main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You should also note that the cloud cars were flying on the same course, just to the starboard side of the Falcon. Their shots couldn't have hit the ship itself, so they were just a warning shot fired into the Falcon's general flight path.

Iron_lord and chagrian_scavenger like this.
  2. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    This must have been asked a trillion times but I still can't find a theory...why did Darth Vader never go looking for his children between the prequels and Episode 4?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Because he thought they died with Padme.

4. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    Thanks, Iron_Lord! For some reason, I assumed he knew they were fine but either didn't care or had some side of him that just didn't want them to grow up with his influence but that didn't seem to make sense to me considering he was so devoted to the Dark Side. I never considered that he just assumed they were dead. Thanks for clearing it up!

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

who is the girl in Mark's lap, his daughter, sister?

6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Could be his daughter.

Nando likes this.
  7. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I don't think it was Mark's daughter, because his first child was born during the filming of The Empire Strikes Back.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So Dave Prowse just confirmed that he knew well before he attended the opening for Star Wars that his voice had been dubbed over. Come to think of it, it's obvious Dave would have known some kind of dubbing would have gone on, as they would definitely not have used the dialog of him speaking from within the helmet. It seems stories of Dave being embarrassed and
    mad at George for the dubbing were just outright made up then.

Forgive me for being too lazy to look this up, but I've heard accounts that they chose to re-record his lines with James Earl Jones because it was actually cheaper than flying Dave over for recording. I believe Jones said they came to him specifically looking for a 'darker' voice to use for the character. I stand by the fact that Dave's voice was not as silly and humorous as people claim it was; it would have done the job fine. But James Earl Jones really gave us something iconic and immediately memorable.

9. Codename_Strife's_Shadow

Codename_Strife's_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2015
    Does anyone have a good idea for why the Empire (generally) were very pro-human, leaving the "alien" species' to be looked on with disdain? I don't really understand why; if they can do the job, let them do the job, you know?

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Out-of-universe - possibly the intention of various EU authors was to invoke various real life ultra-prejudiced dictatorships.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Was Leia aware she was adopted?
    Luke asks her, "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

The fact that she doesn't react to the specific emphasis on "real" seems odd to me

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless she already knows she's adopted, and that Luke knows too.

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The main reason was because the majority of the CIS were comprised of aliens. The ROTS novel goes into detail about this, with Dooku's inner monologue prior to the duel with Anakin and Obi-Wan:

captivity that would allow him to sit out the rest of the war in comfort; a captivity that would allow him to forswear his former allegiances-when he would conveniently appear to finally discover the true extent of the Separatists' crimes against civilization-and bind himself to the new government with his reputation for integrity and idealism fully intact. The new government ... This had been their star of destiny for lo, these many years. A government clean, pure, direct: none of the messy scramble for the favor of ignorant rabble and subhuman creatures that made up the Republic he so despised. The government he would serve would be Authority personified. Human authority. It was no accident that the primary powers of the Confederacy of Independent Systems were Neimoidian, Skakoan, Quarren and Aqualish, Muun and Gossam, Sy Myrthian and Koorivar and Geonosian. At war's end the aliens would be crushed, stripped of all they possessed, and their systems and their wealth would be given into the hands of the only beings who could be trusted with them. Human beings. Dooku would serve an Empire of Man. And he would serve it as only he could. As he was born to. He would smash the Jedi Order to create it anew: not shackled by the corrupt, narcissistic, shabby little beings who called themselves politicians, but free to bring true authority and true peace to a galaxy that so badly needed both. An Order that would not negotiate. Would not mediate. An Order that would enforce. The survivors of the Jedi Order would become the Sith Army. The Fist of the Empire.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Codename_Strife's_Shadow

Codename_Strife's_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2015
    Ah, thank you timmoishere, I hadn't read the novel but that definitely makes things a lot clearer. Thanks again! :)

On another note however, is it bad that the CIS/Sith/Imperials almost always tend to make more sense than the Jedi/Republic/Rebels as far as realism? The Jedi/Republic/Rebels usually sound hopelessly idealistic, which when contrasted to realities harsh truths, sound extremely naïve.

15. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Is there an official explanation of what kind of Academy Luke was trying to go to in Episode IV?

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yep, it's an Imperial Academy. Luke might "hate the Empire" but getting training from them would be a major benefit. And of course Biggs did the same and jumped ship the the Rebellion. Luke does not mention this to Uncle Owen.

Alienware likes this.
  17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Many pilots for the Rebellion trained at an Imperial academy and then immediately defected upon graduation. It was a way for the Rebellion to get experienced pilots at the Empire's expense.

Luke was likely trying to apply to the Imperial Military Academy on Carida, or perhaps Raithal.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Was there any EU explanation for how Luke came to know of 'Old Ben'?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe it was the ANH novelization. Biggs and Luke were joyriding through Beggar's Canyon when a krayt dragon came out of nowhere and damaged their vehicles. Obi-Wan came along and rescued them, and brought them back to Luke's farm. Owen was none too happy about Obi-Wan's continued interest and interference in Luke's life.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not in the novelization as far as I know - but I think it was in the comics and short stories. The story is Luke Skywalker's Walkabout - his companion is "Windy" rather than Biggs, and the scene is repeated in the Ryder Windham book A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker.

21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Why is Clive Revill still credited as the voice of the emperor in Empire Strikes Back?

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    In the digital release of the Saga, (4 5 and 6) is it the same as the BluRay 2011? With Ep numbers and changes?

23. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    How original are the original versions on my double-DVDs I have, from I think 2006?

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Was the Rebellion hoping and aiming to assassinate the Emperor directly when it targeted and destroyed the second Death Star?

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011