main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fear, Anger, Hate

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by openmind, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    In TPM Yoda told Anakin: "Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to suffering.

In ESB Vader tells Luke: "You have controlled your fear, now release your anger. Only your Hatred can destroy me".

Was Vader remembering what Yoda told him, years back? :cool:

Discuss.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Nice, I hadn't noticed that. It's a complete perversion of Yoda's instructions. Since Vader believes the Jedi philosophy is inherently weak, it's very appropriate for him to reverse it.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's a complete perversion of Yoda's instructions.

That's an excellent word. Agreed.

Yoda tells Anakin that to distance oneself from the Darkside you have to avoid those inhibitions. While Vader clearly is seducing Luke to exhibit those traits and with that, join the Darkside.

4. Kun-ni_habeo

Kun-ni_habeo Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    very interesying i agree on that one

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    That's a great thing to point out. I'd never thought of it like that. Vader was only stating the truth, and it just so happens to be exactly what Yoda said. If you express your true anger, you will fall to the Dark Side.

6. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    That is a very curious observation, one that I had not conciously made. I do however see how Vader did indeed pervert the Jedi teachings to cause doubt in young Luke, and it is a cunning way to go about it.

When I look at my RPing in the RPF I notice much of the same tactics, I am always looking for ways to twist the meaning of what the Jedi players believe in to cause doubt, stir anger, and taunt them to lash out. A Sith is not above twisting words and bending truths to gain a foothold, and IMHO not being bound to traditional concepts of "honor" is one of the Siths greatest strenghts.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Nice observation.
    I never really looked at it that way.

Anakin was annoyed with the comment back when he was a nine year old. Then after his transformation and journey into the dark, I'm sure he looks at everything Yoda had said as untrue. Vader had a general hatred toward Jedi dogma, and that is evident in all six films.

Good catch,
    Seldon

8. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    The funny thing about it is both comments are extremes, and both are eventually wrong. This is in line with the old ways of the Jedi and the ways of the sith playing into the darkside. the solutions lies in the confrontion with the fears, and not succumb, as Luke succesfully does at the end in ROTJ.

9. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I love the scene when Luke finally does realize he confronted, and defeated his fear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.