main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My feeling is that anything flying like that might show up on the Empire's equivalent of radar.

2. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    it look make sense but they fly in day time. so it cant be the reason.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is my take, Han was going out to search for Luke at dusk/evening. Both X-Wings and Snow Speeders probably have significant search limitations at night.

4. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    X-wings fly at space so night should not be a problem.

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm not aware that an X-Wing starfighter would have been the better choice for the rescue mission in ESB than a vehicle designed for optimal atmospheric flight performance like the snowspeeder.

.Add to this that the snowspeeders had an extra and empty passenger seat to take Luke and Han back to Echo Base. With X-Wings that would have been rather difficult to do.

6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    But they use sensors, which would not be appropriate for finding a people against a vast white background.

7. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    My own opinion, I think it might be a speed issue. X-Wings are made to fly fast. Yes, they can go slower, but it would be like forcing a Formula One car to go slow. Under normal travel, it would be like trying to pick out one spectator while that Formula One is driving past.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  8. texjrwillerjr

Dec 13, 2015
    X-wing was just an example. there must be other flying objects there than han can fly. so why not and use kind a buffalo?

9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    And then we get to the concept of "Suspension of disbelief." I feel ya. I really do. I want to pull things apart, too and really understand them and say, "but, but they could've..." On some level, though, you just have to throw up your hands and say, "OK, good enough."

10. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    How did Han and Leia not find it strange that Obi Wan's body had disappeared?

11. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Perhaps they simply didn't notice. Perception is a funny thing.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Hadn't they already entered the Falcon by that point? Or at least they were focused on climbing the ramp.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia might have - but Han is outside long enough to yell "Blast the door, kid" at Luke.

Bens robes are far enough away that I can believe none of them (maybe not even Luke) noticed that there's no body bulging them out on the ground.

14. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    When Chewbacca was tinkering with C-3PO, did C-3PO say "know our secret" right before saying "stormtroopers? Here?"

15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you talking about the scene on Cloud City?

16. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Yes.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    He's saying "No! I don't know any secrets!" As if he thought he was being interrogated by the stormtroopers.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hmm.... that does bring up an interesting question about 3PO's programming if that's indeed what he was really saying. Is it within his programming to lie? Or would he simply refuse to say something?

Movies haven't addressed it, but according to EU, it takes specific reprogramming (or breaking) for a droid to be capable of lying. Then again, 3PO isn't a standard produced droid

A fascinating train of thought, anyways

Nibelung likes this.
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    3PO does impersonate a deity in ROTJ, which is bending the truth a little, while not outright lying to the Ewoks.

20. sobielg

sobielg Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2017
    What were the names of these flying orbs that the obi-wan used to train Luke? Did this orb kick the electricity, or did he burn a hole in the skin?
    I recently remembered the name but now I have chaos in my head

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's called a remote:

Han: "Look, good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living? That's something else."

It fires low-power blaster bolts of plasma - "stun" bolts - that will hurt the skin, but not burn through it.

Both the Jedi, and smugglers seeking to improve their marksmanship, use them.

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ That's not what I remember, Solo used a general description but IIRC the correct designation would have been "seeker" or "seeker ball".

[​IMG]

They first showed up in McQuarrie's concept art for the Mos Eisley Cantina. IIRC the annotations in the Star Wars Portfolio, featuring this image, provided the name and their purpose: To seek out criminals and execute them on spot with a deadly beam.

How would have thought that only a few decades later we'd have drones for this kind of job, clearly a case of "Fact follows Fantasy"... ;)

I also have little doubt that before the prequels these little seekers were the original in-universe inspiration for the Death Star. [face_skull]

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The ones Yoda uses are called seeker balls in TESB novel - but that doesn't mean they're called seekers in ANH.

The PT in particular makes it clear that Jedi use these things for training - they are not criminal-seeking killer droids.

This would be a classic example of "McQuarrie art idea gets changed when translated to the screen".

There are droids that seek out criminal activity - but not to kill criminals - to report that activity to the Empire.

We see one in the ANH Special Edition.

24. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord

I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that. In ANH we don't see Kenobi or Luke bringing any luggage on board, suggesting (emphasized by Episode VII) that the seeker ball or remote belongs to Solo and Chewbacca.

Given the original intention (McQuarrie painting) I'm pretty sure that Solo or Chewbacca met this particular seeker ball or remote but neutralized it before it could kill or stun Solo and/or Chewbacca. They either kept it as a souvenir and/or reprogrammed that little ball for their own purposes to serve as a drone.

Compare that to the DRK-1 probe droid utilized by Darth Maul in TPM, obviously the predecessor of that remote we saw in ANH:

[​IMG]

Where it gets admittedly obfuscated are these seeker balls used for Jedi training by Yoda in a deleted scene of ESB. I think "seeker" itself hints that these are balls designed to "seek" (otherwise training ball would be more appropriate) and we look at a coincidence that Yoda, too, like Han and Chewie, is using remotes that have been modified for a new purpose.

Here is a cool find what these Dagobah seeker balls (shown in the comic adaptation) might have looked like: https://starwarsaficionado.blogspot.de/2010/12/classic-image-empires-unseen-seeker.html

To cut a longer story short: I think in both cases (ANH and ESB) we are looking at seeker balls, designed to "seek" and find criminals (as envisioned by McQuarrie) and to stun them to say the least, until authorities arrive, proven by the fact that they are capable of shooting unpleasant beams, which in both cases is probably owed to modifications made by Han or Chewie and Yoda. ;)

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Jedi use it to train themselves - why can't we treat it as a retcon - it's a training remote - with the "seeker" function being simply that it seeks to hit the target (the guy being trained?

When Han actually calls it a remote, and nobody onscreen calls them seekers - there's not much point in making "seeker" the primary word.

When it looks exactly like a PT-type training instrument, Occam's Razor says it probably is a PT-type training instrument that Han has gotten hold of.