main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas giving more props to Spielberg, or unconcious copying?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by NeoBaggins, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    In EP1 Lucas inserted E.T. aliens in the senate scene. This was suppose to be a nod to the great Steven Spielberg. Later he bites E.T. again when Ani gets his Pod started, copying Elliots lines "Its working, its working" in the same fashion. Perhaps Jake Lloyd's stiff acting was suppose to be a nod to the robot boy in A.I., I Dunno. But its obvious Lucas has been watching MINORITY REPORT. Lets review the similarities to the AOTC Factory scene with the Minority Report factory scene.

Minority Report. Cruz's character finds himself trying to escape the law inside a car factory.

Clones. Anakin finds himself engaged by the enemy inside a robot factory.

Minority Report. The machines add extra obsticals to an already hectic situation. Mechanical arms doing thier job yet making it hard to manuever.

Clones. The machines add extra obsticals to an already hectic situation. Mechanical arms doing thier job yet making it hard to manuever.

Minority Report. A weapon is produced that doesnt shoot bullets but some wierd sounding wiggly shockwave.

Clones. A weapon is produced that doesnt shoot lasers but some wierd sounding wiggly shockwave.

Minority Report. Cruz's characater makes his way onto a conveyer belt which builds a car around him.

Clones. Anakin makes his way on a conveyer belt which builds, something, around his arm.

Also, aside from the factory there is a scene in Clones where Zams face morph resembles Cruz using a device to alter his identity in Minority Report. Thats a small one but the factory scenes can be played side by side and youl get the same feel.

Thoughts?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Didn't Minority Report come out after AOTC? So wouldn't that mean Spielberg copied Lucas?

3. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Hmm, let's see.

The Phantom Menace: 1999
    A.I.: 2001

Attack of the Clones: May 2002
    Minority Report: June 2002

All though I also thought it was a weird coincidence that both have a factory sequence, that's all it is: a coincidence. There was all ready a factory in the original script, but after principal photography, Lucas and the previs guys discussed having a sequence inside the factory.

Cometgreen

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    a) Yes, the ET think was a wink to one of his best frinds

b) The "It's working" thing could be a conincidence, maybe not.

c) The factory scene is not copying Minority Report

d) Penlopé Cruz, Tom Cruise.

5. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    Even if one copyed the other, Lucas and Spielberg are good friends that they would ask each other if they wanted to use something the other had done in one of their movies.

At least I would think they would.

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I remember hearing somewhere that it was purely coincidental the similarities in the factory sequences. I heard that they both found it kind of humorous because both saw the other's movie in a private advanced screening.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The E.T. aliensare GL giving props.

The line It's working It's working. I'm sorry but E.T. is not the only movie to use a line like that. ;)

8. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "The line It's working It's working. I'm sorry but E.T. is not the only movie to use a line like that." Sigh.

Thanks for your good thoughts. Either way its cool. Im fully aware of Georges relationship with Spielberg and not saying someone was doing something wrong. Its even more interesting to hear that it was coincidental. Wow, they are strikingly similar.

Does anyone notice that the special effects and cgi in Spielberg films have a look totally different from other films. Does he use a team other than ILM? It would be strange being that thier friends and its Lucas company and they do 99.9% of effects for ALL movies. Anyone know?

9. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I am not sure who Spielberg uses in all of his movies, but he has used ILM in the past: ET, Jurassic Park, and some others.

10. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I believe he uses ILM for all his movies. Indy movies(watch the behind the scenes features), JP, E.T., Minority report, Close Encounters, And so on.

11. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, they are just friends that use each other, me and my best friend dream of some day doing that on a big scale like GL and SS.

12. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    George didn't really take much from Minority Report, but he did copy off a hundred other movies.

George took the pod race sequence shot for shot from "GRAND PRIX (1976)", the Naboo Celebration from "Dinotopia", the Genosian bugs hanging on the walls from "Aliens", the Coruscant Chase from "The Fifth Element", the Geonsian Arena from "Gladiator", the waves on Kamino from "The Perfect Storm", Anakin entering the Tusken Camp from "The Searchers", the Naboo plains from "The Sound of Music", Jabba's guard from "The Wizard of Oz", most of ANH from "The Hidden Fortress".....it goes on and on....

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I rather enjoy all the little film references in Attack of the Clones, but I think with the factory scene, it was just a coincidence. I think the Kamineons (spelt wrong!) were intended to be a reference to the advanced mechas in A.I, though.

14. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    I got more of a close encounters alien from the Kimino people. The standard grey alien but done up a little. Even the Kamino structures resemble flying saucers.

The Matrix has feasted on starwars also but more than i realized at first. In reloaded they dock thier ship in a scene that looks like the falcon landing in echo base. Then, the characters, morph,trin,nee,and link come down the ramp and position themselves as if it were Liea, Luke, Han, and chewbacca. Link being the chewbacca. Later the film would pay due (at first i thought mock) to Daredevil: schoolyard martialarts battle with an almost identical style of school ground and color scheme.

MissionImpossible2: When smith arrives, the crows are flying all around his entrance. Cruz makes an entrance and there are doves flying everywhere.

Revolution went shamelessly into the STARWARS bag with rapid laser fire and at one point practically lifts the STARWARS theme note for note then it suddenly tales of into an oiginal score. Iv viewed the scene repeatedly and there is no mistaking the intent and on purpose score. It plays while they are having a laser shootout in the mech suits. Check it out, i know im not the only one with a revolutions dvd.

Flattery or blastfame. We decide.

15. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Dinotopia came out after TPM too ;)

Neobaggins!!! Tom Cruise!!! Cruise!

As far as I know, Penelope Cruz was not in M:I-2.

16. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    The ships used in Minority Report always reminded me of Slave I.

17. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Minority is more copying AOTC.

18. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "Dinotopia came out after TPM too"

While George was doing the final touches on the ending of TPM, he was given a tour of the production of "Dinotopia" by the director. George saw the final shots of "Dinotopia" which he then used for TPM. The director of "Dinotopia" went on record and said that he was shocked to see his ending being used.

George does make homages to OLD CLASSICS but I see a lot of what he does as stealing.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    George took the pod race sequence shot for shot from "GRAND PRIX (1976)"

Can you show proof of this?

the Naboo Celebration from "Dinotopia"

More like it came form ANH.

the Genosian bugs hanging on the walls from "Aliens"

Like no other movie has ever done that?

the Coruscant Chase from "The Fifth Element"

Yeah sure.

the Geonsian Arena from "Gladiator"

What? ?[face_plain] Other movies used scense like that long before Galdiator ever came out.

the waves on Kamino from "The Perfect Storm"

Sure it did. [face_plain]

Anakin entering the Tusken Camp from "The Searchers" This one I agree with.

the Naboo plains from "The Sound of Music"

What is wrong with that?

Jabba's guard from "The Wizard of Oz"

If you say so.

most of ANH from "The Hidden Fortress"

I hear this one time and again. But I'm sorry to say there are more thing that are different then the same between the movies.

20. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    I believe the 'sound of music' bite was not to be hidden or subconcious. It is a direct copy and i dont think Lucas was trying to hide it. I like it. The Gladiator thing is also a bite but a noble and respectable one. The other similarities listed up there is just proof that you can say anything is like something. Why 5th element when george is oldschool and could have been biting off BLADERUNNER. The ad billboards and allies says it all. For me.

Other coinkydinks is just nitpicking like if someone drinks a glass of water while wearing a red shirt and another movie has that, its biting.

21. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    "the waves on Kamino from "The Perfect Storm""

I thought the waves from the perfect storm were copied from real life. So the perfect storm was biting nature, and AOTC was biting the perfect storm.

22. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    Lol, zactly.

You know, this thread is ironic in regards to the new battlestar galactica return to cable. Once upon a time they were sued by Lucasfilm for a host of ripoffs. Will they bite the PT now?

23. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    actually, the scene with the factory in ATOC was added late into post-production--meaning it was conceived and shot after Minority Report was filmed! So it is possible that Lucas was inspired by Speilberg's film after all, especially seeing as the two would be talking about the films...

could still be just a coincidence though.

24. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Zombie: As I said above, all though the scene was done in post photography, the factory was in the original script and shoots. I think it was more like natural progression than stealing or subconscious influence. George wanted an action sequence, he saw the factory painting, and bang! Mario Anakin was born. ;)

Cometgreen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.