main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not of the remote, but of the imperial probe droid.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    First of all they are called "seekers" according to the fourth draft of ESB from October 1978:

332. EXT SWAMP - BOG - DUSK

Luke lies motionless in the mud with Artoo leaning over him. Two

glowing balls about the size of baseballs hover above them like

mosquitoes and occasionally the angry Artoo swats at them; they

move just out of the stubby droid's reach. Artoo whistles to his

master several times, but gets no response. Artoo turns toward

Yoda, who is sitting quietly nearby chewing on his Gimer Stick,

and begins to furiously beep and scold the little Jedi Master.

Artoo turns back to Luke. A small metal electrode projects out of

Artoo and rests on Luke's chest. There is a concerned whistle

from the droid, a short electronic yap, and Luke jumps awake with

a start. The young Jedi shakes his head clear and rubs his

shoulder. He is very angry; his glare moves between Yoda and the

two glowing balls.

YODA

(jovial)

Concentration. Heh? Concentration.

LUKE

(pissed)

I thought those seekers were set for stun!

YODA

That they are.

So here we have the original and official description by George Lucas. IMHO, the problem with "remote" remains that it's obviously a general description Solo uses for any mechanical device that's operating "remote", which would also include probe droids and other devices, in contrast to "the living".

Add to this that the scene begins with Luke having been knocked out by one of these seekers and complaining about their setting, apparently based on his less painful experience he had the first time with a "seeker" aboard the Falcon in ANH... ;)

Alexrd

Why should the TPM probe droid exclusively evolve into the ESB probe droid? It could have also evolved into something much smaller, i.e. a seeker which is obviously also inspired by the Jedi training balls (and that would make perfect sense to me that the Empire has perverted a Jedi Training ball into a nasty device).

Given the background of Solo I'd rather believe he acquired his seeker from a dodgy location, rather than from a Jedi...

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thing is - the one in ANH doesn't glow like the ones in the TESB deleted scene are described as doing.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    There could be different models, it's a big galaxy. And where did Yoda get his seekers from? From the abandoned cave on Dagobah? In that case we might be looking at ancient artifacts, perhaps used by the Sith for killing and redesigned by the Jedi for training purposes? (and redesigned again by Palpatine to serve the Empire?)

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because the Sith probes are the same type of droid as the Imperial probes. The remotes have a different purpose and remain unchanged in both the PT and OT.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That deleted scene may not be canon anymore. Even if it is still canon, Yoda may have taken them from the Jedi temple, or gotten them off Bail Organa, before heading to Dagobah (knowing that he would need instruments to train Luke with, many years later).

Makes sense to me that Han, Bail, various other characters, and Jedi have "training seekers" - with people like Bail (or Han) using them to train their self-defence skills - become good at dodging, become good at hitting (or deflecting shots back at, in the case of Jedi) a moving target.

7. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    In the case of Solo that seeker ball could have only served the use of target practice (because dodging its beams would have required Jedi skills).

No unless somebody claims that the seeker ball we saw in ANH belonged to Kenobi (picture this: Kenobi showing up in Docking Bay 94 with two seeker balls in front of his chest, concealed by his robe with the heading "No questions asked..." [face_laugh]) and we can safely assume that Solo (or Chewie) was its owner, the original context / intention remains intact, i.e. a device to seek out criminals (hence "seeker") and captured, modified or else by Han Solo for target practice and other purposes.

I also don't see any indication, that by the time of ESB the seeker ball had retroactively become a standard Jedi training tool, the designation "seeker" from the deleted scene and the overall context (Luke complaining about the beams' intensity he had not encountered in ANH), rather suggested that Yoda, too, had modified a seeker for practice purposes of his own (or more precise to have a PT Jedi training ball he probably didn't have access to otherwise).

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the one in ANH is basically identical to PT training balls, isn't it more logical, to assume that it is a PT training ball - but that not just Jedi, but others, like Han, make use of them?

Makes more sense to me than trying to contrive a completely different original purpose for Han's ball.

Which is probably why the newcanon Databank, says that Training Remotes appeared in ANH (and TFA, for that one moment where Finn picks it up)

http://www.starwars.com/databank/training-remote

Them having adjustable settings (and Han being not particularly fond of exceptionally painful lessons) might be why Luke has never experienced a higher setting.

Similarly - why would Yoda have a bunch of criminal-hunting seeker balls, if he's gone straight to Dagobah, spent the last 20 years there - and there's no criminals for the Empire to hunt there?

The idea that the Empire sent criminal-hunting seeker balls to Dagobah and Yoda captured them and modified them, is overcomplicated.

Similarly, with Yoda somehow coming into possession of a bunch of "criminal-hunters" right before leaving for Dagobah.

By far simpler, is that when Obi-Wan and Yoda in ROTS left the Jedi temple, they took a few things with them, planning for the future.

The probe droid in TESB - a "Rebellion hunter" actually looks like the sort of thing that would search - it has camera lenses.

The remotes - not so much.
    The other way round- the Jedi adapted a "shooter's training tool" found throughout the galaxy, to their own use - deflection training.

9. Robert Power

Robert Power Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    Could someone help me out by explaining how I put images in the posts, I know ive done it before but can't work it out now for some reason.

Sorry in advance for being dumb :confused:

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I usually use {img} {/img} (but with square brackets.

Putting it inside a quote tag and/or spoiler tag helps if its unusually wide.

However, the forum occasionally resizes them - and it's difficult to tell whether it will end up being resized or not, till after it's posted.

11. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    God! What an awful question!

Just kidding. It's actually a great question. Keep asking!

What was said before with the image URL between the
    Code:
    [img]
    and the closing version. (Let's see if that works! It didn't first time around. Had to edit.)

Tapatalk has a good interface for posting your own images or ones you've downloaded.

Edit: and my screw up is an important point, too. You have 1/2 hour to edit your posts. Keep trying!

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

Robert Power likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Are the images hosted on your computer?

13. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    In ESB, what happens to those manacles that Han Solo is wearing around his upper arms as he is lowered into the Carbon Freeze chamber? He isn't wearing them in ROTJ when Leia releases him in Jabba's palace.

14. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Gods! Logic! Begone with him!
    In the book Tarkin, he's in charge of construction of the DS.
    But in Catalyst, Krennic had been in charge since day one. He's also in charge when it's completed.
    So Krennic started it. Tarkin took it over. Turned it back over to Krennic. Then took it back once it was completed? What??

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

15. Robert Power

Robert Power Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    Hi thanks for your response, yes I have some on my pc :)

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

There may be the problem. In order to post images on these boards, the images must be hosted by a third-party server (or photo-sharing service), i.e., not your own computer you post from. An exception to this are images used for your avatar.

17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Or, get them to your phone and have Tapatalk post them.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

18. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    I saw this on the old version of the Databank (link below), but since I can't find an officially documented source for it, I don't know how true it is. According to the statement, Lucas was considering digitally replacing the original mask used for Admiral Ackbar, with the Mon Calamari senator from the deleted scene from Revenge of the Sith, presumably in the 2004 DVD, since he wasn't satisfied with how Ackbar turned out the first time. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

https://web.archive.org/web/2005052....com:80/databank/character/meenatills/?id=bts

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The creature masks for ROTJ were at that time state of the art, since then animatronics have come on just as much as computer generated FX. But for the time he's on screen and such is the delivery and performance they got from the mask I just don't see any point in replacing it.
    Whether there is any truth? It's possible but then GL considered many alterations for the CT from the time he released the SE to the time the BluRay was released, including filming a scene where Boba crawls out of the Sarlaac immediately after the skiff has departed.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I dunno how true this was as I was on the boards back then and IIRC, there was nothing to it. Lucas had left the puppets alone and only altered the Ewoks to blink.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Got a Question Thread.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe it's mentioned in The Making of Revenge of the Sith book, along with him considering to redo a few ANH shots of the Blockade Runner corridor when he was shooting in that set for Revenge of the Sith. In the end, he did neither (probably out of time/money/priority). I'll try to check later.

23. Kivine

Kivine Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2017
    Hi,
    Has anyone ever noticed in Return of the Jedi a boom mic visible when Obi-Wan speaks to Luke on Dagobah or a light fixture on the ceiling of Yoda's hut when he's dying?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    LOL! I haven't but I'll look for it now. About as funny as the Stormtrooper hitting his head.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

25. Death_Becomes_Bazinga'd

Death_Becomes_Bazinga'd Moderator of Death

Sep 17, 2015

Almost but not quite.

DarthIshyZ likes this.