main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games staff. A big welcome to...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
  2. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    BTW, who is the Games staff? I see they're still missing some games on thier list.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What are we acting like now? Really, please tell.

Like very, very rude people.

You said:
    "As you will be aware we are building closer ties between the forum and the /games/ section."

Then you said:
    "As well you know staffing decisions have nothing to do with the Games Forum."

Ummm, am I the only one missing something here?

It would appear so. Let me say this again.

TFn staff appointments are done independently of the JC forums. Your contributions to the forums have no bearing on whether or not you are considered for staffing jobs. Do you understand that bit?

Good.

Part 2. The TFn staff and I have been working together to more closely tie theforce.net/games with the games forum. You can see this with our reciprocal links, The "Your Say" being directed to the forum, the design competition and now the Mod creation & hosting idea. This "closer tie" business has absolutely NOTHING to do with who is appointed to TFn staff.

Do you understand now?

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, why didn't you say that in the first place?

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    :mad: because I expect people who read messageboards to have some level of reading comprehension.

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    How nice of you. Evidently someone's not happy that we aren't in love with the new staffer. [face_plain]

~Sithman~

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Yes, I believe [face_plain] reflects all our moods.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I don't care whether you approve or not. I'm just dismayed at the rudeness shown in this (and AA's DANE) thread.

Has anyone in this forum ever had a say as to who gets on to TFn staff? No.

So how about you all just get over it and wait and see what kind of job Night does before you moan any further.

That is all for now.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    How do you choose staff additions? If it has nothing to do with the forums, do they just e-mail some random address and hire whoever replies?

Beats me. PM Joshua Griffen. I dare say they look for people with web & graphic design skills.

10. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Congrats Night...

11. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey, I dunno why people are so upset. We never get a say in who gets modded either, but no one pitches hissy fits when epople are modded.

I think Night is a good choice. I used to tlak to him now and then, he seems like a good guy with a lot of interest in bettering the JC.

But what does TFN Games staff member DO?

12. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    A staff member posts news on the main page, writes reviews up for TFN, etc. They run the TFN Games section.

And I've talked to Night a few times and I've played some Jedi Outcast with him. All around good guy. I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job on staff.

And Conn, the thing is this: although we may not be able to choose who is moderating the forums, people who moderate a specific forum are usually respected members of that forum already. jp in Games for example. You won't see me go over and be the Literature moderator, and you won't see The Gatherer or Darth Ludicrous or Gandolf the Grey come over here and moderate Games. It is logical (look what happened when Bane stuck his nose in here - it wasn't fruitful for either party). The Gamers in this thread used the same logic when considering the Games staff position, since it is closely linked to the forum. We don't feel that Night is "one of the guys" as much as other people, but I suppose the same logic does not apply to staffers.

But I digress. Once again, congrats to Night.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    See the theforce/net games section? It didn't appear by magic.

There are two roles, I believe (though mark or Night may wish to fill in the blanks).

They write news stories and they write content for the games section, plus they design the games section and keep it current. The position requires writing skills, plus graphic design skills and technical/web skills.

14. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    they design the games section and keep it current.

Seems like they aren't keeping things too current if they don't have some NES and N64 games listed. ;)

15. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I had a thought that this was going to come out like this (the accusations, not the welcome thread :p)

First off, thanks to everyone who welcomed or congraudlated me. :)

In any event let me clear up a few things:

Here's how I became staff.

I talked to PB a looooong time ago (under the known-sock Night, i was banned in Mafia) about a banner having nothing to do with games. In a bit i mentioned to him that the games page had no <title>. He said, i know, and i'm sick of the entire section, i'm going to redo it completely. I didn't reply, cause hey, it's PB i don't use unnessesary words cause i'm in the middling ground and don't want to get bumped onto the "suck list" or whatever but I think "great!".

Many moons later.
    I hear PreacherBoy is no longer TFN staff. I go "darn". And I wait a bit.

After a brief sabbattical from the boards from anger, I return with a thirst to do something good. I consider a board knowledge database and all sorts of other crappy ideas. And then I remeber. The Games Section. I know it has nothing to do with the boards, but I don't care. I'm going to redo the games section, all on my own!

Here's where the actual staff part comes in. I pm Josh about the possibility of me (this is a quote)

"I'll redeisng (well not redesign but redo) the games section. It will include a slew of new pages with codes and hints and arears for all of that. I will write it with other people in mind since I know i won't be called upon to update is regurally, not being part of the staff. (i mean with comments explaining and everthing). "

he pms me back, we go back and forth a bit, then he says that before I can do html work, he wants me to email him news for a bit so he can get a sense of my writing style. So I do. I didn't intend to be staff or even report news, it just sort of developed that way.

I go on vacation, but before I do, he okays the redesign plan. I exchanged a few ideas with Mark at that point, and he wants to redo it as well, so we start working together on concepts and soforth.

On vacation I work on some pages and such.
    I come back, I tell josh that if i'm redoing the section and emailing news, it would be a lot easier if I could just submit the form directly. He says all right. So around July 15 I start submitting News for TFN Games. My frist story was "Collected Answers on SWG" I submit some more news that week, then go on vacation again. I get back July 27 i think and me and mark continue bouncing concepts and such off each other.

One of his recent emails says, (and I hope you don't mind me reposting this Mark):
    And by the way, nice post there with the Battlegrounds combo, especially the link to the review :) (That was you, wasn't it? I'd email Josh and get them to add your name asap).

I reply:
    As for the combo, it was I. =) Once we start uploading some of my stuff, and i have a thing I can point to and say "I did that" I think I may push Josh to get my name added and maybe make me a VIP on the boards. what do you think?

He replies (was CC-ed to Josh):
    Your an important part of the team, so a VIP is included in the package :) Just buzz the Jedi Council and ask them to update your status. And Josh, can you organise to add Tom's name to the games admin area.

and so I "buzzed" SOTS and soforth. jp already knew about this of course as well.

and here we are.

on the PB note and anyone thinking i'm his replacment:
    i suppose i am, but not in that way. I've talked to PB about this, he knew it before even jp did. He said, and I quote:
    Well, I'm honestly glad that you're happy.

I won't say the rest of the messages regarding why he is no longer staff, he can tell you if he wishes. I know and I think we have an understanding.

random comments I'll address, and I'll address all such if you want me too. I didn't live in the Games Drama, I wasn't

16. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    SC puts differences aside and gives Night a hello hug from Dave Gorman;
    'Although, don't think we're blood brothers or anything,' SC remarks cheekily, clearly showing that he's in direct opposition to Night, He grinned 'I might only be doing a one man job on Spark, but I can still take you guys on any day with my brain full of Gaming Cult, Myth, Trivia and History.'

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    SC, i hate to break your heart, but Adoniah came to me looking for Spark staff, and I told him I couldn't :D

I see where he went after me.

BUH-DUH DA! (you know, that symbol/drush crash thing? oh never mind!)

¤Night

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Interesting post.

You'll probably work out fine, even though I doubt you'll be posting here much more than you used to.

Would I have liked to see others get on the Games staff? Yup. It doesn't even seem like you know a ton about Games in general (I'm talking outside of SW games, since half of Games is about those types), that's one of the weirdest things about you becoming on staff. I've never heard you talk about Games or gaming that much. And since the TFN Games is supposed to relate the forums (50% of which is non-SW) I'm just now quite sure you'll be able to reflect that. I just felt a few of the others here are much more avid gamers and have a much more expansive knowledge of games than you. :)

Yah, of course it's hard to "fit into our group" or whatever you said- this is the JC Games. You decided to be on staff here, you'll have to learn how to fit in too.

~Sithman~

19. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    SC sighs,
    'Darn it,' he says, 'I knew I got in by a pinball fluke.'
    Curses under breath.

That don't mean I'm gonna go easy on you guys, just cos I got in outta a string of bizzare events, does'nt mean I'm not capable for a job. I tell you, you guys are in for a run for your money.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    And since the TFN Games is supposed to relate the forums (50% of which is non-SW)

Utter nonsense. tfn/games is and always will be Star Wars related (with a bit of other Lucasarts product in the mix).

21. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Yay Night.

TF.N Books just got two new staffers recently, Coopra6000 and Nom Anor. They didn't post much in the Literature thread before becoming staff members, but they did come from a respected Literature website (Unofficial NJO Homepage) and were accepted by everyone right away.

So yeah, staffing has nothing to do with posting. If you know games and webmastering and can write fairly well I guess all you have to do is ask. If you're talking bull, they'll find out fast enough. I guess Night wasn't. Sorry Dan. :)

22. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Uh...sithy...Night knows plenty about gaming I'm sure. Why the heck you so down on him?

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Utter nonsense. tfn/games is and always will be Star Wars related (with a bit of other Lucasarts product in the mix)."

Jaepee, did you read my post? I am talking about THE FORUMS. *Not* TFN Games.

~Sithman~

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    No, you're not. [face_plain]

And since the TFN Games is supposed to relate the forums (50% of which is non-SW) I'm just now quite sure you'll be able to reflect that.

To me that says that in your opinion tfn/games is suppost to reflect (relate to) the forums which are ~50% non-SW.

I read your post alright. Did you?

25. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Well I for one don't know you well. From your post though I am impessed and excited to see what you have planed. Here's to getting to know you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.