main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost Rider & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, May 23, 2006.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i'm seeing it in 90 minutes! :D

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrrr, lucky! :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw it this evening. Overall, I liked it, but I thought it could have been much better. The visuals are really spectacular- they nail the comic iconic images. However three things hold this movie back- mainly, the three lead actors.

The female lead doesn't have much in way of character, but then I expected that. Still, didn't really have an impact as a viewer.

The actor playing Blackheart was bad- I just can't shake the feeling that if a better calibre actor had been in this role, the movie would have had a better sense of substance- like how Colin Farrell stole the show in Daredevil. There should have been a better actor with some kind of grasp on the audience to make him a more worthy adversary.

And Cage, well, he didn't do a bad job, but I just didn't care about Johnny Blaze- he was tired most of the time and I didn't really start to feel for the character until the final showdown, I just didn't attach myself to him like Matt Murdoch or Frank Castle, didn't find the drive in the character that makes you want to go with him.

That said, Cage also managed to make a lot of scenes work well in ways I don't think another actor could have, so it's a mixed bag. Of the three, Cage at least shows signs here that he could go places with the character in subsequent films.

As expected, Peter Fonda and Sam Elliot own their screentime, and are easily the highlights of the film. I just wish we had someone who could have done the same thing for Blackheart.

Ghost rider himself, however, works really well. The visuals are great, as I already mentioned, and the sounds really help make him creepier. Also some good lines ("You're pissing me off!!") from him, and I really like the use of the Pennace Stare in the plot.

Like the score alot too- love the western vibe to it (and how it's distinct from the western sound of The Punisher's music, which was more "tragic showdown" whereas this is more "riding off across the desert to action!").

So, overall, it's not as good as Daredevil or The Punisher (then again I liked Daredevil and LOVED The Punisher), but it's more entertaining than Fantastic Four, though it lacks the casting and chemistry that were the highlights of that film. But there's certainly enough to work with here for them to get things right in a kickass way in a sequel now that the origin story is outta the way.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I just got back from seeing it myself. While I enjoyed it, it definitely had a cheese factor too it. But I was expecting that. What I wasn't expecting was how gorram long it took for Johnny to actually change into Ghost Rider. It didn't happen until 30-45 mins in. It had the same problem Hulk had. We came to see Ghost Rider, not Johnny Blaze. Some time could have been easily shaved from the beginning I think.

Like T2Q said, Sam Elliot owned the screen. Blackheart's cronies, while cool to look at, all went down like punks way to fast once GR actually started to fight them. And I felt that they way he took down Blackheart was way to predictable.

These complaints aside, the movie was terrific fun. A great popcorn movie with a surprising amount of humor. The look the waiter gave Eva Mendes when she asked "I'm good looking, right?" was priceless. [face_laugh] Probably the highlight of the entire movie going experience was seeing the guy in the theater in a Ghost Rider costume. It was very detailed and basically looked exactly like the costume from the movie. He had a skull mask and everything. The only thing he was missing were the flames.

Overall, I'd give Ghost Rider a 7/10.

5. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I loved it. The whole thing was great. There wasn't a slow or boring part in it, the whole thing was just chock full of kickass.

6. wise-bi-wan

wise-bi-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2006
    Saw it. I think I will compare it to "The Fantastic Four".[face_worried] Hey, theyr'e making a "2". I'm even going to see it. Overall it was entertaining, and Cage did a good job.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Saw it as well. Better than Fantastic Four but not as good as X-Men.

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Over time, I think this movie's going to fall farther and farther from grace for me. Like when I first saw Fantastic Four, I enjoyed it for the most part. But after seeing it again, and realizing how they massacred the character of Dr. Doom, it's now my most hated comic book movie. But this dilemma is different, but gave me the same feeling. Dr. Doom was ruined by bad writing, but the actor who played him has all the skills to pull him off correctly too. The actor who played Blackheart on the otherhand, was awful. He didn't look scary, he didn't act scary, he just played it like "cliche villain #345".

Blackheart from the comics killed Mephistopheles, looks terrifying, and he is one of my favorite villains simply for his "cool factor". And as I told my friends as we went into this film, "If you ruin Blackheart, you ruin the movie." And don't get me started on Wallow, Gressil, and Abigor, they all went down like punks. And while I give credit to the accuracy that was given to this film, I can't help but feel they didn't do it justice. It should have been darker, scarier, I mean we're dealing with demons!

And I have a lot more to say, but I'm out of time. Did I enjoy this movie? I would say I enjoyed enough. Would I recommend it? Maybe as that movie you rent when nothing good is out at the store. Does it deserve a sequel? Everyone deserves a second chance.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Ghost Rider has made an estimated $44.5 million it's opening weekend according to BoxOfficeMojo.com

10. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah, that's crazy. Who knew audiences wanted to see a flaming head bike riding person?

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I'm saying it'll break $100 million and level out around there as well for it's total box office intake

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder if there's any chance GR suffered the same fate as Daredevil, and there's a superior director's cut to be had in the future that has what feels missing from the theatrical cut?

13. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    What's missing is a decent actor.

But seriously, this director has made a Daredevil, Elektra, and Ghost Rider correct? Daredevil went from decent to pretty darn good with the directors cut, but Elektra still sucked. As for Ghost Rider, my beefs with it I think are pretty un-fixable. Bad acting and screwing with certain character aspects.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, no re-edit can replace Blackheart with a good actor, but maybe there's some scenes where he does something of more substance, which would be a minor improvement, though I'd be more interested in the other characters since that could probably be salvaged more.

15. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Fair enough, seeing the villains do some real dastardly evil things might give it a couple notches up. Maybe some more depth with Cage and Mendez's love story. Also I would have liked it if at some point someone would have pointed out the Mephisto is not the devil like the beginning would have had you assume.

And I know there's probably no way it would happen, but it would have been cool if they explained that the Ghost Riders powers come from being possessed by the demon Zarathos.

16. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    the family went and saw it saturday and we loved it. cage was restrained at times maybe he was afraid of being over the top. but he was playing everything he loves, he was a little elvis, a little superman. i agree about blackheart. he wasnt scary enough. who would be scared of him. crap, the token female wasnt even scared of him. she shot him a few times.

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Johnson didn't make Elektra. He's credited as a writer only because he "created" the movie version of her when he wrote Daredevil. He's also listed as one of the Executive Producers but who knows how input he actually put into the movie.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finally got around to seeing it and enjoyed it immensely. Beig unfamiliar with the comic probably helped as Ih ad no preconceived ideas going in.

Just a fun popcorn movie. Cheesy? I bit, but cheese popcorn is a fave! ;P

19. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    MSJ was the one who suggested an Elektra film to the studios because she was kinda cool in the film Daredevil. But he wrote the first draft of Elektra and said he came on set during principal production for a few days.

IMO, he is highly over rated by studios. The man makes nothing but action fluff. GR was pretty lame, the effects were the only thing "great" about this movie. I seriously could go on and on about how many wrongs are in this movie but I won't waste my time again. Not to mention he should have left out the stupid comedy and made it R rated.

Mark Steven Johnson should never be in control of a 120 million budgeted movie again. He is mediocre at best. And he knows that the only thing he can direct is material from a comic book. It's people like him who make up the stereotypical image of Hollywood.

20. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I liked it, but def had some cheesy moments.
    It did have some very cool scenes like the bike in the water scene.
    It's not great enough for me to watch it again tho.

21. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Saw Ghost Rider tonight I have to say I enjoyed it but nothing special apart from the CGI and Sam Elliot I want a movie with the western Ghost Rider because that would rock. I think overall of the smaller Marvel comic book movies Ghost Rider is better then Fantastic Four, The Punisher, Hulk and Daredevil and I'd go see a sequel.

P.S The lead actress can't act.

22. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    The word "preconceived" is thrown around far too often as a catch-all for any reason someone doesnt like a movie, an unfair marginalization of a review you may not agree with. It could be that the movie just REALLY WAS bad. I havent read any Ghost Rider Comics, but I still saw blatantly incompetent screenwriting, stop and start pacing, insufficient backstory, and a complete bellyflop of a climax when Cage elects to keep the GHost Rider powers. This movie was simply not intelligent.

23. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Looks like I'll finally get a chance to see this as Ghost Rider comes out on DVD June 12th.

24. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I'll be picking it up (the extended version). I wasn't blown away by the movie but I liked it enough to buy it. I'm just a sucker for comic movies and I never thought a Ghost Rider film would ever be made. I have a whole shelf just for comic book movies now, there's so many of them.:D

25. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    QFT, Comic movies are just...great.