, and then as vader, he would use all to easy, and without a block, the hit is worth 20. There is good strategy with two players.

2. sageofdoom

sageofdoom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    epic duels is sweeet
    but vader has liek no def
    and palpatine ownz 2 much if u have him in a cornera(like on kamino)

3. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Valacar - I was thinking of maybe having Order 66 be part of the house rules. Perhaps if the Emperor is in play, he can declare "Order 66," roll the die and if it comes up green (or whatever everyone decides on) all the clones in play turn on the lightsiders -- if you're adjacent to one you're immediately gunned down.

Overall, none of the darksiders really have good defense (or at least not special cards that give good defense). I think Maul's "Martial Defense" is the only real defense card they've got. Everything else is just the standard attack/defense cards.

Like Sithlord-Boo said, "All Too Easy" also works well with "You Will Die." That's how I usually use it in team play.

Great ideas for new decks, The2ndQuest. I was looking through the SW minatures lists and thinking about which ones would make nice new playables. Too bad there isn't a Khaleen miniature to match up with Quinlan.

4. Valacar

Valacar Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2004
    I meant "you will die" instead of "let go of your hatered", oh well.

I don't think the clones would instantly kill. I tend to he=ave my clone troopers infront of me instead of behind. Maybe each Clone does 1-2 damage to their major character, or role the die- Green the clones die and red the Jedi dies, or the player reveals every clone trooper card in their hand and give damage to the Jedi according to the total. 1/2 damage if there is only 1 trooper left. But then the Emperor would be too powerful.

My friend called me today and asked me a question about Epic Duels. It was the first round in a best of seven duel between Maul and Han. The droids died at the start, Maul rushed in and after killing Chewbacca brought Han down to 2 health. Han did an attack 4 and the only card a nearly dead Maul had, was Blinding Surge. So the question is: Who wins?

I say it was a draw.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Too bad there isn't a Khaleen miniature to match up with Quinlan.<<

A Quin/Aayla pair could work, if balanced properly.

6. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    The droids died at the start, Maul rushed in and after killing Chewbacca brought Han down to 2 health. Han did an attack 4 and the only card a nearly dead Maul had, was Blinding Surge. So the question is: Who wins?

How many health points did Maul have? You could always decide by who was "deader" :p But yeah, I'd have called it a draw, too.

Quin/Aayla would make a great pair! After Republic 75, I'd forgotten how much I'd missed seeing them fight together. I understand there are custom Luminara/Barriss and Qui-Gon/young Obi-Wan out there, so other Master/Padawan pairings would be nice.

Actually, I've always wanted to pair Yoda with Chewbacca. But Duels really doesn't allow for that sort of thing, which is probably why I'm looking into developing rules for a Duels/Miniatures hybrid game.

7. sageofdoom

sageofdoom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    ^ id call tht a draw too

8. Valacar

Oct 26, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Maul had 2 health left as well.

I played my friend again today. My friend: Yoda, Vader, and Han VS. My: Obi-Wan, Windu, and Maul. It was in the Emperor's thrown room. I started 2nd by his chair. Long match short: I won.

Then his Boba against my Maul on Kamino platform. He started first with the advantage of the ship. I won. It came down to a dice roll. My friend having taken a 50-50 risk to use a thermal detonator.

Epic Duels is so cool.

Has anyone made an expansion deck for Qui-Gon?

9. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Yoda can be a wild card. I did a 2-on-1 as Yoda against Jango and Boba on the Kamino platform and still managed to beat them. Another fun story? Obi-Wan vs. Boba: close game, in the end they're just hacking away at each other with whatever attack card they draw. Obi-Wan finally beats Boba but Greedo takes the Jedi out with Desperate Shot -- the ONLY time it's worked in a game I've played (I always play to last man standing, even if it's a minor).

I know there are at least 3 Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan custom decks, but I haven't actually looked at them. I've cobbled together what sems to me to be a pretty nice deck for Aayla from three custom decks. I'll have to give it a test run soon.

As for an "Order 66" house rule, I think it really should be a devastating move should it succeed but equally devastating for the Emperor should it fail. Maybe he has to give up his entire hand in order to give the order (to prevent the player from doing it at the drop of a hat) and a green or purple die roll decides if the order is carried out or not.

I can only imagine what Order 66 would be like if you had a squad of clones with you in the minatures game...

10. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I own 13 copys of this game.
    No really. For a long, long time it was the only source of 30mm Star Wars miniatures. Everytime I saw one in the store I'd buy it.

I keep one for playing the regular game, the rest have been broken down to use in real miniatures games.

EDIT: The amount of customization you are all including is wild.
    I would suggest moving on to the Star Wars Miniatures game. The play is very obviously based on Epic Duels, but it's expanded in much the same way the people here are trying to do.

Leave ED as a fast play game, and move to something diffrent for a more involved game. Just my $0.02.

11. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I think the card says something to the effect of: "After taking the damage Darth Maul deals 3 damage to the attacking character" keyword being after as that would suggest that Darth Maul takes the damage first. In this case if the damage would have killed him he would have died first before dealing the 3 damage.

This has actually come up during my fanforce's games night. That was the interpretation we got from reading the card.

12. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Leave ED as a fast play game, and move to something diffrent for a more involved game. Just my $0.02.

That's actually what I love about ED, the fast gameplay. That and the varied attack values allow you to feint an attack before hitting with the real thing -- comes from my fencing background. In Miniatures (what brief experience I've had with it so far) it appears you can either succeed or fail an attack and if it does succeed, it always deals the same amount of damage. Next time I have my friends over we'll be testing out an expanded ED and some skirmishes in Miniatures and discuss ways to possibly create a hybrid.

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, I love trying to psyche people out. Especially when I'm playing as Han/Chewie and I use the Wookie Instincts to grab the bowcaster card, so everyone knows I have it, and they try to guess when I'm going to use it. It's great when Chewie's about to shoot one of the big ones like Darth Vader or Maul [face_devil]

14. Valacar

Oct 26, 2004
    Yes, but it always gave me the impression that Maul would do the three damage dead or not. I think it really comes down to your interpretation of the rules and cards. Often times we stipulate many of the rules before starting.

15. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Yeah, always good to set up house rules if people have questions about that sort of thing.

And the Maul debate? Could be a dead man's lunge, that's how I interpreted it under those circumstances.

16. target-maxfirepower

target-maxfirepower Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    General Grievous:
    I think Grievous should be the best in the game at hitting and retreating, i think it suits his character well. He was 'trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku' and his deck should reflect that while still being original.
    Basic Deck-Red
    HP-14
    Secondary:
    Magna Guards, 7 HP each cannot attack from range, same deck as Super Battle Droids.

Specials
    Flawless Strategy- move Grievous 2 spaces, then move Magna Guard I 2 spaces, then Magna Guard II 2 spaces. Draw a card. (x3)
    Unorthodox Attack- Grievous may play any attack card as a free action this turn. Playing this card does not count as an action.
    Violent Throw- you may move up any two characters adjacent to Grievous anywhere on the board, they receive 1 damage.
    Cyborg Strength- Grievous recovers 3 damage.

Power Attacks
    Sith Training- Attack 7, Draw a card. (x2)
    Twirling Attack- Attack 4*, if this does damage choose any other character adjacent to Grievous to receive 3 damage. (x2)

Power Defends
    Coward's Defense- Defend 3, after playing this card you may move Grievous to any empty space. If the attacker may also move, Grievous moves first. (x2)

P.S.
    If this is well received I'll post my Darth Sidious and updated Vader decks

17. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Cyborg Strength doesn't sit too well with me for some reason, but then he has low enough HP that it kind of balances him out more.

Looks good otherwise. :)

18. Valacar

Oct 26, 2004
    Please post your othr decks, that one looks good though.

For Coward's Defense, does the other player get to move anywhere also, or do they role the die.

19. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Looks like fun target-maxfirepower! Twirling attacks seem to be a popular Grievous move; I think I've seen them in every custom deck :) I'm working on a deck for him myself - "General Grievous: Jedi Killer" since I'm basing him more on the Clone Wars cartoon version.

I'm designing my Aayla deck right now from pieces of three different decks I've seen online (mostly the Hagarty deck, but I swapped out a couple of cards and rearranged some effects). If I calculated the cards right she's got the second-highest defense value compared to the original 12 decks according to the Analysis tool. Not exactly sure how powerful the deck will be since I haven't tested it in gameplay -- I'm still working on the graphics.

For Coward's Defense, does the other player get to move anywhere also, or do they role the die.

I'm guessing it refers to power combat cards like Obi-Wan's "Jedi Attack" or "Maul's Athletic Surge."

Post away target-maxfirepower, I love reading up on new decks!

20. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I don't blame you for basing Grievous more on the clone wars version. Grievous in the movie was a big let down. I expected him to be so much more of a badass than he was.

21. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in his big-screen appearance after seeing CW and reading up on his early development and fighting style (I remember dying to see how they'd intergate capoeira into the SW universe).

Here's a card I designed the other day just for fun:

[image=http://home.pacbell.net/ri221b/sw/kitbreathe.jpg]

22. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I think it's a great game. I usually play it every Friday night.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's cool that you guys are making custom decks and characters. I'd do that but I don't have anyone to play against these days.

24. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    It is fun to make new decks, although there's much more to it that I had originally thought if you actually want to make them "balanced" against the original decks. Still trying to figure all that stuff out.

25. zachharris

zachharris Jedi Knight

May 18, 2004
    I love this game, though I am trying to get into playing the miniatures game. Anyway I have a question for you all, out of all the decks(not expansions) who do you think the strongest character is? My favorite is Luke, and contrary to popular belief he can be very, very good. Strongest i would say is probably Obi-wan. BTW, im not a big fan of some of the expansion decks they have on the yahoo groups page, but it is fun to create yourself in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.