main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Extremely technical aspects of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthSikle, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Love it or hate it?

I personally think Buffy is one of the most innovative show on TV in years (Sinec Twin Peaks)

This season, contrary to most people, I thought Angel was heads above Buffy.

anyone else?

2. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Not to burst your bubble, but unless there's some deeper meaning behind your topic, it's going to get shunted to the JCC. (And there are already Buffy and Angel discussion threads there.)

Now, if you want to get into talks of some of the technical aspects of the show (set design, make-up, etc.), its use of religion and the occult, or some metaphysical/mystic discussion (i.e. the Season 5 "Death is my gift" revelation), then more power to you. I'll gladly participate. :)

EDIT: Heh...I didn't mean you had to change the title like that. :p

3. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    I've actually got a topic for discussion, but I don't have the time right now to write it all out. I'll post it later this evening. :)

4. Spiderdevil

Sep 20, 2000
    Here's something to discuss: How far is too far in terms of what we see on Buffy? This season especially, we saw much more than on other network shows. Buffy and Spike's affair, Willow's skinning of Warren, etc.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with these scenes, but I was surprised that they got by the censors.

So are the producers crossing the line in the amount of sex and violence we've seen on the show recently?

5. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I hope they push the envelope even further, but ONLY if it furthers the story. Nothing is worse that gratitous sex aand violence. HBO's Oz goes well beyond good tast each and every week but it is always in furtherance of the plot.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I must admit I was surprised at how relatively graphic the scene was when Buffy & Spike ;) My reaction was [face_shocked] "Well, I guess the censors at UPN are a trifle more lax than at the WB!" Likewise, I about jumped out of my seat when Willow skinned Warren. Of course, part of that was glee that Willow used the classic "Vamp Willow" line: "*sigh* Bored now."

Then again, this is the same network that brought you "WWF Smackdown," so I'm not all THAT surprised. I just wasn't accustomed to seeing things that graphic on "Buffy."

7. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    LOL, what's the problem with WWF Smackdown? Do we see people writhing around together making out? Do we see young ladies getting a whooping by big scary monsters and vampires? Do we see humanoids getting stabbed and turning to dust? NO! Buffy and many other shows are way, way worse than Smackdown. At least as far as I can see.

8. anakin_skywalker_sct

Apr 18, 2001
    Ha! I knew my logic would prove too difficult to question.

9. anakin_skywalker_sct

Apr 18, 2001
    Hey, I want a straight answer!

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Well since the current incarnation of this thread seems to have fizzled mind if I ask another question ?[face_plain]

No, Ok.

Why is it that Buffy and Angel are constatly snubbed? Is the material they deal with or their target audience? It seems to me at least the you are constantly hearing critical aclaim for BtVS and Angel. Its not just Firefly comercials either ;) TV guide as well as many other TV critics say that year in and year out these shows(BtVS in particular) have some of the best writting on TV. What have we gotten so far though? A handful of nominations mostly for technical aspects (and one for music IIRC).

So what do you think? Over looked or over rated ?[face_plain]

11. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I enjoyed the season of Buffy where the mayor of the town turned into a big snake at the end. Apart from that, it is rehashed, too clever for its own campness with its tongue too far up its butt cheek and too repetitive to warrant my attention.

12. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I think Buffy gets snubbed at the Emmys and other awards ceremonies is because the peoplein charge can't imagine how a show called "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer" could be any good.
    But Buffy is good and it deals with real issues that teens and young adults go through. There was an interview with Joss whendon regarding teh second season and he said one of the themes was "I slept with him and he turned bad!" whic is a sediment that I hav heard more than a few teen girls say. The show just dealt with it by turning Angel back into Angelus which I though showed that theme better than any jerk character could do...he turned evil incarnate.
    Add that to all the other topics they have dealt with: sacrifice for a greater cause, rape, friendship, death, breaking stereotypes, love, the effect of science on the world...you have an amazing show. Granted it doesn't take itself seriously, but that's part of its charm

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I just can't understand how every year around award time when BtVS comes up short you read soooo many critics questioning how it happens.

14. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I think Buffy and Angel are great shows. The episode where Buffy's mom dies was incredible. I still cry everytime I see it. I really felt for the characters, I could feel their pain. I think that was one of the best moments of drama on TV. I'm going to be 30 in a little over a month and I can still relate to the characters. They are going though what I went though as a teenager and young adult. I wish there was shows like this when I was growing, I might of felt better about myself.

As for last season with the more adult themes, I didn't mind, the characters are getting older. It was a much darker season and could relate that too the darker times in my life. I'm looking forward to how Spike deals with having a soul...Buffy enjoying life again... I'm going t be sad when the show ends.

15. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Where is the technical discussion, here?

16. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    I prefer Angel to Buffy, just slightly though. I love them both.

And yeah I'd have to say I've seen a lot worse things on Buffy/Angel then anything WWF has ever rolled out at me.

17. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    The best episode was Season 2 finale...

Buffy is probably snubbed because a lot of the voters aren't within the target audience.

18. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    But is Spike going to be a Vampire with a soul like Angel or was he returned to his human form, soul and all? He did ask to be "like he was before".

19. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    When it comes to being pretentious, the Oscars have got nothing on the Emmys.

20. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    But Buffy is good and it deals with real issues that teens and young adults go through.

It deos it in such a smart manner. If you look at the series symbolically, the demons could be attributed to kids in school that you hate; the encounters that a young person has to put up with everyday in school is energized in this blown-out form of vampires and demons. Energy is used to destroy the evil, rather than destroy your friend. It's an excellent show. It has friendship, explores issues of life and death, consequences, and it is hip/"cool" too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.