main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Oh my gosh, I somehow managed to miss this very good question! :oops: I was reminded about it by seeing your most recent story, so of course now it's too late ([face_blush] ), but I think your use of the term is perfectly fine if you're talking about a fairly large-scale, non-staged musical composition on sacred (or near-sacred) themes featuring chorus, solo singers, and orchestra. "Cantata" is another word that can be used for a similar composition (and which I think would be fine even in the GFFA since it really just means "sung [work],") and of course for a more "outworldly" effect one can mash the two words up as "cantatorio" or similar, following a similar pattern to what I suggested for piano equivalents.

Again, really sorry I managed to miss this. Hope you can forgive me. [face_blush]

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe a bit to late for this but I would recommend going to D6 Holocron's download page and take a look at the Galaxy Guide 14:The Dark Side, Tales of the Jedi Companion, The Jedi Academy Sourcebook and Dark Empire Sourcebook pdfs. They have chapters with darks side powers.

Or take a look at the Force power index at the D6 Holocron wiki

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    "Cantatorio" is brilliant! It has this more secular feel to it that "oratorio". I'll edit my story - with credit, of course :)

Oh, and we're all aware that you have other things to do than answering people's questions here. You know, what with being a working mum and all, and having a life... :p So there's really, really nothing to apologize for!!

Thanks! [face_love]

Goodwood likes this.
  4. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    So I think it's in one of the Clone Wars novels (Wild Space: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Clone_Wars:_Wild_Space) where it's suggested that a Jedi's midichlorian count can change. After Anakin loses his arm, Yoda's lamenting the injury because it'll negatively affect Anakin's connection to the Living Force-- possibly suggesting that his midichlorian count will decrease. Does that mean a Jedi's midichlorian count change throughout his or her life? If it can decrease, can it also increase? If so, what might cause the midichlorians to increase in quantity?

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

This is a bit of an... oops on their part. Midichlorian count is per cell, loosing a body part reduces the total number of cells in the body therefore effects the 'total' midichlorian count, and therefore reduces their connection to the force.

Yoda is only marginally stronger then the rest of the council, mostly because his body is small.

6. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014

That's Yoda's excuse for everything.

Thank you! I read the book a while ago, from the library, so I was kind of fuzzy on the details.

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Y'know, this makes me wonder if midichlorian-doping could ever be a thing. :p

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding so did Jerec try it.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a question: can force mages use anything similar to force lightning, or anything else that could horribly disfigure the recipient's looks? I kinda don't want a regular Sith in my story, not that they would have a reason to be there.

10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Force Lightning is a highly-advanced dark side power, which is why it's most closely associated with the Sith. I don't know of a canonical practitioner of that power who wasn't a Sith for at least some part of their lives, and it takes quite a lot of training (and commitment) to even get to that level of dark side mastery. However, disfigurement is relatively easy to do; you don't even have to use the Force for it, as the gentle caress of a lightsaber blade would do it to most species. Pumping a target with enough dark energy would also do it in something equivalent to Force-based torture as well.

I'm sure there's a more specific power out there, though.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is precisely in the lines of what I'm looking for - with no technology involved. Thanks for the idea, hope somebody does have more details to this, as I wouldn't even know in which book or comic to look.

12. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Would Gethzerion's Force torture count?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Force mages, as actually something different then budget jedi/sith, are not that usual in the EU, I recommend reading the Courtship of Princess Leia and watching the Clone Wars episodes with the nightsisters. There is also the Ewoks: The Battle for Endor movie.

I would say that the Force users techniques/abilities/skills depend upon what culture s/he comes from. Do you have any idea or do you want suggestions?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Gamiel, since my story is revolving around explaining why an Ewok from ROTJ looks remarkably different from what he was like in his childhood and early to mid teens and he's a force mage in the EU, I was most likely going to have somebody attack him at some point in the story. But at this point, that somebody is being referred to as XYZ, as I have no idea who or what they should be.

The timeline for the story is between the Ewoks cartoon series and the 2013 Shadows of Endor graphic novel (where Charal first appears, in terms of chronology), so it would have to be somebody other than Charal.

ThreadSketch, that's an awesome find, but I'm not sure why would she be interested in messing around on the forest moon of Endor cca. a year before ROTJ, even before the Empire arrives.

I have some more questions, I apologise if they're outright stupid.

1. Given the edit limit on this whole board and my perfectionism which often results in being seriously upset when I see myself make a spelling error, is the edit limit any different in this section? I don't care if the errors are permitted, I don't like making them. Also, since I'll add the name of the main villain later, this would come in handy.

2. For people who might not be familiar with the characters etc, can I include links to e.g. YouTube or Wookiepedia?

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ewok Poet, it's my understanding that there is no edit limit in effect in the fanfic section of the forum, though mavjade or Briannakin will be able to confirm that better. As to links to Wookieepedia and such, I know I have seen that done at the end of each chapter in at least one story here (Long Gone by Kahara ), and I for one fund it helpful and fun. :cool:

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you so much. :)

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Okej, Endor... I don't remeber mush of the cartoon but I do remember Logray having some powers and there is also Morag, you could use those two as a model on what kind of Force techniques/skills a mystic on Endor could have and then think on how to use those techniques/skills for evil.

The way I see it (this is not backed by the RPG part of the EU) so should most Force mages be highly limited in their use and understanding of the Force, but this do not mean they can not be powerful.

Some non-SW examples that I think could rather easily be translated to SW as Force traditions: Crocodile Dundee from, well, Crocodile Dundee; the ninjas from the movie Ninja Assassin; the Kai-order from the Lone Wolf solo adventure books; the benders from the Avatar cartoons; most of the traditions in Mage: the Sorcerers Crusade RPG or at least their concepts; the magic style in Gondica RPG (only in Swedish sadly); the red haired witch from Fire and Ice; the Smoker class from Deadlands RPG and nearly any wuxia fighter. – if anybody have more suggestions or want to discus some of the choices feel free.

Now this list is probably not so helpful for Endor but I have been waiting for a chance to make one like it and you gave me a reason. For Endor I think that what will be most likely are concepts like a shaman dealing with the wrong type of spirits; medicine man gone bad; druids worshiping dark gods and wizards who use their knowledge to do evil.

Before you begin to develop plans on how to explain why Gethzerion is on Endor so do I want to point out that it is plot point that she never left her homeplanet, Dathomir. Now this don’t mean you can not use an nightsister since some of them have been know to, one way or another, having left Dathomir, Kyrisa for example.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    I feel like I'm over-thinking this but I have a pre-Empire bank of questions. Where can I find information about:
    1. If the Jedi could/did vote in the Chancellor elections or other major Republic elections?
    2. Every society has laws relating to age, including "this is the age that you're now considered an 'adult'" and "you must be X years old to do Y activity." What was that age, if any, in the Galactic Republic? Was it one set age for every citizen or could individual planets and species have their own local laws?

Thank you! I need some actual Star Wars reference books. I think that'll be my Christmas present to myself this year.

19. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I have no firm idea about your second question, though one would assume that most planets even in the Republic had their own, similar ages of majority, while the Republic itself might have a minimum age for certain things like civil services or the military—probably seventeen or eighteen for Humans and similar for similar species. As for your first, considering the fact that the post of Supreme Chancellor has been held by Jedi for extended periods of time during the history of the Republic, then Jedi could probably vote according to the same rules as regular citizens. Despite that, I doubt it was ever the Jedi way to "pull a Sidious" and use the Force to gain power, as that would be antithetical to the very tenants of the Order.

I hope that makes things a little less confusing, rather than more, but it's the best I have off the top of my head. :)

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That fully depends on the society and what species it is made up by. The Republic is probably accepting all real (or at least real looking) licenses that people put forward but Republic law is probobly only superseding planetary law in a handfull of cases, in deep space and on Coruscant.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Just Logray and Morag? You're kinda breaking my heart here. *points to the avatar*

Morag would've died about two years before this story (I don't buy that the whole cartoon series and everything up to ROTJ occurred in the same year, so that's the only thing I adjusted...), so definitely not her.

I'm not sure what you're implying in the last paragraph, though...would you want to invent the villain in my story? :) :) :) I would be up for that, and I'll credit you. Holy err...what's a G-rated word for this...droppings, never did this before!

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is over ten years since I last saw an episode and I only saw at most two handfuls of them.

I would love to but I don't feel fully qualified for that, my knowledge of Endor rather lacking. I also have a bit of time problem right now so put me up on maybe.

Ading to this list - the Hassansins, mostly their leader Zolm, from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

23. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Is there any official information as to what the preferred fighting method of Falon Grey was? From that short cutscene where we see him fight he seemed to have a sort of Obi-Wan thing going on with mixing Ataru, Soresu and some Niman in there too but did they ever release anything to confirm it?

24. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    1. I think the Chancellor was elected by the Senate - at least, that's the impression I got in TPM. As for other elections, the Jedi probably voted like regular citizens.

2. Would depend on the individual planet, I think. I mean, we know that on Naboo 14-year-olds could be elected as public officials; that's presumably not the case in most parts of the galaxy. I imagine drinking laws, driving laws, etc. were similarly diverse and people had to follow the laws of the planet they were currently on. After all, different species mature at different rates: if the Republic tried to set a law based on human ages (say, 'you're an adult at age 18'), there might be species who are still physically/emotionally/intellectually children after having lived for 18 years - and other species which only live for twenty years, and who are considered adults at ten. Not to mention that the length of a year depends on your planet, so even though there was a standard "year", it might not be very relevant to the experiences of groups on certain planets.

jcgoble3 and Gamiel like this.
  25. gracesonnet

May 20, 2014
    That all makes more sense. Thank you! I'm a bad SW fan because I totally forgot about the "let's elect this 14-year old to be our queen!" thing.