main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi (9 Hardcover Series) General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Sounds post-LOTF to me. Can't say I'm too thrilled about that so soon, but if it is just a simple trilogy rather than another massive series, that could be okay.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm sick of the Dark Times, but post-LOTF has me worried.

If it's after LOTF, could this be on the origin of the Imperial Knights, since Luke is supposedly rethinking the purpose of the Jedi Order during Millennium Falcon?

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I would like to say I'm interested of it, but can't, not after Invincible, even when Allston's books in LotF tended to be good and Betrayal was perhaps the best in the entire series.

4. Dark_jedi224

Dark_jedi224 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    I would love for them to make a book about the origins of the IK's cause i just can't see why some Jedi would break off and join the Imp. Remnant, assuming that's who the first IKs were. Maybe also give some backstory to Legacy comic. Should be interesting.

5. TD33

TD33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2008
    i just wish they had done 2 or 3 standalone books after MF before starting a new series, still excited about the book though

6. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm very excited about a new Allston novel. Went straight to Amazon and preordered the minute I saw the
    details. You would think they could have a better discount, at $27.00 yikes! Didn't stop me though.:p

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Fate of the Jedi? FotJ? Interesting. If the title is intended to be accurate, or at the very least make sense, then I'd think this would be coming after LotF. Seems kind of short, though. Either way, very interesting. [face_thinking]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The book is listed as $27 on Amazon.:eek: It's $20 at Amazon Canada. If the American price is correct it might not even be a novel. I mean at 256 pages? Or is that just crazy talk? Maybe Amazon got the price wrong. :shrugs:

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, on the one hand, its an Allston book, so yay! On the other hand... it could be the start of a trilogy, and I don't really have a good view of Star Wars novel projects these days. Fate of the Jedi, hm..., well, vague, but honestly, it could be "epic" or it could just be more of Luke debating on what to do with the Jedi. Of course, that also all depends on the time period and whether this book even exists, since so far, only Amazon lists it? Its not like book series are always accurate, we had a book series (for younger readers, but still) called Last of the Jedi, focusing on some random former Padawan/Knight, and as we know, while the Jedi Purge was very thorough, it was nowhere near complete. Though I am getting kind of tired of "Jedi survivor of the dark times tries to survive, then ends up dead". We alread have the Coruscant Nights series in progress. If this is post LotF, it'd be nice to actually see what the galaxy is like, but after how badly LotF went, I'm almost kind of afraid what they're going to do next.

10. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    It might be "Jedi survivor of Krayt's Purge tries to survive, then perhaps ends up dead"...[face_plain] Who knows?:confused:

11. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    Based on my expierence Amazon usually doesn't have the correct page numbers so I wouldn't sweat it to much. It'll probably be longer but Amazon probably uses a default page number when they load a new book in the system.

12. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Fate of the Jedi...hmm...hopefully this won't be Dark Times, because that's been pretty well covered.

On the other hand, hopefully this won't be post-LOTF, since that's just pretty much one huge charlie foxtrot.:p

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Well, it's not going to be in the Legacy era. I seriously don't see it in the Dark Times era. Why would it not be post LOTF? Charlie foxtrot or not?

14. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    If it does turn out to be post LotF and Allston is writing?

There are no words to describe how happy I will be. :)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    It's just that...I dunno, really, I just kinda want to let sleeping dogs lie, and let Jim Luceno handle the loose ends. And leave it at that for a good long while.

16. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    True, but they tend to use higher default page numbers: 336, 320 and 304 pages seem to be usual default ones for Star Wars novels.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    This is promising, imo. I don't really care what the setting is, but I definitely like Allston's writing.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Are we so sure it's DT era? It's not his usual period, and seems unlikely.

Consider: New Jedi Order ---> Legacy of the Force ---> Fate of the Jedi

Could this be the long awaited book to enshrine the IWoD? Could the fate of the Jedi be to split in two and lead to the creation of the Imperial Knights?

Questions, questions...

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I might be interested if he were doing something Wraith-like again with his own cast of characters. Judging by the title, though, I'm assuming it's another epic Jedi-centric story, and to me Allston's LotF books proved his style isn't conducive to that type of story. I'll most likely pass on this.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I detest the misuse of the word 'epic.' I really do.

21. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    I hope it's set after LOTF/MF. It could detail the future of Luke's Jedi Order perhaps some members evolving into Imperial Knights as of the Legacy comics. Legacy is the most fascinating era for me cause it has the classic characters along with the new generation of Jedi Knights. Maybe it could even feature some hidden Jedi who reemerge into the known galaxy after hiding out in the Unknown Regions for many years after Order 66.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Wearing his hat? [face_praying]

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's funny...I'm the biggest defender of NJO and LotF you'll find, and even I'm getting weary of this - assuming, of course, that this is the next big post-LotF thing. With a title like Fate of the Jedi, and given both what the characters have been through already and what we know is coming up in Legacy, what I'd like to see this be is a trilogy, going waaay forward - like a good twenty years or so. Using a word like "Fate" to describe one self-contained story, in fact, would seem tacky to me...how about a trilogy where the first book is five years after LotF, the second ten years after that, the third twenty years after that. Then they could really map out the next huge chunk of time in a believable way that guarantees the characters some rest and isn't dependent upon a big conflict every five years.

And 27 bucks for 256 pages? I'm getting weary of that regardless of what the book is, so let's hope it's just placeholder data.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Tiresome as this concept may be on occasion, I have to say that I infinitely prefer it to its far-too-common alternative, "Jedi survivor of Dark Times tries to survive, winds up surviving into Legacy Era." [face_plain]

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    What if this is about Jacen's 5-year galactic mystery tour?

Sinrebirth likes this.