main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU book list *help*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shiandrai, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiandrai

Shiandrai Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    I want to start reading the SW books but there is just too many of them.

I did read "Heir to the Empire" but I got a little lost. I know that their are more before that.

I also want to go right back to the begining before TPM but don't know where to start there. I couldn't find a book list around that time.

Does anyone know the "key" books to read?

Just books though (I have no access to comics)

Thanks
    Regards
    Kate

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Not counting the Glove of Darth Vader series, between Return of the Jedi and Heir to the Empire you have the following books:

1. The Truce at Bakura

2. Rogue Squadron

3. Wedge's Gamble

4. The Krytos Trap

5. The Bacta War

6. Wraith Squadron

7. Iron Fist

8. Solo Command

9. The Courship of Princess Leia

10. Tatooine Ghost

I believe the e-book A Forest Apart takes place at this time and can be found in the paperback of Tatooine Ghost.

Not counting Jedi Apprentice, before TPM you only have Cloak of Decpetion, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and the e-book Darth Maul: Sabotuer which can be found in the paperback of the previous book.

Check TF.N's book section for a far more complete list of SW books.

3. Shiandrai

Shiandrai Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    "Clove of Vader" seires?

I Want to try and read everything that centre around the main characters of the movies.

Where can I find TF.net book section?

Regards
    Kate

4. jedishilo

jedishilo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    I've read EVERY Star Wars book out there and I'm pretty critical. Here's my opinion. Before Phantom Menacethere are only 2 books. Cloak Of Deception and Shadow Hunter. Bothe are great books but niether are "Key". COD has alot of political stuff in it and there's some action with the Jedi Council, Obi-Wan, and Qui Gon. Also, there's this great character, Captain Cole. I liked him. Shadow Hunter is a story revolving around Darth Maul. Need I say more? It's deffinately one of the most popular books and I recommend it. Then you have Rogue Planet taking place a couple years after TPM which I don't recommend and The Approaching Storm taking place right before Ep. 2 which I thought was awesome. Then came the Clone Wars series. Every book in there was great(except for Shatterpoint, I hated it even though everyone else loved it). That takes you up to ROTS. After Return Of The Jedi this is what I would read if I were you. You'll get the basic idea, but you will miss some good books. Read The Thrawn Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy, and The Hand Of Thrawn Duology. That hits all the major points of the basic story line. Again, you will miss some great stuff, but you'll get the highlights. After that came the New Jedi Order series. This was my all time favorite reading for the Star Wars Universe and I recommend it as a whole. That about covers it. You should check out the novel reviews in this site to see if any of the other books hit you as interesting. I hope this wasn't too long and helped you out some. Enjoy rhe books!

5. Shiandrai

Shiandrai Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    So if I was to make my own personal book list?.
    Is this the right order? Do you think I missed anything?

Cloak Of Deception
    Shadow Hunter

Rogue Planet
    The Approaching Storm

Clone wars series? Any books I can read? All I find was comics.

Shadows of the Empire

The Truce at Bakura

The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

The "Thrawn Trilogy": Heir to the Empire
    The "Thrawn Trilogy": Dark Force Rising
    The "Thrawn Trilogy": The Last Command

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force

I, Jedi

Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of twilight

The crystal star

Black fleet crisis trilogy: Before the storm
    Black fleet crisis trilogy: Shield of lies
    Black fleet crisis trilogy: tyrant?s test

The new rebellion

The Correlian trilogy

Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past
    Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future

Junior and young jedi knights

And then The new Jedi order series.

Where does ?Glove of Darth Vader series? fit in what are they called and where can I find them?

Regards
    Kate

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You missed all nine X-wing books and I provided you with the first seven. The other two are Isard's Revenge, which takes place immediately after The Last Command and Starfighters of Adumar which takes place about the same time as Planet of Twilight. I, Jedi takes place before, during, and after the Jedi Academy Trilogy. The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy is missing, it's present is during RoTJ, but events in it take place before ANH. The Han Solo Trilogy, Han Solo Adventures (the original Han Solo trilogy by the way), and Lando Calrissian Adventures are all missing, all three take place before ANH (Han Solo Trilogy just barely ends early in ANH) with the second two trilogies taking place during The Han Solo Trilogy. The Jedi Apprentice books are missing, they take place before Cloak of Decpetion. The Jedi Quest books, which are missing, take place sometime between TPM and AotC. Splinter of the Mind's Eye takes place after ANH and is missing. The Boba Fett books are missing and take place after AotC. Labrynith of Evil, Jedi Trial, Cestus Decption Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Republic Commandos, MedStar: Battle Surgoens, MedStar: Jedi Healer, and Shatterpoint are all Clone Wars novels. Survivor's Quest is after the Hand of Thrawn duology. The books of the Glove of Vader series are The Glove of Darth Vader, The Lost City of the Jedi, Zorba the Hutt's Revenge, Mission from Mount Yoda, Queen of the Empire, and Prophets of the Dark Side.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Glove of Darth Vader" was a kids book series that came out in the early 90's.

They were intentionally campy/silly and are generally considered the worst of the EU. Though they can be enjoyed on that level, don't worry about skipping them as they aren't really referenced in the other novels (usually any connections to that series are found in RPG sourcebooks and other reference material). Seriously, don't worry about them unless you are looking to collect every SW book.

If you want a listing of every adult novel, follow the Star Wars Timeline link at the top of the forum.

8. Shiandrai

Shiandrai Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    Okay updated list.

I don't really want to read about Boba Fett, Lando or Han really so would I miss to much if I skipped their books?

Does this look in the right order? Am I missing anything causal?

Jedi Apprentice books

Cloak Of Deception
    Shadow Hunter

EP I ?TPM

Jedi Quest books

Rogue Planet
    The Approaching Storm

EP II - AotC

Jedi Trial
    Cestus Decption Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Republic Commandos
    MedStar: Battle Surgoens
    MedStar: Jedi Healer
    Shatterpoint
    Labrynith of Evil

EP III - RotS

EP IV ? ANH
    EP V ? ESB

Shadows of the Empire

EP VI - RotJ

Splinter of the Mind's Eye

The Truce at Bakura

The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

The "Thrawn Trilogy": Heir to the Empire
    The "Thrawn Trilogy": Dark Force Rising
    The "Thrawn Trilogy": The Last Command

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force

I, Jedi

Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of twilight

The crystal star

Black fleet crisis trilogy: Before the storm
    Black fleet crisis trilogy: Shield of lies
    Black fleet crisis trilogy: tyrant?s test

The new rebellion

The Correlian trilogy

Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past
    Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future

Survivor's Quest

Junior jedi knights

Young jedi knights

The new Jedi order series.

Also anyone able to tell me who the authors are of some of the books.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye occurs between ANH and ESB.

There's also the nine X-Wing books (first 7 take place between Truce and Courtship; the 8th after Thrawn Trilogy & the 9th after Darksaber or Planet).

I wouldn't recommend Crystal Star either.

And again, check out the EU Timeline thread if you want other book titles or author information. (just look for anything highlighted like this to quickly identify what entries are novels or audio dramas.)

Also, check out the What Books & Comics Should I Read? / Where Should I Start in the EU? thread for common reccomendations for the different eras.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.