main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Everyone in the NYC area, please check in when you can..

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ObiWill, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Bib, got an e-mail from Helen about an hour ago. She's back home now.

Phil

2. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Glad to hear everyone is safe. I can say no more now.

3. nycdexter

nycdexter Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2001
    I was at work all day, getting the news second-hand from co-workers (I'm in Jersey). Finally saw it all on TV, couldn't possibly have imagined the images. Surreal, especially to someone so used to be submerged in artificial images and special effects...

But I'm fine, my friends in Manhattan are fine (most of them live there, pretty far up from downtown, so at least they're not directly effected and didn't end up stranded there.) My friends in Pittsburgh are also fine. Hope all of you can say the same.

4. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    I just checked back to make sure there were more positive reports coming back in

Glad to hear u are all ok.

Our prayers are with u

5. spell

spell TFN Technical Staff star 1 VIP

May 27, 2001
    Spell from NYLine checking in.

For those of you who have asked - the NYline logo which incorporates the twin towers into it's logo will stay put as a memorial.

God Bless You All.

May The Force indeed be with us!

Spell
    NYLine Web Administrator
    http://www.nyline.org

6. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    Hi.

I'm at home in my apartment in Queens tonight, very thankful just to be alive. Both Louis Chang and I were as close to ground zero as possible without actually being at the WTC. When the second jet hit, pandamonium ensued - every time a plane flew overhead, people started shrieking and pointing as though it was going to crash. I had started to make my way towards the Brooklyn Bridge when the first tower collapsed, and a huge wall of smoke and debris rolled down through the streets and between the buildings. I had to decide whether to run away and jump into the East River or run back in through the smoke to my office building. I opted for the latter, put a handkerchief over my face and charged. Once in the building, I went up to my floor (27th) to get a better perspective what was going on. I looked out the window just as the second tower imploded. The TV images don't even begin to convey the horror of it all -- it looked like the Wicked Witch of the West melting and pitching from side to side before it just collapsed. After that, two of my co-workers returned to the office from the lobby, which was smoke-filled. We waited for the smoke to clear as much as possible, strapped on dust masks and covered those with wet paper towels, and made our way up to and across the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn.

One huge comfort from the whole ordeal was walking across the Manhattan Bridge, looking into the harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty, still standing proud. The other was finally getting home, logging on and seeing the outpouring of support and love from friends, family and this amazing virtual community. Thank you for your concern and your support. We will not give into the fear that those cowards tried to inflict on our lives. We will recover from this. And we will show the rest of the world that New York is strong enough to shrug this off and get back to the business of living - and that includes the countdown to Episode II!

Take care, my friends.

- Steve

7. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    my aunt worked on the 67th floor of building 2. she saw the debris and fire from the first hit, grabbed her purse and left. she was able to take an elevator to floor 44 then had to walk the rest of the way. the 2nd plane hit her building when she was on the ground...it was a horrible horrible morning. thanks god we heard from her around 1pm and she is ok. this is just unfathomable. my thoughts and prayers are with the other families touched by this horrendous tragedy.

8. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    Glad your home Steve, I was really worried since I know you work down there. I never realized how many people cared about me and how many great people I know.

9. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    i know i don't come by here often... i just wanted to express my prayers and wishes to all those who are here in NY- those who lost loved ones and friends, those who know injured, or those like myself who have all their friends and family accounted for but are simply still in shock.

i grew up in NYC- been here all my life and i'd never consider being anywhere else.... but i fear it will never be the same here.

please everyone take care of yourselves.

max.

10. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    As of last night I was not planning to go to work, my train was not running. This morning I wake up to find out my train was running, so off to work I went. I had to cross the Manhattan Bridge, what a horrible sight it was and that is putting it mildly, a large gap full of gray smoke. I tried to look the other way to the blue sky, but it was just unavoidable. All the people looking out the window shaking their heads in disbelief. I into Manhatten to see it next to empty, never have I seen it like this, cops and police cadets all over the place. Stores that are open 365 days a year closed. I go up into my office only to find out we are closed, I was not happy at all, not a reason I want to see work closed. So back on the train I go, I see that terrible sight yet again. I get home and the Fighter plane are doing constant fly bys, VERY Scary. The only time we get that is for Holiday are arial shows.

11. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I am just so glad that you are all okay. Just hearing your stories is sending chills up my spine. The Hothlanta Rebels started thinking of what we could do to help out. One of our members found a way to donate funds to the American Red Cross. If anyone is interested, you can go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/002-5779983-8391238
    Amazon.com is setting up a fund that people can donate too for Red Cross. There is no fee attached to it. Just an FYI. It sounds corny, but may the Force be with you all in NYC.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    removed by CR request.

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I don't want to look at that anymore DLM.

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    It's so good to hear that many of you are ok. I hope the same goes for your family and friends.

You're in my prayers.

~*~Bria

15. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    If no one objects, I would like to request that the image posted be removed. It's not that I encourage censorship, but the live witness I bore to tower one going down on TV and tower 2 going down before my eyes as I sat in traffic is enough. The image is too painful.

16. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I believe I speak on behalf of all of us here in Oklahoma when I say that we know what you are going through, and that you are in our prayers.

17. Rabe'

Rabe' Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I am glad everyone so far is okay. And I hate to ask, but has anyone not checked in? I am down south, but have always dreamed of living in NY, and just to let you know, I am still dreaming about it today. I hope that everything is alright. :( :)

18. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Bobafemme, thank-you.

19. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    We are still waiting for madmax to check in.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    For me it is the other way around. I never want to forget what I saw. It's all too easy to try to shut our eyes to what has happened, but none of us can afford to do that.

What we've just seen is what could mark the beginning of a holy war. We have to ask ourselves, so many centuries after the last crusade ended, has humanity really learned anything? Have we improved?

If the answer is that we have not, then we have to ask ourelves one more thing: What can each of us do to rectify the problem? Hate crimes will not go away by themselves.

21. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    I dont think it's possible to forget what happened.

But there are enough images of the awful event. I come here to escape the deluge.

I hope you understand

22. MysterySith

Nov 17, 2000
    How can I forget when I will pass by the Attack site every day on my way to work?

The only way to stop the Terrorists is to whipe them out, they will not stop at any cost. They think they go to a holy place for doing things like this and giving up their lives, it is their duty in life.

We must show a displat of out power and not lay down.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I know it's hard to forget. I live in a southern-facing apartment on 114th street. All this distance away, and I can still smell smoke coming in my window and see it in the air when I look outside. Somehow it seems symbolic of the fear that's gripped us all, and it's not going away anytime soon.

24. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    the irony is how much i hated the title of attack of the clones. now every headline reads attack of america.

25. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Finally made it into work today after 2 days home. Trains were pretty crowded due to the fact that mine was one of the few running in to the city via the Manhattan Bridge/Broadway Line.
    Cops were on every corner & there was hardly any traffic. The CBS Broadcast center (where I work)on 57th Street had hightened security due to the fact that there were scattered bomb threats all around.
    MS you were right about the view from te bridge. ERIE to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.