main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

My juvenile side is impressed, I'm going to canonize you..brb, looking for whatever props such a ceremony requires. :eek::)O:)

Can't wait to show this to everybody, bwahahahahahahahaha. :D

Kahara likes this.
  2. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    No canonizing necessary! *tears sweater and runs away like Paul and Barnabas from Lystra*

[​IMG]

But srsly, everybody's gotta go. It's an important matter, I say! o_O:p

Goodwood and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  4. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    pronker likes this.
  5. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Now I imagine Threepio reading the GFFA equivalent of the book to the Solo kids. Punctuated by exclamations of "oh my" and "Is that really necessary? Oh dear.."

jcgoble3 and TrakNar like this.
  6. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    ROTFLspew. [face_rofl]

I guess I'm handing out two Internet prizes today, LOL.

jcgoble3 and Kahara like this.
  7. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    There are some things a droid is happier not knowing.

8. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    In Threepio's case, there are MANY things a droid is happier not knowing. :p (Including the fact that Darth Vader rebuilt him, lolz.)

Goodwood and Kahara like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kahara likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here is the pic if anybody is interested

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    TrakNar you do need to make more SW fanart. I suggest non-Zuckuss Gands, preferably in many different stiles of clothes, maybe a findsman in her finery...

13. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I had a question about the PT because I need some information for a fanfic I am writing. In the PT did Padme ever beg Anakin to give up the Jedi and run away with her. Didn't she say something while on Mustafar? If I can find out if she said it and when I can look it up probably or fast forward my DVD's and find it.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hmm, now, that is giving me ideas for my next fanon thread post... [face_thinking]

And even though this is technically the wrong thread, I just noticed what a YKYAFFWWism that statement (i.e., the one just made by me) is.

Goodwood, Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    "Come away with me. Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can." -- have a look here.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

...or maybe something for me. :eek:

17. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Hello all I am wondering your thoughts on how to start a tale. Most of the time for myself I can think of the story and such but the beginning is what stalls me the most.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I often have the same problem, I usually ignore the start and begin writing at the place of the storyline I have most of an concrete idea about

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    NightWatcher: Like Gamiel, I write what I feel, what I can see. I don't fret about order. If your drawing a blank, I'd suggest discussing elements of the fic with someone you trust. Sounding boards can help unbury ideas or facets the writer can't see themselves. Or just give it time. I have found forcing words makes it ring hollow.

NightWatcher91, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you don't like classic beginnings, start in medias res.

I can't agree more - and this is the reason why I'm often taking days to respond to people, days to write a couple of sentences in parts of my stories...I just prefer to do it right. :)

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed, Poet. Cushy is likewise a very authentic and heart person. I strive to make my craft be right, to *fit*. It is often a test of patience and faith but it is worth it. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    For those who might not know, when a story is started in medias res, that means that the narrative begins in the midst of some sort of activity in which the protagonists are currently participating in. For example, flying about in a 1929 Stearman biplane while finishing up the dusting of a field of crops. It's a fairly reliable method of getting readers interested in the story itself, as well as acquainting them with the general flow of the narrative (your "writing style").

Contrast with starting in exposition mode, in which the narrator or one of the characters starts the story off by describing who they are and why they're at the point they are at right then. In my experience this tends to be a bit more ponderous and clunky, particularly if exposition isn't one's strong suit (guilty), so I don't really recommend trying it.

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree there do tend to be two major styles but indicating preference regarding potentially influencing another is a tricky thing. One doesn't usually know another's wiring. I am an exposition and description sort and others are too. Neither is wrong they simply speak to different individuals. :) I'd suggest following one's own instincts regarding style.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Hence the qualifiers "in my experience" and "I don't recommend it." :p

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I usually write a very short exposition and then I add a lot of inner monologues to fill the reader in on specific characters and events relevant to the story.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.