main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Casting: It's Not Over Yet! Who they might be and who they might play

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

Maybe you're right. I would be very, very surprised though if they let Daisy be Boyega's love interest. Am I being overly cynical? I don't think so. But we'll see.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I would have to agree with some cynicism. I mean age wise they fit but...

But yeah I think all the major roles are cast although really I think some of those guys was just treat for the fans. Chewie does not need to read his lines.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Also, if it follows A New Hope. There is no overt love story(despite some sexual tension at times).

4. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Why not. Have you ever heard of art imitating life? Lucas married a black lady. Who's to say he didn't take inspiration from that in making these new characters.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Didn't he make the new characters and stories for the VII, VIII, and IX in the 80s? and then add the fact that Abrams and the writers were rumored to have changed a good chunk of the story with George's supposed "approval", so it might not be based at all on Lucas anymore?

6. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Hmm true but its hard to tell how much power Lucas has in the process. Which reminds me does he still have his stock in Disney? I know he gave away a lot of cash but if he is still a major share holder then he should have a good deal of influence.

7. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

I'm not saying that Lucas, Abrams, Kasdan, or anyone else involved in the production have anything against romantic relationships between black men and white women. I'm just saying I think they're too risk-adverse to put it in the movie. I know they already took a chance making Boyega the lead, and are already getting some resistance to it. But I think they'd be too worried about turning off certain members of their target audience to include a Boyega/Ridley romance.

Just being real. I guess we'll see.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Officers, bounty hunters, hitmen.hitwomen, yeah-they must be small roles.

Including the Big3, the cast that was announced is about the same size as the major speaking roles of the other movies. It would also suggest that some of those are even smaller. Might suggest that someone like Isaac doesn't have a very big role, but important.

Still, I find it somewhat funny that Efron's name is STILL being thrown around. Perhaps there's some credence to the idea that Efron could play Luke in a flashback scene.But I'd think it would be to establish his romance with the woman who is his son's mother IF he has a son.

Doubt they'd add someone else that would trump the roles from the announced cast.

But the idea of someone playing Boyega's main love interest who is actually working for the enemy would be very intriguing.

Could be what compels Ridley's character to delve into the Force to lure him back. Ooh-could be a cool idea.

9. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm somewhat disturbed at the idea of Efron playing Luke in a flashback scene. For a start a flashback would seem really out of place in SW, and secondly he looks nothing like Hamill, and if anything looks younger than Luke did at the end of ROTJ. Talk about jarring, and it's also totally unnecessary.

10. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Besides Zac's star has dimmed greatly since the heights of HSM so it seems like a particularly dumb risk. Besides I think any flashback would occur in the gap period between the OT and ST.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It would be good to see Asajj Ventress cause as you know she is cannon !........

12. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Well, at least people are owning up to the fact that that has been an issue even in this so-called "post racial" society we apparently (don't) live in. When it comes to Hollywood films interracial hookups are the sole domain of white men and women of color. I think Zoe Saldana has been in more of those type of onscreen relationships than all the men of color combined have been onscreen with white women. :)

People need to grow up and get beyond that. I hate the very idea that JJ would possibly cast another female role as a black woman simply because that character may be romantically involved with Boyega's character? I will ask....if a black female has been cast first BEFORE Boyega would anyone who was part of the production feel that a black guy had to be picked to play her love interest? Doubtful. They wouldn't think twice about casting a white dude and pat themselves on the back for being "progressive". But the other way around is still some forbidden taboo? Good grief it is 2014. Those type of onscreen romantic portrayals will never be accepted if they remain absent on the big screen. Not that I'm saying there needs to be a relationship between Boyega and Ridley's characters, but if that was the original intent of TPTB I hope they don't run away from it because some people are insecure and uncomfortable with seeing such a couple on screen.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Personally, I still think Billy Dee Williams is coming.

Rebel_Loyaltist likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Efron strikes me as a big-name star compared to the young newcomers announced, so I doubt he would be a minor character which is why I doubt his casting.

I like to see Lupita get a role, not sure why it would be Assaj Ventress though. She's not really needed and a lot of explaining would be required.

15. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

[​IMG]

MAL_SOLO likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Ya knowwwww......here's a thought from the peanut gallery.

What if they were looking to cast a younger Luke AND his young bride who just happens to be of a different race? Perhaps that could give credence to Boyega being Luke's natural son (although I doubt it).

But a young Luke (would give Efron his role) and Luke's young bride would NOT have to be filmed with everyone else. They could be filmed someplace else altogether and even with a second unit if need be. The roles could be short but also VERY important and wouldn't hinge on the other announced cast members whatsoever.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hey guys, did you know that there's a thread for discussing diversity in the Star Wars movies? Your posting future depends on your using it.

Consider it a blanket warning. Next post gets a time out.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    jedijax how did you win a casting competition?

19. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  21. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    I'm not sure if it's real or not. That's why I said take it with a grain of salt.

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    It's weird, look at the billing in the text at the beginning and then look at the billing at the end, there both different.

23. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Was Daisy listed at all dont think I saw her name.

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    She's the last name in the billing at the bottom.

25. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Ah,I missed that nice find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.