main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favourite and least favourite deliveries of a line in SW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    lines I don't like how they were carried out/sound (personable opinions)

Luke's Noooo in ESB
    Vader's Nooooo in ROTS
    "Are you an Angel? " Anakin- TPM

Lines I like how they sound/carried out

"I will not condone a coarse of action that will lead us to war"-Queen Amidala TPM

(This part of the Senate speech in TPM)
    Finis Valorum: The chair recognizes the Senator from the sovereign system of Naboo.
    Palpatine: Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the Senate, a tragedy has occurred... which started right here with the taxation of trade routes... and has now engulfed our entire planet... in the oppression of the Trade Federation.
    Valorum: The chair does not recognize the senator from the Trade Federation at this time.
    Palpatine: To state our allegations, I present Queen Amidala, recently elected ruler of the Naboo, who speaks on our behalf.
    Queen Amidala: Honorable representatives of the Republic, I come to you under the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by the droid armies of the Trade...

"Move the fleet out of the asteroid field so we can send a clear transmission"-Vader ESB

"Intensify forward firepower" Piett-ROTJ

"Hundreds of Senator are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious" Dooku AOTC
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They may be more, but this is what I can think of.

Some of dialogue sounded odd/cartoony in ROTS too

such as Mace's "A Sith Lord?"
    or Palpatine's "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy"

But I find them kind of funny sounding

SuperPersch likes this.
  2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Close the blahst doors!!!

3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I'll think of one for each film later, but for a brilliant line the first one that spring to mind was Vader's "bring my shuttle" from TESB. The one and only change I don't like in the special additions!

As for worst lines, I love AOTC but I hate hate hate Anakins "I am a slow learner" line. It makes him sound like a special kid...!

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    So many contenders, but...

Bouquets

TPM - We'll handle this.
    AOTC - I don't think so.
    ROTS - The dark side of the force is a path to abilities some consider to be ... unnatural.
    ANH - I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    TESB - I know.
    ROTJ - I'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur.
    TFA - The garbage'll do.

Brick bats

TPM - Yippee.
    AOTC - It's not fair.
    ROTS - She has lost the will to live.
    ANH - Somebody get this walking carpet out of my way.
    TESB - Laugh it up fuzzball.
    ROTJ - Hold me.
    TFA - Cute boyfriend?

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    ROTS has the most groaners for me. Few of the attempted "quips" land, or even make sense in most cases. Everything in AOTC passes beyond cringe-worthiness and goes straight into "so-bad-it's-good" territory.

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

"Let's spring the trap"[face_dancing]

ewoksimon likes this.
  7. Scott109

Scott109 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2016
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge" - Maul
    "My no know...mesa day starten pitty okeyday witda brisky morning munchen. Den boom....getten berry scared, and grabben dat Jedi, and pow! Mesa here. Huh. Mesa getten berry berry scared" - Jar Jar

"I...I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them!" - Anakin
    "It makes me feel uncomfortable." - Padmé

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?" - Palpatine
    "Unlimited power!" - Palpatine

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Vader
    "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters" - Luke

"I have altered the deal. Pray that I do not alter it further." - Vader
    "Why you stuck-up half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder!" - Leia

"Tell your sister you were right about me" - Vader
    "I know. Somehow, I've always known" - Leia.

"Well, this is what we look like" - Finn
    "It suits you" - Poe

8. Plainview

Plainview Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    Best:
    TPM - “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
    AotC - "They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them!"
    RotS - "Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" OR "Your new Empire?"
    ANH - "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
    ESB - "The force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet."
    RotJ - "Your overconfidence is your weakness"
    "Your faith in your friends is yours".

I'll think of a worst list later.

Darth Basin likes this.
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Best - "All remaining systems will bow to the first order!"

Worst - Everything HC says and "It was Snoke that seduced our son to the dark side"

10. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I won't point out 'least favorite,' but I will say some of my favorites. Obi-Wan has a lot of great, sometimes very witty, lines delivered by Ewan but I will try to leave those out and be more balanced with my emotionally favorite line deliveries. I will try to limit myself to 4 scenes per film. Only the original 6 films.

Phantom Menace
    • "I will not defer. I've come before you to resolve this attack on our sovereignty now! I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee! If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership." -- Queen Amidala
    • "Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts." -- Qui-Gon Jinn
    • "I don't want things to change." -- Anakin Skywalker
      "But you can't stop the change... any more than you can stop the suns from setting." -- Shmi Skywalker
    • "Nooooo!" -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Attack of the Clones
    • "Put the ship down!" -- Anakin Skywalker
      "Anakin! Don't let your personal feelings get in the way! Follow that speeder." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
      "Lower the ship!" -- Anakin
      "I can't take Dooku alone! I need you! If we catch him, we can end this war right now! We have a job to do!" -- Obi-Wan
      "I don't care! Put the ship down!" -- Anakin
      "You will be expelled from the Jedi Order!" -- Obi-Wan
      "I can't leave her!" -- Anakin
      "Come to your senses! What do you think Padme would do were she in your position?" -- Obi-Wan
      "...She would do her duty." -- Anakin
    • "I can't. We can't. It's... just not possible." -- Padme Amidala
      "Anything is possible, Padme. Listen to me-" -- Anakin Skywalker
      "No, you listen! We live in a real world. Come back to it. You're studying to become a Jedi. I'm...I'm a senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it'll take us to a place we cannot go, regardless of the way we feel about each other." -- Padme
      "Then you do feel something?" -- Anakin
      "I will not let you give up your future for me." -- Padme
      "Well...you know, it wouldn't have to be that way. We could keep it a secret." -- Anakin
      "We'd be living a lie. One we couldn't keep even if we wanted to. I couldn't do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?" -- Padme
      "No. You're right. It would destroy us." -- Anakin
    • "What is it?" -- Mace Windu
      "Pain... suffering... death I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain." -- Yoda
    • "I wasn't strong enough to save you mom. I wasn't strong enough, but I promise I won't fail again. I miss you... so much." -- Anakin Skywalker
    Revenge of the Sith
    • [this whole scene but highlighting my favorite part of it]
      "I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me!" -- Anakin Skywalker
      "Anakin, you're breaking my heart! You're going down a path I cannot follow..." -- Padme Amidala
      "Because of Obi-Wan?" -- Anakin
      "Because of what you've done... what you plan to do! Stop! Stop now... come back... I love you!" -- Padme
      "Liar! You're with him! You brought him here to kill me!" -- Anakin
      "No, Anakin... no..." -- Padme
      "Let her go, Anakin. Let her go." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
      "You turned her against me!" -- Anakin
      "You have done that yourself." -- Obi-Wan
      "You will not take her from me!" -- Anakin
    • "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." -- Padme Amidala
    • "Killed not by clones, this Padawan. By a lightsaber, he was." -- Yoda
      "...Who? Who could have done this?" -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • "Ironic... he could save others from death, but not himself." -- Palpatine
      "Is it possible to learn this power?" -- Anakin
      "Not from a Jedi." -- Palpatine
    (Also the entire scene between Padme and Obi-Wan at her apartment, and when Obi-Wan mourns Anakin.)

A New Hope
    • "How did my father die?" -- Luke Skywalker
      "...A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • "But why would Imperial troops want to slaughter Jawas? If they traced the robots here, they may have learned who they sold them to and that would lead them back... home!" -- Luke Skywalker
    • "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Take her away!" -- Darth Vader
    • "Look, Your Worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me." -- Han Solo
      "It's a wonder you're still alive." -- Leia Organa
    Empire Strikes Back
    • "I saw... I saw a city in the clouds." -- Luke Skywalker
      "Friends you have there." -- Yoda
      "They were in pain..." -- Luke
      "It is the future you see." -- Yoda
      "The future? ... Will they die?" -- Luke
      "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." -- Yoda
      "I've got to go to them." -- Luke
      "Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered." -- Yoda
    • "Oh, come on! How could you know my father? You don't even know who I am. Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!" -- Luke Skywalker
      "I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience." -- Yoda
      "He will learn patience." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
      "Much anger in him, like his father." -- Yoda
      "Was I any different when you taught me?" -- Obi-Wan
      "He's not ready." -- Yoda
      "...Yoda? I am ready! I— Ben, I can be a Jedi! Ben tell him I'm rea—" -- Luke
      "Ready are you? What know you of ready? For 800 years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away to the future, the horizon. Never his mind on where he was . Hmm? What he was doing. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!" -- Yoda
      "So was I, if you remember." -- Obi-Wan
      "He is too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training." -- Yoda
      "But I've learned so much." -- Luke
    • "It's not my fault." -- Han Solo
    • "There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. ... Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy." -- Darth Vader
      "I'll never join you!" -- Luke Skywalker
      "If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father." -- Darth Vader
      "He told me enough! He told me you killed him!" -- Luke
      "No. I am your father." -- Darth Vader
    Return of the Jedi [my favorite film so I'm adding more here!]
    • "Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me" -- Luke Skywalker
      "So be it... Jedi!" -- Palpatine
    • "You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you!" -- Luke Skywalker
      "You already... have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right." -- Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
    • "Search your feelings, Father, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate!" -- Luke Skywalker
      "....It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now." -- Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
      "Then my father is truly dead." -- Luke
    • "Luke, what's wrong?" -- Leia Organa
      "Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" -- Luke Skywalker
      "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young." -- Leia
      "What do you remember?" -- Luke
      "Just... images really. Feelings." -- Leia
      "Tell me." -- Luke
      "She was... very beautiful. Kind, but... sad. Why are you asking me this?" -- Leia
      "I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her." -- Luke
      "Luke, tell me. What's troubling you?" -- Leia
      "Vader's here, now, on this moon." -- Luke
    • "I can't do it, R2. I can't go on alone." -- Luke Skywalker
      "Yoda will always be with you." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
      "Obi-Wan..." -- Luke
    • "But how could they be jamming us if they don't know... if we're coming? ... Break off the attack! The shield is still up!" -- Lando Calrissian
    • "Good shot, red two!" -- Wedge Antilles
    • "We shall double our efforts." -- Moff Jerjerrod
      "I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." -- Darth Vader
    Doing this has given me a new appreciation for the films, I think. AOTC is the most unspokenly acted of the lot, which is interesting since some the lines and line deliveries are very heightened for that film as well, but that sure makes it interesting. I think every film has good deliveries.

Danifae, AniLukeRey and jimkenobi like this.
  11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    xezene , are the colours in your post above supposed to mean something? Just curious if they're supposed to correspond to some sort of feeling. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'd like to add from R1...... (so far)

Favourite : "What will you become?"

Least : "I rebel."

Danifae and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I tried to capture the color palette of each film... and yeah, matching some of them to emotional tones. :p

Valiowk likes this.
  14. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I've always loved the way Darth Vader says "The Emperor"

As for least favourite deliveries of a line... everything Jar Jar says.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know that ANY delivery could have saved that line which is so out of place in SW on so many levels.

ROTS
    PALPATINE: Leave him, or we'll never make it.

ANAKIN: His fate will be the same as ours.

Love the line and delivery. It's just so Vader but a good Vader.

also from ROTS some of the cut dialogue is great:

61 INT. HALLWAY-TRADE FEDERATION CRUISER
    They run down the hallway. Suddenly, ray shields drop around them, putting them in an electronic box in the middle of the hallway.

ANAKIN: Ray shields!

OBI-WAN takes a deep breath to express his total disappointment.

OBI-WAN: Wait a minute, how'd this happen! We're smarter than this.

ANAKIN: Apparently not, Master. This is the oldest trap in the book . . . Well ... I was distracted.

OBI-WAN: Oh, so all of a sudden it's my fault.

ANAKIN: You're the Master. I'm just a hero.

OBI-WAN: I'm open to suggestions here.

PALPATINE: Why don't we let them take us to General Grievous. Perhaps with Count Dooku's demise, we can negotiate our release.

The Jedi look at each other in disbelief.

ANAKIN: I say . . . patience.

OBI-WAN: Patience! That's your plan, is it?

ANAKIN: Yes, Artoo will be along in a few moments and he'll release the ray shields . . .

ARTOO comes skidding across the hallway and bashes into the opposite wall. He takes a moment to compose himself.

ANAKIN: (continuing) See! No problem.

16. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Just TFA for now:

Favourite: "We're not done yet."

Least favourite: 80% of what Fin and Rey say to each other on Jakku. Some of the lines between them could have been written by George Lucas and they were not delivered well.

17. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I love that line, no fear from Poe!! I got a chuckle out of it.

Good thought, almost making fun of Ren.

18. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    "I got a bad feeling about this"....
    Classic Lucas and needs to remain in ALL future SW movies