main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas: on 'Force Awakens': It's like a "break up" ; Disney "not keen" on George involvement

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ucdex, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Who knows if he's even shooting anything or plans to. And besides, he will end up doing more interviews whenever his museum is built, if it ever happens.

2. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    exactly right

Darth Caliban, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The museum is happening and received the go ahead. They just have to build it. But, the Lucas museum will/is happening.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Strictly as a film, Flash Gordon is terrible; Krull is terrible. I happen to have a soft spot for both. I'm just not blind to what they are, any more than you are to what Cloud Atlas is. Liking any of those films and NOT knowing they objectively have great flaws, however - that'd be the misstep.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    What makes an experimental film an experiment if no one sees it? I'm serious here.

6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    GL: "You just never know on these things. I did a More American Graffiti; it made ten cents. Just failed miserably."

I would say all his SE changes qualify as him being self-critical as well. But yeah, he could do with a little more humility.

Ironically I personally love a lot of MAG, Toad and Big John's storylines in particular are awesome to me.

7. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I would love to know Georges unfiltered opinion of TFA.

Yes the film has been well received. I attribute most of that to it being entertaining, fast-paced, humorous, and nostalgic.

I am critical of it because I think it makes you turn your brain off, the plot is all over the place and it barely makes any sense when I exert maximum effort to be forgiving to it, and it seems to me to break rules such as using the darkside to read peoples minds as an interrogation technique. I think the film needs a macguffin so they came up with "a map to Luke Skywalker" which is all the info we are given initially but seems ridiculous on so many levels. The crawl says the bad guys want the map to destroy Luke while later it is revealed they don't care about finding Luke as much as preventing the good guys from finding him (Snoke makes it clear destroying the map is just as good). This all seems pretty insignificant compared to the fact that Starkiller base exists yet the illogical macguffin is given plot precedence. The movie moves from place to place because it wants to go there and the reasons given for doing so are weak. I mean Poe basically Story Warps from disappearing on Jaku to just showing up as soon as they can move the story from escape to going somewhere for a weak reason and giving his team a call (from a spy). All other Starwars movies made more logical sense than this one and I find it amazing how willingly these flaws are over looked and forgiven.

I find it more entertaining, fast-paced, humorous, and nostalgic than the prequels but the prequels made more sense to me....they were better crafted stories while TFA is a better crafted block-buster film.

8. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

The "experimental films" he's been talking about for years are the same thing as the guy who's looking forward to writing "the great American novel" when he retires. ...or maybe Vines.

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Maybe that's the experiment :)

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Have - I also love Krull even though I know it's awful :)

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

lol.

The great unseen experiment!

Drawing no crowds across the nation!

Don't see it now!

Darth Caliban, TK327 and Darth__Lobot like this.
  12. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Very avant garde. It's like cinematic Schrodinger's Cat. The ultimate Sci fi from the mind of Lucas. Or maybe not.

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It'd have to be the boldest experiment in art since John Cage's 4'33...

Artoo-Dion , Darth__Lobot and ShaneP like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    lol.

I made these films. They do exist. Well, they exist to me but release them to the public and poof gone. They never did exist and I'm not sure why you would think they ever did.

Darth Caliban, Darth__Lobot and TK327 like this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Hahaha!

George: "Non-filmology disallows me to not screen this film. The blank screen can be filled in by the audiences own imaginations. The soundtrack is composed of munching popcorn, squeaking shoes, and rocking chairs back and forth. It is a urban soundtrack for the masses."

16. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    AOTC made more sense to you?

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As I like to say in sports arguments: meaningless stats.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  18. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    What would be meaningful, then? Can we not draw any conclusions about anything then? Is everything purely relative?

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Stats are more objective measurements than individual opinions. In fact, they're far more valid.

DrDre and Darth Downunder like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    If this movie gets an Oscar then all of Lucas's criticisms of the Oscars will be vindicated.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  21. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    With Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB I don't put a ton of validity into the actual numbers. What you can put some validity into is how the numbers for different movies compare to each other since the same measurement technique is used.

Artoo-Dion and TK327 like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Reported for baiting.

23. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Oh please - this is just sour grapes.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

If that is what is called baiting, then I can give you a whole host of yours and others posts where you state your opinion as fact repeatedly.

So go ahead...

okay. reported.

25. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Why should he release them? This thread is proof that - as he says - no one is interested. JD Salinger stopped publishing for the same reasons. He released a story in an unfinished sequence, the "fans" and critics went ape**** that it wasn't "Catcher In the Rye" 2.0, so he kept writing and stopped publishing. And what does he need to hear this for? "Interesting departure for Lucas, shows promise but it's not what I - or most moviegoers - want from the movie." Wow! That was worth sinking tons of money into distribution, doing press/promotion etc. for! Like he needs the lame feedback he'd get. I wish he'd change his mind so his actual fans can see what he makes but that's his call.

S2N2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.