main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Game ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by El Kabong, May 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Greetings -

Here's a idea/thread/request that you guys may have seen before, but I'm shooting for max exposure here. . .

I've got the idea for an E1 era game, where a bunch of Padawans follow a Raiders of the Lost Ark like story (actually it's more like Last Crusade than raiders), and eventually recover this . . .um, artifact - more on that in a second.

To follow up the idea, I need some Tales of the Jedi era games. Now, since I've never really played that time frame, I'm a bit rusty for idea, and turn to you guys. Any help? Any good story arcs you've used on your characters? Anything you care to share?

Any and all ideas would be great.

2. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    Here's just WHY I need some TotJ ideas. . .

The Crystal Odeum

History:
    Much like The Lost Treasures of Xim, or Volda, the Planet Of Gold, the legends and myths surrounding the Crystal Odeum are thick and pleantyful indeed, obscuring whatever truths are to be had. However, unlike the other mythical treasures mentioned - the Crystal Odeum was very real.

Its origins begin approximately eight thousand years ago, with a Jedi named Mal Jinn Taal, during the era known as the ancient republic. Jedi Tal was a renowned master craftsman, skilled at working with crystal. He was only a moderate Jedi, but a first rate artist.

It was just after the great Battle of the Outlaw Star, where no less than 75 Jedi Knights were slain. Mal Jinn Taal was distraught and disheartened at the terrible loss. Friends, companions, lovers - all gone forever. Although there is no death in the Force, there is still a sense of loss to the beings of crude matter left behind. Jedi Taal vowed that it would never happen again, and set about his greatest - and most ambitious project - the Crystal Odeum.

It's known by many names The Vault of Memories, The Crystal Eye, Shol'Omen - but in the end, they all mean the same thing - a veritable wonder of the galaxy.

The Odeum is a simple structure on a mid rim world long since lost to the mists of time. It's a simple excavation, deep inside a moderate sized mesa, surrounded by harsh desert. The complex, in the most basic terms is part holochron, part archive, part holographic projector - all governed by what can only be termed as an extremely advanced AI program - although such a term is only vaguely appropriate. The true nature of how the Odeum functions are not fully understood.

The construction of the Odeum took nearly the remainder of Mal Jinn Taal's life to complete. Alone, he worked, fashioning the cavern, it's subsystems, the entranceway - all ornately done by his hand. The labor of love went on for decades in solitude, with only the occasional visitor. Then, as the last crystal shard was placed, Jedi Tall was contented. He emerged, calmly sat by the entrance, and became one with the Force.

For several thousand years, other Jedi traveled to the site, contributing what knowledge they could. Offerings of historical events, friends and loved ones, random thoughts - all this and more were contributed to the Odeum. Scholars and other non-Jedi, working in conjunction with the Jedi Order, were eventually also allowed to contribute and seek knowledge. In time, the Odeum truly became a nexus of wisdom in the galaxy.

Sadly, this grand wonder was lost in an unprecedented - and unexpected catastrophe. The planet, whose name has long been forgotten, was struck by a planet-shaping event - an asteroid upwards of 70 kilometers across impacted with the globe. The devastation was instant and immediate. A firestorm raged across the surface of the planet exterminating nearly all life. Debris and dust clouded the sky for a thousand years, forcing the temperature well below freezing. Few beings were caught in the devastation, fortunately. However, as the world became less and less habitable, the structure was forgotten. The silent and dead world slowly spun in it's orbit while the galaxy moved on with it's life. Eventually, the world passed from memory and into legend.

Nature, on the other hand is more resilient than most beings give it credit for. In the silence of the next several thousand years, life slowly returned to the devastated planet. Even more amazing, the Cavern survived intact - buried, but functional. This was mainly due to the underground nature of the structure and the happenstance of its placement - shielded by a natural canyon in a rugged mountain range. If such a thing is possible, the Force was truly with this building.

Modern history:
    In the years just before the rise of the Empire, the Odeum came to light once again. Shortly before the Naboo crisis, a group of Padawans was forced out of hyperspace by the gravity shadow of the lost world. Upon

3. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Two questions:

1) How long have you been working on that?

2) Why the heck can't I be living in the same city as the guy who can come up with such cool ideas for RPing?!?

Gee... ideas for TotJ era...

Well, I don't really have any ideas for actual adventures, but I do think I have a semi-convincing way to get them there without too many eyebrows raised...

Awright, a good friend of theirs, perhaps an NPC padawan who's been training along with them at the time and who has gone on adventures with them, suddenly collapses to the floor. He's in what seems to be a coma, none of the Jedi healers can do anything for him. A few days later, he wakes, seemingly normal. However, the first chance he gets, he steals a ship and takes off for parts unknown. As his friends, your guys would probably ask for permission to go after him, using the Force to follow his hyperspace trail. He leads them to the planet, where he is found feverishly cavorting around an entrance to a cave....

Too contrived?

4. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    With the Odeum, how would you actually tie it into an adventure. Sure it's a cool toy, but more is needed for a full game.

5. El Kabong

Sep 28, 1999
    Well, like I said finding the Odeum is the climax of a Raiders of the Lost Ark kind of game. The players start out with a long lost Jedi temple on extreme lower levels of Coruscant. There they find the star charts with the planet's location and have to beat the bad guys there. Throw in a truck chase on the planet, a gun fight with the bad guys - and let 'em find the Odeum.

Of course, that's the short version of what I have in mind - but you get the idea.

6. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Cool, I ran a Raiders style game, it was great, one of the players had already been playing an archaeologist, he finally got to use all his massive archaeology skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.