main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas Museum Approved for Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darkslayer, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    He hates Los Angeles. :(

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Shoulda been Chicago. :(

If it hadnt been for Friends of the Parks protecting a parking lot, they'd have had it too. Lucas just didn't want to fight a drawn out legal battle over a flat of concrete. Friends of the Parks is an organization that fights against development on public spaces like parkland and the lake front. Typically they focus on the lake front more than the inland parks. I used to really respect them. Lucas was even willing to work with them and redesigned the museum to be shorter and built underground more. Friends of the Parks still refused to drop the lawsuit to prevent the development, so Lucas went to California. Couldn't find a spot to put it in San Francisco (water front property was a must, and San Francisco doesn't have much that's undeveloped), so he chose LA. Chicago was his first choice because his wife is from there.

J7Luke and SlashMan like this.
  4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I hate Chicago!

;)

Gerald's Game and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess they had to make some concessions to make it happen. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see it. :)

6. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Can't say I enjoy visiting LA, but for this I will be making an exception.

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

CT1138 and Darth Dnej like this.
  9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    What can't they have it closer to DC? :(

TK327 likes this.
  10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Well, I guess I won't be going there any time soon.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ugh, I'm still pretty angry about it falling through in Chicago; where I could actually have gone to see it.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and CT1138 like this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So we have a possible design for the museum. Looks very familiar if you ask me. [face_thinking]
    [​IMG]

Lt. Hija likes this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm not so sure putting a nerd-centric George Lucas museum next to an NFL Football stadium in Inglewood Ca is the best place for it. This seems like the kind of museum you'd want to be a bit out of the way, like somewhere in the Central Coast or something.

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-oks-plans-for-george-lucas-museum/103239870/
    Taking the relevant parts

Gerald's Game likes this.
  15. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    To me, if you are going to make a building that grande it would be better to put it on a large plot of land where you can appreciate it. Not crowded in amongst a bunch of other structures. Have it on a nice open grassy area with some water features and maybe a lake somewhere nearby. I do like that it is surrounded by trees though; a park like setting. So that is something.

Lt. Hija and Resic like this.
  16. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Awesome !!

But after that project I want some movies George !

17. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

^^This.

18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Exactly. And you would find exactly that no more than a couple of hours north of Los Angeles. Really quiet, quaint, and peaceful area for a museum like this to go.

As it is, I guess that isn't Inglewood, but a little north of it in downtown. Still though, not much better. About the trees and whatnot, keep in mind that is an illustration of what it could potentially look like. It's still smack in the center of the most smog-filled, traffic ridden, congested, areas in Los Angeles.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Pretty sure GL said he won't show his experimental movies to anybody beside his friends. Guess that's what years of constant criticisms and love/hate relationship with the fans do to a person.

Count Yubnub and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  20. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Finally! Good news to see progress moving forward on this project.

It's a shame that San Fransisco, and then later Chicago, did not approve the museum, as Lucas preferred those locations over LA, but at least the museum now has a home.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Glad this finally has a home. Like others, I really wish it was going to be in Chicago. Setting aside the fact I could actually get to Chicago easier than LA, the location & design were much better for Chicago.

[​IMG]

Jedi Daniel, CT1138 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  22. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    San Fransisco would have been ideal, of course, but that ship has long since sailed. I for one am ambivalent towards Los Angeles only slightly lesser than Chicago simply because I live closer to the former, here in Northern California. Still, if not the Bay Area, Seattle, maybe? Portland? Two big towns with a good deal of culture.

L.A. is just maybe good enough for the Howard the Duck museum.

[​IMG]

Count Yubnub and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Whether he likes Los Angeles or not , its good that he will be leaving behind more of his imagination

24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He has consistently stated that making small experimental films is what he's always really wanted to do, though. Which is fine. But I always found it odd that he felt the need to tell us that in interviews.

It's not like he NEVER had the opportunity over the past forty years to do that. As of 1980 he was completely independent from Hollywood, which was his aim and the thing that was going to let him do what he really wanted to do.

So he can't be that bothered about the criticism. And if he was bothered about criticism then he would never have made Star Wars in the first place.

25. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I mentioned criticisms because he mentioned it, and that he felt he couldn't experiment because he had to everything a certain way, that it wasn't fun for him and he didn't like it so the idea was to go back to experimental movies that nobody wants to see.
    Anyway, beside all that it's really interesting there's going to be things about Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I love that movie.