main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Girls, When you see Anakin turn to Vader...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ForceMaster101, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    will you stop liking Anakin as much?

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Chances are that our very own Dark Lady Mara will end up liking him more....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

3. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I think they will still like him.
    I am a male but I think Vader is what I like to call a hero that is in the middle of two worlds and dont know which path is made for him.

4. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    For one thing, I think it is very sexist to only direct this question to females--as if we were a bunch of hyperactive squealing "gurls" who only like Anakin because he looks like Hayden Christensen.

Anakin Skywalker has been my favorite character since 1983--when he had spent all but five minutes of his screen time as Darth Vader, and when Hayden Christensen was still toddling around in his diapers.

Will I stop liking Anakin so much? No--for the reasons I listed above. I didn't dislike him when he was Vader--why on earth would I dislike him when I see, and understand, what causes him to become Vader?

I have always felt, at least since the end of ESB in 1980, that there was more to Vader than we saw on screen--that there was a complexity there. I could, like Luke, feel "the good, the conflict". Ever since then I have been dying to know what brings him to the point. Lucas said in an interview with Bill Moyers that we will feel more sympathy for Vader after the PT than we did when we originally saw the OT. I think I'll like Anakin as much or more.

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Absolutely. I agree with a_g. This is a bit of a sexist question, implying that we like Anakin only for his looks. I assure you that is not the case.

Anakin becoming Vader is not exactly a surprise to anyone. Part of the reason I like Anakin so much is that I know he will turn evil and that transformation is really fascinating to me. I mean here is someone who *seems* to have everything going for him, but it's an illusion, it's not enough. How can a sweet, lovable boy turn into your typical hero (attractive, talented, loved) and then suddenly turn into this paragon of evil? I mean it's just a fantastic character study.

[Trinity]It's the question that drives us Neo. [/Trinity]

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think Anakin's actual physical incarceration in the Vader suit could garner a lot of sympathy for him.
    When you think about it, the guy is totally screwed up. About as close to death as it's possible to get.

I'm gonna be sad when that trademark black helmet drops into place for the first time...

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I will end up liking him more.

Am I really that predictable? :p

8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Maybe. I am kidding.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    This is a bit of a sexist question, implying that we like Anakin only for his looks.

So what do you like him for then? His charming lack of personality? His wierd stalker behaviour? His genocidal tendencies? :p

10. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Don't even start...

11. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, you are Dark Lady Mara.

Sorry for only directing this question to girls because I kinda know guys will like him more.

12. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Personally, unless GL finds a way to make the "transformation" the most emotional scene in the saga, I know that I will wind up being very excited, rather than sad, to see Anakin turn to Vader.

After all these years, the true iconic figure of the Star Wars saga will be back! :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

13. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Yes, no doubt.

14. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    stinrab:

Calling Anakin a "stalker" is highly offensive and insulting to those of us who have experienced real stalkers.

Oh, so he looked at her...geez...

Let's not forget that when she said "We can't do this," he agreed and then left her alone until she told him she loved him.

My stalker called me six or seven times a day threatening suicide if I wouldn't marry him, threw me against a brick wall, and came after me with a knife--I was forced to hide in a friend's apartment and call the police. Anakin is not a stalker.

You want to know why I like Anakin? He's fun--he enjoys flying podracers and speeders fast, he has a sense of humor (which Obi-Wan pointed out during the Coruscant chase--and Anakin's humor, unlike Obi-Wan's, instead sarcastic and degrading to other people), he has a certain disregard for stupid rules while at the same time paying attention to the important ones, he genuinely wants to do what's best for the galaxy, he's loyal to his mother and to Padme, his heart rules him. I can relate to him--he's a lot like me. I guess I also have a "charming lack of personality". [face_plain]

15. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Yes, he's perfect. Like he was cut right out a cookie cutter which came in the mail attatched to the latest edition of Seventeen. :)

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    lexu:

FYI--the reason I like him is because he's not perfect. Perfect people get on my nerves.

And somehow I don't think Hayden looked like a "cookie cutter model" (or whatever [face_plain] ) in 1983 when I first started liking Anakin Skywalker--Anakin Skywalker, who threw the evil emperor over the reactor shaft to save the son he barely knew.

Now, is this a thread to talk about Anakin turning into Vader or just to crack on Hayden's looks?

17. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Perfect people get on my nerves.

That's discrimination against perfection. I'm deeply insulted.

18. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    If it's done well then I will be very sad to see him turn into Vader. But I don't think I'll like him less. I see Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as two seperate people, when he turns there's little of Anakin left.

19. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I agree that calling Anakin a stalker is highly offensive to those of us who have actually experienced stalkers. Without going into detail, I had one once, and he was NOTHING like Anakin. And unlike Anakin, he wouldn't take no for an answer. Although he was ultimately deported and I never saw him again, I have to say that being stalked was the scariest experience of my life.

Now to the topic. I have always had a thing for Darth Vader. Back in 1977, when all the other girls were swooning over Harrison and Mark, I was swooning over Vader. (Not that Harrison and Mark aren't swoon-worthy.)It's not something I've ever really talked about except on these boards (though my husband knows) because it makes me look like a real sicko weirdo. I have since discovered (again from these boards) that other women feel the same, so perhaps I'm not so weird after all.

I was therefore overjoyed to learn that GL was making prequels and that I would get to see young Vader, pre-suit, as a young man and a viable sex object. The first time I saw Hayden I was thrilled, because he LOOKED just like I had imagined. When I saw AOTC the first time I almost had a heart attack, not only because he's so damn cute but also because I had always imagined Anakin Skywalker to be a mouthy, arrogant punk. Well, he's that, but he's also sensitive, mercurial, and majorly screwed up. I truly, deeply love his character.

Sooo...watching him turn into Vader will be the icing on the cake. It will be heartbreaking, I'm sure, but that is just part of the whole SW experience. I am milking this period between eps 2 and 3 for all it's worth, because come May 2005 it'll all be over, and I'll be left twisting in the wind.

20. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    agree with anakin_girl.

21. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'll like him even more just like Dark Lady Mara. I've always loved Vader.. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    When I saw AOTC the first time I almost had a heart attack, not only because he's so damn cute but also because I had always imagined Anakin Skywalker to be a mouthy, arrogant punk. Well, he's that, but he's also sensitive, mercurial, and majorly screwed up. I truly, deeply love his character.

Amen to that.

And Anakin's turn to Vader isn't going to be a MWHAHAHA kind of turn. It'll be far more ambiguous than that, that's what makes Vader a great villain. Rick McCallum said he was "shocked and saddened" as well as feeling "betrayed" by his fall. In fact the word used most often is "shocked". This from people who know exactly what's going to happen! We will feel pity (and anger, and horror, and sadness) for Anakin, and we will understand that on some level he was *tricked* and can *maybe* be redeemed. And I could give you several quotes to that effect.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was supposed to like Anakin :confused:

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes. According to anyone who's ever had anything to do with SW, you are supposed to like Anakin (pre-Vader). I'm sorry that somehow managed to escape your attention.

25. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Anakin exhibits stalker-esque behaviour, yes. Lets see:

1.) He's obsessed with Padme. He doesn't love her. He's never said he loves her. All he does is say awfully disturbing lines (see: fireplace scene) and give creepy thin-lipped smiles.

2.) He makes Padme uncomfortable. Considerably uncomfortable. She tells him to stop staring at her for that very reason. She shifts uncomfortably in her chair in the fireplace scene and clearly is not impressed with Anakin's attitude or what he's saying.

He may not be similar to any stalking which any person in this forum has unfortunately experienced, but the symptoms are there. Yes, he is noble for eventually leaving Padme alone, but lets not forget this either: he's a brutal, cold-blooded murderer. Not only did he murder the men, women and children of a Tusken settlement, but he also enforced the rule of a dictatorship (which oversaw the enslavement and destruction of planets) and, presumably, contributed substantially to the jedi purge (thereby killing the people who were, essentially, his extended family). Anakin is not a good person and I'm quite puzzled as to why anyone would think otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.