main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Evil Yoda?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Point_Of_View, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    Yes, yes! darth-sinister- to Dandelo you listen!

Dandelo likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. Lucas had another reason for Yoda not fighting.

"In coming back to see Yoda, we have to figure out Luke’s training and the fact that he never finished his training, and that obviously now he’s got a big question he wants answered. There is a point where the hero has to be left alone on his own two feet without anybody there to help him. And you can sort of have him be in a different place or something, but at some point you have to say well now all the props have been taken away, and he has to face the evil monster alone. In this case, the scene establishes that the evil monster is actually his father, and he’s going to have to do it upon his own, and that he’s really not equipped to do it. That he was too impatient, he didn’t finish his studies, and now he’s going to be half trained to face a difficult physical and emotional challenge."

--George Lucas, DVD Commentary, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, 2004.

"Even though at some point Yoda and Ben interfered, I eventually decided that they couldn’t connect physically with what Luke was doing. I felt that one of the major issues in the third film is that Luke is finally on his own and has to fight Vader and the Emperor by himself. If you get a sense that Yoda or Ben is there to help him or to somehow influence him, it diminishes the power of the scene."

--George Lucas, Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, 1997.

This is the other reason why he wrote Yoda as just being a teacher and unable to help in battle. In the rough draft and the revised rough draft, Yoda and Obi-wan were present when Luke went up against the Sith, but those scenes weren't as emotionally powerful as they wound up being. And that's because when they are there, they kept Luke grounded. There was no danger in Luke turning. This is why he has to go alone. This is why Qui-gon was run through, why Anakin and Obi-wan are taken out of commission against Dooku the first time and why Obi-wan is knocked out the second time. And why Obi-wan is off on Utapau when Mace fights Palpatine. Lucas had to take away the props and leave both Skywalkers alone. Same with Han being dead before Rey fights Kylo and with Finn injured and Luke missing.

That's telling Luke what to do. He is flippant because he needs Luke to figure this out on his own. If he won't confront his father, then he cannot kill him, but he also cannot become a Jedi and Luke won't come to the realization that he can save him. Luke has to be willing to confront his father and Luke has to make the choice on his own. He has to be able to figure these things out for himself.

J7Luke and JEDI-RISING like this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said, but ok :p

Yoda is training Luke to confront Vader to kill him...not to have a friendly fencing session and maybe some soccer practice afterwards.

Point_Of_View likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Is he training Luke to kill him? Then why didn't he and Obi-wan tell him to kill the bastard? Perhaps they were training him to do what he ultimately does.

"The part I am working on now is mostly about Darth Vader, who he is, where he came from, how he became Luke and Leia's father, what his relationship to Ben is. In Jedi, the film is really about the redemption of this fallen angel. Ben is the fitting good angel, and Vader is the bad angel who started off good. All these years Ben has been waiting for Luke to come of age so that he can become a Jedi and redeem his father. That's what Ben has been doing, but you don't know this in the first film."

--George Lucas, Star Wars-A New Hope: The Annotated Screenplays, 1997.

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think Lucas should have ended that quote with "you don't know this in the second or third film either"

because that is not what happened on screen.

unless I have of course an incorrect version of the movie where the conversation went like this

Luke: I can't kill my own father

Obi-Wan: woah there son back up! whoever said anything about killing him? no you are supposed to redeem him, honestly...these kids....

it's LUKE and LUKE alone that saw the good in his father. Obi-Wan was pessimistic "more machine now than man. Twisted and evil but don't worry he's not THAT evil he can be redeemed"

Anyway this is far off topic and don't want to derail any further. Lets just say I disagree and leave it at that :D

Sarge and Point_Of_View like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did exist between 1983 and 1999, and Yoda wasn't evil.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see an evil member of Yoda's species rule the galaxy for centuries at some point.

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Or Obi-wan did believe it was possible and was playing the long game.

J7Luke likes this.
  9. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Exiled for being a Jedi spending most of that time meditating and hoping someone would come along and take up his legacy. Vader and Sidious had a vast Empire under their control most of that time Yoda had to focus on keeping his whereabouts hidden. Walkers would be arriving to find and kill him otherwise so i imagine he was waiting for the one true Jedi to reveal themselves in the Galaxy at which point Master Yoda would seek the young Jedi before the Emperor did.

J7Luke likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If all Jedi have been declared enemies that must be killed on the spot, you hide away. You're not going to last long attacking the Empire alone. Yoda did the smart thing. Simply surviving was a victory.

DARTHLINK, J7Luke, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm guessing he felt that it was the will of the Force that he hide and wait for a young Skywalker to train. And in the end, it was the right thing to do.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Good thing he was hiding near a source of dark side energy as well to hide his location.

13. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I betcha the Dagobah Gvt knew he was there all along.[face_dancing]

14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Besides being sickly, even if Yoda was capable of defeating Vader, it's very clear even in TESB why Luke, and not Yoda, must face Vader. Luke can gain access to Vader. Yoda can't.

Vader and Palpatine agree that Vader should try to turn to Luke to the dark side and make him their ally. It's clear that Obi-Wan and Yoda realize that this is their plan when they explain to Luke that Vader is making Luke's friends suffer to lure him into a trap.

Consequently, Vader will allow Luke direct access to him that Yoda would never get. In fact, the Imperials would most certainly kill Yoda on sight, while they give Luke direct access to Vader.

15. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    As far as I could tell Yoda was marooned there.

16. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    He probably was concerned that the Imperial forces or Vader specifically would kill him if he hadn't been so hidden, some concern for himself as well as that then he wouldn't be able to train Luke or Leia or other potential Jedi he might one day sense or discover.

Presumably it is OK to kill in self-defense, that is considered defense rather than attack, even if you have sought out a confrontation with a Sith.

17. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    As said before, Yoda didn't fight for a few reasons:

-> He's old and tired.

-> His goal is to train Luke when he becomes of age; hard to do that when you're dead.

-> It's just Yoda versus the entire Galactic Empire, Darth Sidious, and Darth Vader. If he couldn't kill Sidious when he was at the prime of his abilities, he'd be roasted muppet meat if he tried for Round Two. Powerful as Yoda may be, he's no demigod with nigh incomprehensible powers. If that were so, he would've ended the Clone Wars before it even began.

-> If he stuck around with the Rebels, he's basically signed their death certificate and rolled out the red and black carpeting for the Imperial forces. He's Public Enemy #1 -- hanging out with them would quickly ensure their crushing defeat.

Sarge and Bob the X-Winger like this.
  18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    If I was the Emperor and I was confronted by a rebellion trying to restore the senate and republic that the Jedi fought for, I'd just go ahead and assume that Yoda was involved in some way (given that I know he survived the purge), and not give any latitude to the rebels in lieu of conclusive physical proof.

This clause which ensures the rebellion get away with it due to Yoda's non-involvement doesn't stand up to any sensible scrutiny. Were the Aliance on "double-secret probation" pending confirmation of Yoda being involved?