main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Maybe while Mel Brooks is making Spaceballs 2, he can make a sequel to Men in Tights as well. :)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    box office mojo projections (TFA in 3rd, Ride Along 2 & Revenant gold & silver) 13 hours in 4th (13 hours isn't even playing anywhere up where I live in Canada and we get the same releases. Maybe 13 hrs didn't have a Canadian distributor? )

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4144&p=.htm

• Ride Along 2 (3,176 theaters) - $42.88 M
    • The Revenant (3,559 theaters) - $27.88 M
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (3,822 theaters) - $24.56 M
    • 13 Hours (2,389 theaters) - $18.51 M

Hey, TFA has slipped below 4000 theatres? When did that happen?

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    The write-up says $27 million for the 3-day then the way below that has $24.5? Lol. So random. I agree with the $27M for three days.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ride Along 2 will take its place among Dear John and Lost in Space as the movies that knock the three highest grossing films in history when it comes who ended their weekend runs at #1.

Pretty insane to think that TFA barely a month into it's run will be third at the box office for a weekend and yet destroyed the domestically all time number (though Avatar seems safe as the worldwide champ)

Like I been saying though it truly is a here today, gone tomorrow business. No movies really have staying power like even 10-15 years ago. Just too much content for people to choose from.

It was a glorious month through for SW.

AmySolo and dolphin like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm saying TFA reclaims #1 next week anyway. Ride Along 2 is gonna have a big drop off 2nd week.

AmySolo likes this.
  6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yup, it's interesting we have never before in film history seen it done this way. Every other #1 ever took a LONG time to get there and slow and steady won the race. Whether it was Star Wars playing in just 32 theaters before expanding or whether it was ET plugging away, Titanic with its monstrous run of #1 weekends, Avatar with its solid debut and tiny tiny decreases for many weeks. That's just how it has always been done.

TFA is the blitzkrieg of #1 all-time grossers. A blindingly fast strike to steal the crown in just 20 days. Amazing lol.

AmySolo likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Talking heads talk - won't beat Avatar worldwide, could possibly pass Titanic (which is what I am pulling for)

http://www.hitfix.com/news/can-the-...global-box-office-record-the-experts-weigh-in

Most of the analysts I spoke with agreed that one big key to the massive global gross of Avatar was its novelty, with the marketing campaign around the film promising a one-of-a-kind cinematic experience that had never before been seen.
    "Avatar...was really marketed as 'this is the new frontier of technology and the new frontier of cinematic experience,'" noted Box Office Media analyst Daniel Loria. "So even if you weren't a huge fan or weren't really aware of...the story...it did have this 'event' aspect of showcasing the latest technology going into it. Star Wars is certainly a great reflection of top-notch effects...but it doesn't have that whole novelty aspect that Avatar came in with around the world."
    Another advantage Avatar enjoyed was a radically different international marketplace for American films. In 2009, it was possible for a Hollywood blockbuster to enjoy an extended window on overseas screens, but with the global marketplace becoming an increasingly lucrative arena, studios are bumping films faster than ever before to make way for new product.

"Films don't run indefinitely [overseas] now," said Mumpower. "Studios have started putting in the same model there as they use here, which is they try and get new product in as quickly as possible to make more money faster. They don't want a film to be earning a few hundred thousand, they'd rather get in a project that can earn a few million...So Star Wars probably...isn't going to run long enough to get where it needs to be. And that's really more a credit to how Avatar took advantage of an unprecedented marketplace rather than any type of indictment of Star Wars."

Ed_Fett_77 likes this.
  8. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Again. Mythology lacking the essential facts.

$400-500M worth of Avatar's WW total is based entirely upon favorable exchange rates. That cuts its WW total down from $2.78B to $2.3B at today's rate. It's an even lower total if you account for re-release revenues.

The truth is Avatar's WW gross is actually within reach of TFA, should the producers simply decide to put out an Extended Cut re-release later in the year.

AmySolo likes this.
  9. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Keep trying to cook those books!

As per 'Extended Cut', they've said it before.. there will not be one. TFA doesn't have a chance at the world of getting the $2.7 billion it needs, and it'll be lucky if it catches an 18-year old movie.

10. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Maybe an idea for yet another dumb Chipmunks movie (it's getting stale)... "Furry Road: Chipmunks on a Cross Country Adventure"!

And as for TFA, gonna be one month since the movie debuted worldwide (excluding 中国) and wonder how this weekend is going to be like?

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

11. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015

You are the worst backdoor Troll i saw in a long time,you can stick your little 3d Cartoon up your Ass.Avatar only made so much WW because it fulled People with it's 3d Nonsens.

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Avatar was huge for one reason only..... the 3D gimmick. It was a huge tech demonstrations set to Dances with Wolves in Space. Not a terrible movie, but vastly inferior to TFA, IMO. Heck, as far as Cameron movies go, it's not even in the top 3 in terms of quality, IMO.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How much do you think TFA is going to get this weekend WW?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    To be fair, Avatar's 3D visual gimmick was every bit as effective as TFA's gimmick of being another SW movie. I'm not trying to bash anything. I'm just saying that many many movies are successful because of some sort of tool they use to attract audiences. Avatar did it through visuals. TFA did it through nostalgia and being a new SW movie. Titanic did it through its effects and reminiscent of Gone With the Wind. Every huge movie has something that draws audiences in. Call it gimmick. Call it allure. Call it uniqueness. Whatever it is, they all have them. They usually involve something HUGE on a BIG scale which is why pure dramas without big sets and effects don't make their way into the top 10 of all time. Heck, even GWTW was monumental in terms of scale for its time.

You can talk about what one movie has that another does not, but you can't discount those things that huge movies DO have. So to say that a movie was ONLY successful for a certain reason is not a bad thing. That means it did that thing VERY well.

15. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Looking at both the all time adjusted and non adjusted top 10 list, its easy to see why the Avatar sequel scripts might going through hell now. The movies on those lists have fictional characters you actually remember the names of, that you cared for, were rooting for, found comfort in, or just enjoyed the pure bliss of having a great antagonist. But you still remember them for all its worth. And for all the flaws some of those movies have. Yeah, looking at you TPM too. But Darth Maul and Jar Jar, you are still my buddies, for good and bad reasons. Its why we go to the movies. Not to experience cynically constructed plots where cutting edge technology fuels the core of the film, and where the heart of it has vanished. Cutting edge tech is great, it is, or was, an important tool for the art of the cinema to explore, but it should go hand in hand, with the story, characters, underplay the substance of the creative mind. The more i think of this, i can see why Avatar was a product of its time. And credit goes to Cameron for finding that exact time slot where his technology and patience with it, could play out as the biggest gimmick for years. And good luck with bringing back Sam Worthington. Because he was not a great character...

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm not bashing either. It was remarkable to see, and I'm glad I did. But the movie itself? Not so much. I'd argue, however, that TFA's draw is much more than nostalgia. I know many people who are casual fans at best of Star Wars in general who were completely dazzled by TFA.

yassir.khan, PPZVGOS and Satipo like this.
  17. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I've heard that a fair bit as well. People who were never that down with SW who absolutely love TFA.

18. DarthTino

DarthTino Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    i follow the the box office thread since the Force Awakens released,without writing much,but i have to jump in.The "James Cameron" fanboy really dampens the mood of people here very often,i even wonder why he registered in the forums.Perhaps just to piss people off that Force Awakens will not catch Avatar worldwide?! and likes to remind people very often that fact.Seems pointless to me.I don't care myself,because i like many movies,but some people here do get offended,so i will ask the Avatar fanboy to tone it down a bit if possible.
    For the record i do like James Cameron,but his earlier movies like Aliens and Terminator 1,2.I didnt like the cheesy teeneger love story in the face of real human tragedy and Avatar looks fake like a video game right now.The main character was shallow,actually they all were one dimensional with bad dialogue and cliche story.But hey the marketing was brilliant.Any way when it comes to blockbuster movies,i think that Steven Spielberg is far superior director than James Cameron.Jaws,Indiana Jones trilogy,E.T,Jurassic Park were simply brilliant and he even has the capacity to make serious movies like the Schindler's List,Amistad,Saving Private Ryan,The Color Purple,Munich,Lincoln etc.
    I want to remind the fanboy one more thing.Just because something makes the most money like Avatar/Titanic,doesent mean it's the best.That way Call of Duty is the best game,McDonalds is the best restaurant,Fifty Shades of Grey is thebest book etc.It doesent work that way.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  19. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Truth. I've not seen John or Daisy's other work but frankly, the whole crew of newbies were spectacular. I think we'll see all of them escape type casting and actually have full, glorious careers (especially Oscar [face_praying])

Let's just hope they listen to the OT crew and don't go bonkers after being catapulted to super stardom.
    It was a very well done movie, and I LOVE what the movie is doing for mental health care (like non verbal kids now able to express what emotion they are feeling) but omg I am completely over Pixar's whole "you gotta cry for it to be a good movie." Having first hand experience watching what deep depression can do to someone I bawled through the whole thing.

MOC Yak Face and Strongbow like this.
  20. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Force Awakens vs Avatar

18th December-10th January worldwide gross ($5million+)

USA and Canada
    $812,734,828 and $430,846,514
    Mexico
    $26,311,168 and $28,039,076
    Brazil
    $24,794,983 and $27,787,826
    Venezuela
    $15,834,393 and $5,919,930
    Argentina
    $7,299,602 and $3,561,348
    Chile
    $7,040,680 and $5,503,659
    Peru
    $5,724,406 and $3,066,344
    Colombia
    $4,081,250 (3rd) and $6,431,651

UK
    $164,032,994 and $65,702,512
    Germany
    $93,332,171 and $70,465,941
    France
    $72,751,395 and $98,833,932
    Spain
    $33,041,178 and $57,818,985
    Poland
    $13,700,000 (7th) and $12,360,991
    Netherlands
    $13,276,187 and $11,733,872
    Belgium
    $8,357,401 (3rd) and $7,969,403
    Sweden
    $16,600,000 (7th) and $12,238,319
    Denmark
    $10,573,986 and $10,965,286
    Norway
    $8,221,313 and $7,292,681
    Finland
    $7,019,687 and $3,281,930
    Austria
    $8,081,300 and $8,649,278
    Hungary
    $5,623,293 and $4,287,673
    Turkey
    $5,435,456 and $8,969,218
    Greece
    $3,021,931 and $7,068,816
    Portugal
    $3,150,770 and $5,431,163
    Ukraine
    $2,722,777 and $5,032,107

China
    $52,348,430 and $40,934,351
    Russia
    $24,300,000 (7th) and $76,166,623
    Japan
    $69,400,000 (12th) and $50,168,942
    South Korea
    $23,188,593 and $57,158,487
    Hong Kong
    $10,470,661 and $12,733,787
    Taiwan
    $6,013,515 and $8,067,066
    Singapore
    $6,771,856 and $6,391,648
    Malaysia
    $6,414,593 and $5,470,118
    Thailand
    $4,095,456 and $5,894,986
    UAE
    $5,000,187 (3rd) and $4,203,458
    Australia
    $57,892,807 and $58,510,427
    New Zealand
    $8,547,392 and $6,261,091

Force Awakens worldwide total 18th December-10th January: $1,734,134,828
    Avatar worldwide total 18th December-10th January: $1,341,846,514

[​IMG]

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think that's why TFA shined so much. Superfans who thought it was a bit of a rehash (debatable-but intentional) were more than happy overall. Those who were casual fans or not all that into it loved it for the same reasons most of us loved the originals. This was totally the intention and boy was it successful.

SW represents something unique to the entire cinematic world and people appreciated that with TFA. It is one of very very few completely cinematic experiences and stories with a mythological, fantasy tone that was not based on a previous work. It truly stands on its own as a movie experience. Avatar tried to do that but the story was shallow and was too much like DWW and Pocahontas. So TFA was no more of a rehash than Avatar. Those cancel each other out. And TFA has that backing of being a SW movie. If Rian Johnson can knock it out of the ballpark with freshness as well as visual wow, just watch out!!!

AmySolo, Othini and Strongbow like this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed.

All gimmicks aside, what you can't get around in making a like comparison in terms of popularity is that TFA is just a better movie, and has more for its audience than Avatar. TFA will be far more memorable and timeless in the overall picture.

AmySolo likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rain is writing for Both 8 and 9.

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It didn't sound like that is actually the case, and it's not like this was officially confirmed anywhere either, it was just more or less assumed. Trevorrow's recent comments definately sound like he is developing the story and writing the script, though he is "working closely with Rian Johnson" to make sure everything matches. ET has two interview with Trevorrow about this issue, though I'm not going to post them here because you could consider parts of them as spoilers.

25. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I give both Force Awakens and Avatar 10/10. I also give A New Hope and Dances With Wolves 10/10. Anyone who says "this is just a rehash blah blah blah" or "this is just like that blah blah blah" is someone I would never invite to my film nerd club. I have zero respect for their opinion of world cinema. "NOT WELCOME!" sign for you. :p
    How many movies do you think you've seen in your lifetime? I've seen THOUSANDS. I've watched around 100 more movies since Force Awakens was released and will have watched thousands more by the time episode 8 comes around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.