main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfic Research Question

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LoriLynn, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    All right guys I've come across a bit of a conundrum while planning my next fic and I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

Is it possible for a couple--one Force-sensitive, one not--to have a child that is Force-sensitive and another that is not?
    I'm not too familiar with the EU, is there a precedent for this?

Here are the specs I'm looking at right now:

2. Mother is Force-sensitive and very strong

3. Father is not Force-sensitive

4. Two children, born 4 years apart

5. I realize that Force-sensitivity is determined by genes and Midichlorians, but (and this is somewhat of a stretch here) I've known siblings that look nothing alike. They share the same parents, same genes, but they are completely different. I don't know whether this would translate into the SW universe or not.

Any insight you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

~LoriLynn

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I think pretty much anything is possible. :) Mixed Force-using couples (one Force-sensitive, the other not) have Force-sensitive children all the time (Han/Leia, Corran/Mirax, etc.) and a non-Force-sensitive child being born to Jedi parents has been established in the comics: Fionah Ti.

I'd say go for it!

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You are good Trace. I was researching this to try to help out LoriLynn and couldn't find a two-jedi parents with a non-force child user example. I heard there was a new SW book out that explains Midiclorians better.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Also, in The Crystal Star, Tigris is the son of two very powerful, Force-sensitive people, but he has no powers of his own.

9. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    Wow that was quick! Thanks so much for the help guys! This will definitely give me some new levels of plot to play with!

[:D]

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Agree with Trace. I can't think of an example exactly as yours, but in Survivor's Quest we hear of Jinzler who's sister was suddenly Force sensitive when he wasn't and his parents neither - so it seems Force sensitivity must be recessive.

11. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    You can really do whatever you want. That kind of issue is more up to you and what kind of story you want.

You can have their first child Force Sensitive and the secon not due to something that happend, like a disease, or something, if you want, to add a drama to your characters, or it could be just happinstance. Anything is possible if you you explain it correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.