main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Fiction Recommendation Service: Recs needed for Rogues with Jaina; & Jawa stories

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, hey. Just a little while ago, I had the idea of increasing traffic in the Fan Force forums by advertising a fanfic recommendation service in my local FanForce forum. I posted the idea in the relevant thread, and then posted a thread in the Base.

Holy cow: I have two replies! :) This could even work!

I think one way to make this work is by asking for recommendations on specific topics from my fellow authors and beta-readers here in the WRF. I'm hoping you can help me make this service work.

Please post here the title and author of any fics that might meet the desired specifications. I'll have a boo at them, and then send on the ones that match the requester best.

If other FanForce members would like to offer this service to their chapters, they could use this thread for that purpose as well.

Thanks for all your help!

*Derisa*

Still Seeking Recommendations

Here is the list of requests we have had so far: please read the recommendations that have been made for each category so far, and if you can add new stories to the list, please post here with the link(s). Thanks!

- Dark Side / Sith stories

- Squadfics (pref. round robin, but others okay too)

- stories featuring alien races or told from specifically non-human viewpoints

- Darth Maul stories

- Mara Jade stories, post-Saga, with or without Luke

- Saga stories featuring original Imperial characters

- stories about the foundation of the Jedi Order and/or the Galactic Republic

- stories featuring Jaina Solo and Rogue Squadron

- mushfics about how Luke and Mara get together

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Oops, forgot to ask for recommendations for the two requests I've had already!

One member wants to read about the Sith and the Darkside.

Another member is looking for good squadfic.

Any stories that feature these elements would be most welcome. As I said before, I will ahve a look at them and pass along those stories that would likely fit those requestors the best!

Thanks again! :)

*Derisa*

3. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Any Sith in particular?

-Tim

4. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I've got a fic with lots of Dark Side junk, but it's long and full of OCs. Is that any good or no?

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Any Sith or Dark Side material is welcome. O/Cs are an absolute YES! :)

Post the title of your story here if you think it might meet the request. :) Thanks!

*Derisa*

6. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Okay, because I have a story ongoing about Palpatine's early career and his entry into both politics and the Sith. Unfortunately, AOTC has rendered a few things obsolete (for example, Palpatine's service as a young frigate captain in the Republic Navy at the beginning of the story, which, alas, did not exist until the Clone Wars, apparently) but I'm going ahead with the fic anyway since it was tied into a few paragraphs in my speculative Ep II.

The first half is mostly about political intrigue and corruption, but the second will deal heavily with the Sith and dark side philosphy. There are a lot of OC's; the only canon characters are Palps and a younger Valorum, who only makes a brief appearance.

-Tim

7. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    My story is The Legend of Black Saber. Should I link to it? Oh, heck, I will anyway...

here

8. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I have a lightside fic but it has a lot of darkside in it. The fic is only a lightside fic because Anakin stays light. The fic includes Maul, Darth Tyranus, Sidious, an OC Vader and numerous Dark Jedi. That plus the fact that it is going to be novel length and may end badly for our heroes. If this is what they're looking for the fic is "What I Know" A Clone Wars through EP3 AU and the link is in my signature.

9. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Can I recommend someone else's fic? Then I'd point the Sith-curious guy to Casper_Knightshade's work. Right now, he's working on "The Sith Maiden," posted in "Before the Saga," and its two prequels are linked there.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Just in case the reader meant fics about Rogue or Wraith or other squadrons, and not RR's like Talon Intelligence, I recommend these:

Xaara's Home in Time for Supper is a Wraith Squadron story with a few OC's -- very entertaining in my opinion.

A Wes Janson vignette by the same author that's very funny and touching, too, is The Good of the Galaxy.

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Also in case the reader meant Rogue or Wraith Squadron fic: InyriForge's X-Wing: Deception is a really wonderful story that involves both squads. I highly recommend it. :)

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thnaks for the recommendations, guys: keep them coming. Some of those stories were already linked to my requestors, and they've already begun reading. :)

This is actually working! Yay!

*Derisa*

13. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, I've got one to recommend. This story is called You don't know the power. It's a AOTC AU story. A very interesting twist if Anakin had turned the other way. There's lots of shocking and suprising twists. If you like AU, Ewok-From-Endor is the fan fiction author you should be checking out. ;)

This is the only time I've really recommended a story since I've been a member here too btw. That is how much I've enjoyed it. ;)

14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    These Recommendations are great, and we may have yet another visitor to the Fan Fiction forums. One of Victory Base's members is interested in alien races, and would very much like to read stories that delve into sentient non-human species.

If you have written, or know of, a story she might be interested in, please post it here (links are fine, apparently) and I'll forward it on to her!

Thanks for your support of increasing readership, one story at a time! :)

*Derisa*

15. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oooh, oooh, oooh, I have been waiting for a request like this! :) I highly recommend these two fics:

Hajii's Children Forced to flee by an intruder in the camp, a lone Tusken Raider on the brink of adulthood must survive alone in the desert--but this is only the beginning. His journey will test his strength, his faith, and his view of the universe.

Shows a rich, detailed look into the Tuskan culture, with their religion and taboos.

No Good Deed After escaping the Trade Federation?s forces? attack on the city of Otoh Gunga, Captain Tarpals and his patrol of Gungan riders rescue a group of their people from a droid convoy. In doing so, they inadvertently liberate a number of Naboo youngsters and their guardians as well. During the journey to the nearest human settlement, the combined group must face wild animals, droid scouts, and the long-running distrust between Gungan and human.

Don't be put off the word "Gungan" -- this story shows the Gungans as intelligent, thoughtful, wise, graceful -- everything that Jar-Jar is not. This also shows a rich, detailed look into Gungan culture, showing their language, background, and legends. The Gungans are shown as wonderfully "human", too, with prejudices of their own! If you've been converted to the Gungan Appreciation Society by Seldes Katne's works, as I was, there are links to more of her stories in the first post.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Wonderful, JAne! Thanks so much!

*Derisa*

17. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I've got a few recommendations to add:

Sea_trooper: "The Life of Tuan We: The Cloning Years" Tuan We of Kamino recalls events in her early life in diary form. Unfinished.

AlrikFassbauer: "In Love with a Jedi (In Liebe mit einer Jedi)" This story is written in German, so unfortunately I can?t give you much information about it. It deals with Shaak Ti, the Togruta Jedi we saw in AotC. Unfinished.

"Bib Fortuna?s End" Jabba the Hutt?s Twi?lek major domo in a duel for his life. Complete.

Alrik has also written a short commentary/essay on the Togruta (Shaak Ti?s race), found here

Zahn_Matrix: "Scales of the Dragon". Keiko, a young Ewok on the verge of adulthood, uses his memory of an old legend to rescue a "good'un" (Rebel soldier) from an Imperial stormtrooper. Complete. (This is another case of not allowing the race of the hero to scare you off ? these aren?t your parent?s Ewoks. This story is a real gem.)

Emimar: "Starchaser" Follows the adventures and struggles of several Shistavanens during the rise of the Emperor. (The Shistavanens are also called ?wolfmen?; we see one briefly in the cantina scene in ANH.) Original character story. Unfinished.

"A Wookiee?s Honor" Exactly what the title says. Original character story. Unfinished.

And I?m including this one as well, even though I realize Jar Jar Binks is a less-than-popular character: "Jar Jar Binks and the Secrets of the Gungan Sacred Place" , by Timbolton. I thought the author did a good job of portraying Jar Jar with a toned-down annoyance factor. Complete.

18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Wow, Seldes! Thanks for the recs! :) I'll have a boo, and pass along those my friend might enjoy! :)

*Derisa*

19. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Derisa, I dropped you a PM on one of your earlier requests.

~Inyri

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Got the PM, Inyri, thanks! And just FYI, everyone, previous requests are still valid, so lease feel free to post your links and recommendations here! :)

I hope these recommendations are generating new traffic for those stories, as that was half the idea! :)

*Derisa*

21. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Brilliant work, everyone! :)

Am [face_love]

22. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but my current (and only) fic, Shards of the Heart, may work for your Dark Side readers. Anakin has just recently fallen to the Sith, and Leika (oc) is trying with her friends (cast of Ruroni Kenshin) to bring him back. Problem? Toril (oc) is trying to pull Leika to the Dark Side at the same time that he's trying to kill Anakin. Oh yeah, Padme is in hiding waiting to give birth to her twins. If this might be of interest, the link is in my sig.

--later--

23. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    For squad fics, I have two:

The Wraiths Adopt Tahiri about the Wraiths and some other characters, and

Old Rogues Go Rogue which is mainly about Wes, Hobbie, and Wedge right now but will have more Rogues appear later. :)

24. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Terrific, thanks guys!

I have to try not to inundate my friends with recs, which can be a challenge when there's so much out here that's really good. :)

Although there's not as many Darkside fics as I'd thought there would be. I wonder why that is?

*Derisa*

25. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Hello.

Thanks for including my stories ( I would have done it myself :p ) , but an addition : The Story "In love with a Jedi" is finished, apart from the fact that I'm currently making an translation of it into the English language. ;) Might take some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.