main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Gold and Glory RPG (Non-Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Yomin_Carr, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    "Even the tallest tower begins with the first stone."
    -Hammurabi

Welcome to the Gold and Glory RPG, a non-SW RPG centered around a loose adaptation of the Civilization III computer game. This game is meant to be a historical RPG, but only very loosely. The game will start at the dawn of recorded history, roughly 4000 BC. It will chronicle the birth, growth, struggles, and triumphs of several civilizations.

Turns

Every few days (probably every day at the start of the game), I'll post an update and PM a private update to faction leaders. This will consist of wrenches in plans (disease, barbarian raiders, flooding, etc.), updates about the production in various cities, economic situation, and research completion.

Think of playing in any factionalized game, and you've basically got how this game is going to work. Think of my updates as guiding you, not as anything for anyone besides really high ranking officials to care about. Use anything in the updates as a guide, and then RP however you feel like. Lead an army, be an advisor to the king. Be a spy in an enemy nation. Scout across the land. Whatever you feel like doing, we'll accomodate you. I'm open to suggestions constantly, so make sure to PM me if you have anything to say.

[b]Rules[/b]
    1. No GMing
    2. Don't post the damage of others.
    3. Play realistically.
    4. Have fun!

(Note: The next few sections seem complicated, but this is only so you know what I'm doing. For the most part, everyone (including the faction leaders to some extent, will never deal with any of this.)

[b]Economy[/b]

Every city will produce a certain amount of wealth every turn. This is represented in the currency of Gold and Glory, the piece of 'Gold.' One gold will be worth about ten thousand US dollars. Each turn each citizen produces one gold (at least). This will go towards Science, maintenance (each army will consume one gold per turn, as will each city improvement), luxuries (to keep citizens happy), and your treasury.

[b]Production[/b]

For the most part, armies will take two-five turns to build, city improvements will take 3-6, Wonders of the World will take 5-10. Any time you want to build something, I'll inform you of how long it will take. Each city can only build one thing at a time.

[b]Food[/b]

Each citizen produces (at least) one food unit per turn, and consumes the same amount. Variables will be nearby terrain, irrigation, etc. Once there is a surplus of food, food will be stored until 3 food points have been accumulated. Then another citizen will be added.

[b]Armies[/b]

Armies can only consist of one type of unit. Some armies can be upgraded with more advanced technology as it becomes available. While each type of army will have an assigned Offensive and Defensive power, battles between armies will be controlled by players, using these numbers as a guideline. (Note, if a unit has no Offensive or Defensive points, then by 'attacking it' the army will become the attackers'.

Settler
    Attack: 0
    Defense: 0
    Speed: Normal
    Special: A city that raises a Settler army loses two thousand people (or 2 citizen equivalents). Settlers are used to found new cities, which start off with a base population of 1 thousand (1 citizen equivalent). Settlers can join other cities, causing an increase of two thousand citizens in the city they join.
    Description: When cities grew to a size that could not support a decent standard of living for its citizens, groups of men, women, and children would leave, striking out to found a new city for themselves. These new cities would grow, and in turn, send out settlers of their own.

Pioneer
    Attack: 0
    Defense: 0
    Speed: Fast (twice that of Normal)
    Special: A city that raises a Pioneer army loses two thousand people (or 2 citizen equivalents). Pioneers are used to found new cities, which start off with a base population of 1 thousand (1 citizen equivalent). Pioneers can join other cities, causing an increase of two thousand citizens in the city th

2. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yommie, I love you. This is what I've been waiting for all my long RPG-life.

May I trouble you to ask to be been in Faction A? ?[face_plain]

~ DS5

3. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    You trouble me, but sure.
    ;)

[b]Faction A[/b]

DarthSeti5

[b]Faction B[/b]

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo
    Thok

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    go to www.cia.gov (i think) and look in their World Factbook section for maps. They have some nice maps there.

5. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    You troble me all the time. Thank you Yommie. Right now, I guess I'm the leader of the world. Only one here. Ha ha!

~ DS5

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    and I'll join Faction B

DS5 - You have competition now!

7. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Ill join....but what side? umm...hard decision....umm......B!

8. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Oh, I'll take you down Mitthy. Faction A will do . . . stuff. Stuff the likes you could never imagine! Like building a toaster oven the size of a mouse. Yes, a mouse. And it will run like a mouse. And when you try to toast your bread it will run away and you will never have toast! Ha ha ha ha! Victory is mine! Or not . . . not at all. No. :(

EDIT: Thok, you traitor! I'll have your toast too!

~ DS5

9. Yomin_Carr

Jan 12, 2002
    Added you, Mitth.

EDIT: And you, Thok.

Do you guys have any preference as to where the RPG is set? As I said above, the Mediterranean offers naval battles later in the game, and relative fertility, whereas the Middle East offers ease when dealing with the map (not too much variety in terrain as compared to Italy/Greece), and more aggression, as there is less 'good' land.

10. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    I'd have the map be from Spain to a few hundred miles East of modern day Turkey. Include the entire Mediterranian. Or not. You may want the "world" to be smaller, though.

~ DS5

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Wouldn't it depend on the civilizations the Factions choose? For example lets say Faction A are the Romans and Faction B are the Egyptians. It would be suitable for it to be set in the Mediterranian since both civilizations are on the Mediterranian Sea. But in the case of Egypt, it would also be Middle East.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *joins faction A*

Mediterranean, I say.

13. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yommie- Along with this map, would the civilizations be able to expand past the map or would they be restricted to the world we decide?

~ DS5

14. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    ::invades rome::

meh...i think we can expand apon our borders...

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Expand beyond the map?? But what about the monsters and dragons that lurk there!? :p

16. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    I think Hades is also out there. Somewhere near France.

~ DS5

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Nah, he's just beneath your feet underground in the Underworld. Dive into the Styx River and you can go meet him if you want.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Gaul, you fool! It's called Gaul! :p ;)

19. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    meh...stix...heh.

20. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    Ooohhh, great idea!

I think I'll join Faction B for now, if that is acceptable.

21. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I wanna be the Romans, I wanna join faction A! *yells!*

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    In all likelihood, Faction A will be the Romans and Faction B will be the Egyptians.

23. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    "in a roman style, with a roman smile we all go of to take over the know world!

In a roman style, with a roman smile we all go of making our vioces heard!

now take one step forward, hold your hands high. for we will neveeeeer diiiiieee!

in a roman style, with a roman smile we all go of to take over the know world!

In a roman style, with a roman smile we all go of making our vioces heard!"

*sings*

24. KnightHawk

KnightHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 17, 2003
    (Also signs on with Faction A.)

"Hail Caesar!"

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I would like to be on Fraction A: Romans, please :) . I am not getting no sun tan out there in Egypt 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.