main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic Fleet Junkie Embasy

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ton_G, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Random people? Me nooo...never. I'm not random...but I think someone is...who is the RANDOM person?

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Who is more random? THe random person, or the person who randomly replies to him? :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

3. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh, definitely the random replier.
    :D

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Good then. :D

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

5. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Here's a random quote for you:
    "YES! That is AWESOME!"

6. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    WOW, RANDOMNESS!!!!!!!

Wish I could figure out a cool ship to bring to the party. Any suggestions?

Hey, could I have the Errant Venture?

The Cleric 007

7. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Okay This Thread is now the "PETITION TO WOTC FOR NEW REPUBLIC MILITARY SOURCEBOOK" thread, please do not interfere with this, as it is a serious attempt. Thank you!

8. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, here is the Petition so far:

New Republic Military Sourcebook Petition to Wizards of the Coast.

We, the members of TheForce.net?s forums and costumers of your Star Wars RPG products, especially sourcebooks, feel that there is a great quantity of material that has been overlooked, and which would serve as an excellent component of a sourcebook, especially one concerning the New Republic?s Starfleet. While works such as the Starships of the Galaxy have been greatly appreciated, it is a general consensus that an incredible amount of information of the New Republic?s military has been left uncovered, and that which has been covered is inconsistent. We feel that a reorganization of this material would be greatly appreciated by all who sign this petition, along with many more. Much work has been done on this very subject for over half a year by the members of TheForce.net?s forums, and much of this material, we believe could serve as the basis for an excellent sourcebook. Unfortunately the overall lack of detail of much of the content of the New Jedi Order series has left many wanting answers to several problems? We know very little of the Hapan Fleet (especially since the introduction of new Turbolaser technology), The Imperial Remnant Fleet, and the statistics of ships such as the Widowmaker or many other vessels. Vessels which we would like to be considered for coverage include:

New Republic Starfleet
    Ranger Class Gunships
    Heavy Mon Calamari Cruisers
    Strident Class Star Defenders
    Viscount Class Star Defenders
    Republic Class Cruisers
    Republic Class Star Destroyers
    ?Mon Mothma? Star Destroyers
    Rejuvenator Class Star Destroyers
    Anonymous Destroyers perhaps 1 or 2 entries
    Anonymous Cruisers 2 or 3 entries
    Mon Calamari Light Cruisers
    Corona Class Frigates
    Mon Calamari Frigates
    Other Bothan Capital Ships, 2 or 3 entries
    Nebula Class Star Destroyer
    Mediator Class Battlecruiser
    Proficient Light Cruiser

Miscellaneous Vessel Classes
    Widowmaker
    Chiss Vessels
    New Hapan Vessels or Updated Vessels
    Bakuran Vessels

A very practical component of a sourcebook of this kind would be chart of ship Types (Cruisers, Frigates, Heavy Frigates, etc.) and what is required to be of a certain ship type.

Signed,
    Luke V. Togni

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ton:

First, we are "consumers", not costumers. :)

Secondly, while I support this petition wholeheartedly, I really think it would stand a better chance if we did not make it sound as if we want them to include our info in any new sourcebook. I would change part of the petition to the following:

Much work has been done on this very subject for over half a year by the members of TheForce.net?s forums, as we have done our best to compile all available information on these capital ships. Our goal has been simple- we work together to help clear up and discuss the many new warships from the NJO as well as any contradictions from previous Expanded Universe novels.

If you include this, it sounds less like a sales pitch and more like a actual expression of our hard work. :)

Hope this helps.

--Adm. Nick

10. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Ok the current edited version, though incomplete.

New Republic Military Sourcebook Petition to Wizards of the Coast.

We, the members of TheForce.net?s forums and consumers of your Star Wars RPG products, especially sourcebooks, feel that there is a great quantity of material that has been overlooked, and which would serve as an excellent component of a sourcebook, especially one concerning the New Republic?s Starfleet. While works such as the Starships of the Galaxy have been greatly appreciated, it is a general consensus that an incredible amount of information of the New Republic?s military has been left uncovered, and that which has been covered is inconsistent. We feel that a reorganization of this material would be greatly appreciated by all who sign this petition, along with many more. Unfortunately the overall lack of detail of much of the content concerning Starships of the New Jedi Order series has left many wanting answers to several problems? We know very little of the Hapan Fleet (especially since the introduction of new Turbolaser technology), The Imperial Remnant Fleet, and the statistics of ships such as the Widowmaker or many other vessels. Certain members of the TheForce.net forums, including myself have compiled much information regarding the subject, as well a creating conjectural data for blind spots, and for erasing continuity loopholes.

Signed,
    Luke V. Togni

Well, I think it is an improvement.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I would still include a list of warships that have been grossly overlooked. Such a list could be useful for the people at WotC, whether they create a new SB or not.

12. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Yes, that is true, but I think we should create list first:

Ranger Class Gunships
    Mon Calamari Cruiser (Non Star Cruiser)
    Strident Class Star Defenders
    Viscount Class Star Defenders
    Republic Class Cruisers
    Republic Class Star Destroyers
    ?Mon Mothma? Star Destroyers
    Anonymous Destroyers perhaps 1 or 2 entries (REC, MC (the MC40 was considered a DD by some)
    Anonymous Cruisers 2 or 3 entries
    Mon Calamari Light Cruisers
    Corona Class Frigates
    Mon Calamari Frigates
    Other Bothan Capital Ships, 2 or 3 entries
    Mediator Class Battlecruiser
    Proficient Light Cruiser

well the list so far... But "what is the fleet strucure" and "what are the kinds of vessels?", are questions which should also be answered

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ton:

I would leave these two off the list:

Mon Calamari Cruiser (Non Star Cruiser)

The fact is, there is no such thing as a " Non Star Cruiser". As for the Heavy Mon Cal cruiser, odds are it is just a MC-90 or better. I would create a list that includes those ships that we truly know exist.

Heres what I have so far:

Mediator class battlecruiser
    Viscount class Star Defender
    Bothan Assault cruiser
    Defender class Star Destroyer
    Proficient Light Cruiser
    Mon Mothma type Star Destroyers
    Ranger gunship
    Republic class cruiser

Ships like the Corona and others can be left off because they have already been covered in other sourcebooks.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

14. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    I see your point, but don't think that all cruisers are Star Cruisers, saving the title for more expensive, advanced command vessels. Then again this is about what we know and not what we think. I think that some ships that have already been vered, should be includedm to create a compreensive guide. Here is my basic fleet organization chart:

Fleet Organization

Corvette- One of the smallest capital type vessels. A support vessel used for supporting the larger capital ships.

Gunship- A more heavily armed small capital vessel than the corvette, more for harrying the enemy than actually supporting larger vessels.

Frigate- Larger support vessels, and are able to act with a greater degree of independence than corvettes. Divided into sub-categories:

? Light Frigate: The smallest frigate type warship, similar to a heavy corvette but possesses more firepower or potential room for docked vessesl.

? Frigate: The standard size and ability frigate, Acts mainly as a support vessel, but can command small task forces when the time is needed. Often has small carrying capacity for a squadron or two of fighters or small soldier regiments.

? Heavy Frigate: A potent warship on it?s own, still designed as support ship, this vessel can hold it?s own just as easily a it supports larger vessels.

Destroyers- Designed to act as independent small warships, destroyers are generally larger than heavy frigates and are not designed as support craft. Rather they are fast, firepower centric vessels, which better suited to attack than defense.

? Destroyer: This is the average destroyer, generally larger than the heavy frigate, the ships lack command abilities that some frigates posses however. They are quick and and able to unleash a respectable amount of firepower for their size, however there defensive abilities are somewhat lacking.

? Heavy Destroyer: This type of capital ship overlaps partially with the Light Cruiser in terms or size. Where a light cruiser is a well rounded vessel. The heavy destroyer is similar to the assault cruiser type in it function, though it it lack the command or carrying abilities. Heavy destroyers can firepower comparable to that of light cruiser type vessels.

Cruisers- Cruisers are the backbone of any fleet providing a combination of command, firepower, defensive and carrying abilities. The range in size from just under a kilometer to multi-kilometer behemoths.

? Cruisers: Cruisers are large, powerful command vessels in a fleet, leading task forces directing smaller vessels. Cruisers are well rounded vessels with a balanced amount of firepower, defensive abilities and speed. They generally outgun all vessels smaller than them save for the assault cruiser.

? Light Cruisers: Essentially the same design philosophy of the cruiser, only smaller and therefore lower firepower and defensive abilities (but the same ratio of ability to size) , though they are lost costly and easier to build.

? Assault Cruisers: Assaults cruisers, similar in size to light cruisers, they sacrifice much of their defensive capability for firepower. Found in many of the reactive fleets, they are the often heavy hitting component, along with destroyers, in average sized fleets. They are philosophical older sibling of the destroyer, differing in their carrying abiltities and magnitude.

? Heavy Cruisers: These vessels possess similar command and carrying abilities of the cruiser, only they are larger, carrying more or stronger weapons and thicker armour, these vessels often command battlegroups and serve as key vessels in any operation.

? Battle Cruiser: Large, powerful and absolutely designed to be deadly. Possessing capabilities beyond that of heavy cruisers, besides battleships, battle cruisers are the ultimate fleet command vessel. In comparison to a battleship, they would appear faster and lightly amoured, however when compared to smaller ships they appear to be a super-heavy cruiser with the ability to keep up with the other large ships of the fleet.

Battleships- The absolute largest starships (be

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You have to understand that while that may be your personal view, we must present WotC with only that which we know is canon or factual. If we start sending them all of our hypothesies, odds are they will just send us a nice reply.

You see, I have worked on many petitions and the like over my life. My personal experience has been that the most sucessful petition has the least amount of "fluff".

The petition itself is well worded and well crafted, but I would seriously refrain from sending WotC a large list of classifications or warships.

The most we should send them is a list of a few notable warships (Mediator, Viscount, Rejueventator, etc) that they should include in any future SB. Besides, if they value our work, they may then in turn request that we send them all of our information.

Our goal should be to present as proffesional a petition as possible. If we can do this, our chances of sucess greatly increase.

16. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Yes, I agree...however, do you think we should offer ourselves as editors? Probably wouldn't go through. But if we can get a response that would be good enough. (But another note...do you think my chart makes sense?). However we must also provide evidence a that there is enough material to fill a sourcebook.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    We definately should not offer orselves as editors. They would probably think we were after a job.

As to your chart, it makes good sense. However, I don't think that it should be sent. Our goal to to send a petition with as many sigs as possible. Obviously we should include several examples of ships that they need to cover, but we should stop there.

If we over do it, they may be less receptive to our petition.

18. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Agreed, send the shot with the most accuracy and hope for the biggest bang!

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well put.

If we have enough "ammo" for one volley, it makes more sense to direct all the fire at one point, instead of firing randomly across the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.