main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III icons... This rather made me mad...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sithman, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Okay, so I hardly ever post outside of my Fanforce, Collecting, and Star Wars Music forums, but something I saw today frankly ticked me off. I find all internet drama here on TFN rather amusing, so Communications is a place I'll never go to. I come to the JC to enjoy Star Wars and talk about it. That's it.

So, why would I come in here? When something on these boards ruins my enjoyment of Star Wars.

Alright, I'll cut to the chase: You (the admins, people in charge, whoever they are) uploaded an Episode III Anakin icon.

I am a very, very spoiler free person, that's why I never venture outside of my FF, collecting and music. Yet, when other users are able to attach an Episode III picture that I don't want to see to a place right below their name and then parade around other forums so that non-spoilers can see it, it doesn't make me happy. It doesn't make me happy at all.

Frankly, I'm angry that this icon was uploaded at all, but, I can't do anything now that I've seen it, can I? Well, I don't want to be spoiled anymore by something as public as an icon. So, what can you (the people in charge) do? Well, MatrixFans.Net has options that let you disable both signatures and avatars (icons) so as not to be spoiled. Over there, that's what happens. Then I'm not spoiled. It works out great. I'd love for that to happen here. But, since all people will probably tell me is, "That's zerosleep's area, we can't do anything," I really don't know what to ask you to do. Of course, I'd love for no EpIII icons to be uploaded at all (at least until trailers, or something come out, because then it'd be understandable), but I'm sure there would be too many people opposing that for it to work.

Now, I know, probably lots of you will just say, "What does it matter if you see the picture now or later? You know it'll be all over merchandizing and newspapers everywhere." Well, frankly, I'd like to be able to choose on my own how much EpIII stuff I'm going to see. If I want to see a trailer, I'll see it. If I don't want to see a newspaper article with pictures, I won't look at it. But when someone surprises me by publicly posting everywhere with a picture of EpIII on it that I didn't want to see (I strictly avoided the TFN mainpage article on this), it annoys me.

So, what can be done to solve this? I've suggested a few things, but I'm sure the people in charge, who know what their capabilities are, can do a much better job of fixing this situation for many of us EpIII Spoiler Free fans. If nothing can be done that will please both sides, I understand but, of course, it will disappoint me quite a bit.

So, what will be done about this?

Thank you very much.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, I'll just say right from the start that this has been brought up for discussion in the Mod Squad, and that discussion is ongoing.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Wouldn't it be best to remove the icon until discussions are complete

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Dude is it my icon your talking about man I`m sorry I`ll change it right away

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Frankly, I'm angry that this icon was uploaded at all, but, I can't do anything now that I've seen it, can I? Well, I don't want to be spoiled anymore by something as public as an icon. So, what can you (the people in charge) do? Well, MatrixFans.Net has options that let you disable both signatures and avatars (icons) so as not to be spoiled. Over there, that's what happens. Then I'm not spoiled. It works out great. I'd love for that to happen here. But, since all people will probably tell me is, "That's zerosleep's area, we can't do anything," I really don't know what to ask you to do. Of course, I'd love for no EpIII icons to be uploaded at all (at least until trailers, or something come out, because then it'd be understandable), but I'm sure there would be too many people opposing that for it to work.

I post at Matrixfans.Net myself, but whatever happens over there is what happens over there. The board system Paul uses there is free, simple, and more open in programming, this, however is not. If it is zerosleep's job it is his and his only. You wouldn't want another loose cannon mod to come in a screw up the system, would you?

Now, I know, probably lots of you will just say, "What does it matter if you see the picture now or later? You know it'll be all over merchandizing and newspapers everywhere." Well, frankly, I'd like to be able to choose on my own how much EpIII stuff I'm going to see. If I want to see a trailer, I'll see it. If I don't want to see a newspaper article with pictures, I won't look at it. But when someone surprises me by publicly posting everywhere with a picture of EpIII on it that I didn't want to see (I strictly avoided the TFN mainpage article on this), it annoys me.

That is the mod's jobs and it is up to them. Grilled-Sarlacc, an old friend of mine and the icon manager of this site is responsible the judgement and uploading of any icon on this site and i know him better than to think he would upload any icon ever made spoiler or no spoiler. The rule is that the only Episode III icons that are to be made are from pics that you would be able ot find before you entered hyperspace, so obviously, this breaks no rules.

The derailment of people that post in 3SA isn't nessasary. If we want to use a perfectly LEGAL icon, we will.

The mods are discussing this still and that should be enough for you.

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, Drac, that one. :)

And, as halibut said, wouldn't it be prudent to remove the icon until you guys in charge have decided what to do about this?

KnightWriter: Thank you for telling me that. What are the current views, opinions or arguments in the Modsquad, then?

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Smuggler, I'm not saying it's wrong, because, of course, it's not. I'm just saying that I don't really like it. I'm not saying anything's right or wrong, I'm just saying how I feel, please don't frustrated at me, or something.

Oh, and I'm just saying it would be nice to be like MatrixFans in this instance, because it's a nice feature they have because it makes both sides happy (spoilered people and non-spoilered people) and then no one argues over stuff like this. That was all. :)

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah because there will be NO pictures, magazines, commercials, trailers, interviews or ANY OTHER OFFICIALLY RELEASED images of any Ep 3 characters before May 2005. I am really spoiler free too but this image of Anakin is not a spoiler. At all. Be reasonable here. You will never avoid every single image of any kind of any character in every single medium they appear OFFICIALLY between now and the release.

There is nothing wrong with that icon. It's not a spoiler according to tf.n's spoiler policy. That is all you can expect tf.n to follow. If you want a stricter spoiler policy then stop coming to tf.n and go make your own site.

9. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    Thank you, Sithman for bringing this up. I'd PM'd stinrab about it, because there seems to be some confusion in 3NSA about OS images. It's been said that official images are to be kept to their own threads within 3NSA but yet people have icons of these images??

The user's choice of disabling all icons makes alot of sense and would be great to have; it would keep the peace, too, better than making the rule "yes, you can have the OS icon" or "no you can't". Then that would just aggravate either one group of folks or the other.

Just wanted to add my voice to this. I'm glad it's being discussed by the Mods because I'm very unhappy about it.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    No need to get angry, Tim, I'm just bringing this up to see what can be done, that's all!

And besides, one EpIII icon can be the "camel's nose under the tent" and set a standard perhaps letting more questionable EpIII icons down the line, ya know?

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am not angry in the least. I think this icon is ok because it is ok. Other more questionable icons are not going to be let in, obviously. It's not like they are gonna OK some icon of Tyranus chopping Obi-Wan in half or something. It's an image of an existing character that we KNOW is gonna look older just standing there.... looking older. Wow now that's a spoiler.

12. NHR-57

NHR-57 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 24, 2003
    Where's the need for Episode III icons? I can't really see the point...? Is it so hard to keep EpIII images out of icons and general forum banners? Is it so hard to respect the wishes of those wanting to stay spoiler-free?
    I guess so...

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    *sigh*

I'll just copy and paste what I said like five posts ago...

"Smuggler, I'm not saying it's wrong, because, of course, it's not. I'm just saying that I don't really like it. I'm not saying anything's right or wrong, I'm just saying how I feel, please don't frustrated at me, or something. "

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You are asking tf.n to change the spoiler policy they have used for years now. What is the point of the icon? Ummm it's cool. It's new. It's Star Wars. There's the point. If you don't like the tf.n spoiler policy then why are you posting here? Don't ask the rest of the world to cater to YOUR wishes. If you wish to be more spoiler free than the tf.n spoiler policy then grow a pair and leave the JC and tf.n until May 2005.

Don't make the rest of us suffer just for you.

15. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

May 27, 2003
    There is a spoiler in that icon. See any braid there? That's a plot point that's been debated since AotC and probably before that.

16. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh ****, Crispy_Fried_Dentic! I didn't even realize that when I looked at that icon.

*feels spoiled*

:p but :( at the same time.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    While you may or may not agree with this determination, it should also serve as a warning to folks that are leary of reading anything about Episode [III]. The Official Site and other official outlets like the Insider magazine and convention appearances open the door to free posting on that issue. Here's a quick rundown from the old editorial on how things break down:

Any and all StarWars.Com announcements - non-spoiler
    cast names - non-spoiler
    character names - non-spoiler
    official photos - non-spoiler
    spy photos - spoiler
    character descriptions - spoiler
    dialogue - spoiler
    plot points - spoiler
    plot speculation - spoiler

18. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

May 27, 2003
    I'm sorry, obaona. But that's the first thing I saw when I mistakenly stumbled upon that pic in the YJCC. The icon doesn't show his location, which is good, but the image did. I'll say no more though.

Just goes to show you, it's sometimes the tiniest things, eh? Like icons. Looks insignificant to the spoiled, very important to the unspoiled.

EDIT: D'oh! Sorry, I just noticed I spelled your name wrong, obaona. That's what I get for bein' lazy and not doing the cut n paste thing :p

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "There is a spoiler in that icon. See any braid there? That's a plot point that's been debated since AotC and probably before that."

Mmmmm, thanks buddy, I feel so much better now that I feel even more spoiled... :( (I understand you needing to say that for your argument's sake but... Aw man... :( )

Man...

EDIT: "Just goes to show you, it's sometimes the tiniest things, eh? Like icons. Looks insignificant to the spoiled, very important to the unspoiled."

Oh yes, that happened all too many times with AOTC. :( Little things like the background/setting of the icon can mean a lot to us non-spoilers.

20. NHR-57

NHR-57 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 24, 2003
    Yes, we all know that strilo. But that's not really the question here. It's just a simple request to leave those images out of icons, so people can avoid them and still go to tf.n if they wish. It really shouldn't be so hard. If you want you can go to PSA and post those images as much as you want. But as I said before, I understand now that it is hard for some to respect others.

21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Thanks for clearing the spoiler policy up Stri :) Sithy it is probably a photo shop made icon

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I am actually spoiler free, so.... I would not go to 3SA for anything. But I follow tf.n's spoiler policy, so this image and thus this icon are not a spoiler.

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I hope it is. Because Damn that hair... 8-}

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I like the hair... :)

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    So do I