main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Favorites From History

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I do like when people are sharing things beyond just a name drop. But especially since these are often well-known figures, I much prefer the posts where people highlight the points that attract them personally, instead of just a general outline of their most famous accomplishments. That way we get insight into our fellow posters and their historical favorites, both.

Coruscant likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    For Theodore Roosevelt, it's the wide range of his accomplishments, as well as the apparent contradictions in his nature (avid hunter and avid conservationist, advocated a strong military and brokered peace in the Russo-Japanese War, staunch Republic and staunch Progressive).

Sarge likes this.
  3. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    A guy who used to work for me just had his name changed to No One so he could run for President. Though I guess he's not an historical figure...yet.

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Well Cousteau, he loved the Ocean and I love the ocean. He actually was able to take people there via film, especially for a kid that grew up in the Midwest. I have used his Aqua Lung invention twice in my life, and he brought me footage of sharks. Sharks I tell ya!

Muir believed in keeping big areas of land and turn them into National Parks. Because of him I have enjoyed many a camping trip. Heck next week I will be going to Mt Saint Helens, Mt Rainier, and hopefully Olympic Nation Park. His split from Pinchot was very interesting, and still is a major issue in Conservation.

PS. Go see Yosemite National Park. Just an unbelievable place.

Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

For Saladin, I've always liked his rise to power, as a Kurdish Sunni who rose through the ranks of a Shia kingdom, outwitting the Fatimids and becoming a full fledged Sultan in his own right, and channeling that into overthrowing the Crusader states. Yet, he was a relatively kind person who resisted the temptation to do unto the Crusaders as they had done during the First Crusade and throughout their existence. On a personal level I first became aware of him, after learning about his clemency after the capture of Jerusalem, and was eager to learn more. Given that 9/11 had just happened, it was also nice to learn and point to an example of an honorable Muslim leader when everyone at school was demonizing Muslims.

Churchill is an fascinating figure. He stood practically alone during the 1930's warning against Nazi Germany's rearmament and aggression, and explaining the need to forcefully counter them with diplomacy and starting to rearm Britain and France. Yet he was treated as nothing more than a Cassandra, ridiculed and forgotten, until Hitler's intentions became abundantly clear. I also found his defections to the Liberal Party, and back to the Conservatives interesting, as he was a politician who was not afraid to thumb his nose at party leadership (he basically supported wealth distrubtion after he bolted the Conservatives pre-WWI). And of course when the chips were down in 1940-41, he rallied British public opinion to resist the Blitz and the global reverses worldwide.

Yet Churchill was also a racist, hating South Asians in particular (which of course I am). And he wasn't one of those racists where you can excuse as a product of his times. He was very very nasty about it. He made plenty of idiotic mistakes because he couldn't get out of his own way (though Gallipoli was hardly his fault). He was one of the most arrogant men of modern times, he was a master user and manipulator and would discard people who served no further use for him, frequently ruining them. It's odd, being fascinated a man who would probably hate me on account of my ethnicity, but it's because of his huge flaws, matched with his successes and stature, which makes me do so.

My reasons for being drawn to Napoleon are similar to Vivec's. There's something about Napoleon's naked ambition, the propaganda cult he set up around himself, and his daring which get to me. He came from a cultural backwater, born to a mediocre magistrate, and rose to crown himself Emperor. In fact, the span from Toulon (where he first distinguished himself as a mere artillery captain) to crowning himself was a little more than a decade, such a short span of time for such a rise.

As for Lincoln, he's rather self-explanatory. I do think he's the greatest figure in American history.

darskpine10 and Coruscant like this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Douglas MacArthur

[​IMG]

This man was had a huge ego.

Even in defeat when he lost the Philippines to Japan he vowed to returned. He helped with the reconstruction of Japan and then was fired because he started making his own foreign policy, which then President Truman had to read about in the paper.

Coruscant likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Neil Armstrong. A great explorer and a reminder that its the geeks and nerds who push back the frontiers of knowledge and build and run our society.

[​IMG]

8. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Socrates.

I'm a pretty basic guy who respects strength, courage, honour, loyalty, compassion and mastery. By mastery, I mean talent honed by consistent, dedicated hard work.

Socrates was physically strong and a capable wrestler. At his trial, the reknowned military commander Alcibiades spoke of his bravery in battle and loyalty in risking his life to save his friend. He also had the mental fortitude to be his own man, the courage to stand up to the state and the honour to die remaining true to himself while exile was everyone else's preferred option. His life was driven by compassion rather than personal gain. He could have made a fortune as a sophist but instead remained poor while teaching Athens' brightest and best with an emphasis on ethics rather than simply winning arguments in the law courts or eklesia (sp? Iello?) In terms of mastery, he had a profound and lasting impact on western thought through Plato and Aristotle without writing a word.

Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Prince Eugene of Savoy

Ugly duckling helps save the Habsburg monarchy from a series of existential crises.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Charles Lindbergh. He had huge amounts of skill, intelligence, bravery, integrity, and luck, and it didn't go to his head when the whole world lionized him. Eventually some started slinging mud at him, but he ignored them and kept his hands clean.

Coruscant likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For good reason.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I've developed a fondness for cake, so any historical figure who would let me eat it, gets my vote

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You may or may not be interested to know that Saladin is doing quite well in the Civ V AI-Only Battle Royale Mark II.

Point Given and Coruscant like this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    .nevermind.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Bertrand Russell, just because he had a fairly interesting life and is one of the founding fathers of my field. Also because a comic based on him is at least tangentially responsible for my career trajectory and the fact that I ever picked up a copy of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, leading to that whole philosophy thing that I can't seem to make a break from.

Basically he's a case where I can honestly say "Yeah I owe a lot about my life to this dead guy I never met" and that's fun.

16. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Julie d'Aubigny, who, it seems to me, was the living embodiment of YOLO in 17th century France.

That whole article is worth a read, her life was basically a never-ending cycle of performing in operas, taking lovers, besting people in duels, and then running away to another city and doing it all again. Here's my favorite part, which doesn't even involve a duel at all:

Coruscant likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Horatio Nelson, First Viscount Nelson. From modest roots did he rise to become the greatest naval tactician in the greatest navy the world had ever known. Wounded several times, he lost an arm and sight in one eye before finally falling to sniper shot at Trafalgar. However, despite this Britain won that battle decisively, decimating Admiral Villeneuve's much larger fleet (England had 27 ships of the line plus 6 other ships, such as sloops; France and Spain had 41 ships in total of which 33 were ships of the line. They lost 11 ships and 3x as many hands as Britain, who lost no ships at all.)
    Britain resisted short person syndrome because of the heroic victories of this great leader.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Kim Kardashian.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    napoleon - forever remembered as having a complex. nelson - forever remembered as having a massive column. to the victor go the spoils

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Leonardo da Vinci, greatest polymath of the Renaissance.

From humble roots as the illegitimate son of a noble, he became one of finest minds to ever have lived.

MrZAP and Coruscant like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    To have attempted some of the tactics he did, you'd need a huge column.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm pretty sure you posted this in jest, but IIRC she is the most followed person on social media. She might be the most covered and documented person in human history with all of the media coverage, TV show and personal self promotion.

Kim Kardashian is certainly a case study on how to be famous by just being famous and like it or not, she is a role model for many people.

Coruscant likes this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Vasily Ivanovich Chuikov. Commanded the 62nd Shock Army at the Battle of Stalingrad, where his tactic of "hugging the enemy" bled the Germans white. Twice awarded the honor Hero of the Soviet Union. Led the 8th Guards Army during the assault on Berlin and was the one who accepted the surrender of German forces in the city.

Coruscant likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Darth Guy, Wikipedia? Srsly?! :rolleyes:

Lindbergh was misquoted, taken out of context, and outright lied about in the press by journalists and politicians with axes to grind. He never bothered to try to correct all the lies that were spread about him; he had more important things to do with his time. Try reading The Wartime Journals of Charles Lindbergh for a first person POV of what he was really like, and also any of his wife's published letters and diaries. I've read them all and found them fascinating.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

One of only two non-Royals to be given the honour of a full state funeral. The other was this guy.

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Coruscant like this.