main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode - 120 "Innocents of Ryloth"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Jun 20, 2011.

?

Grade the Episode - 120 "Innocents of Ryloth"

Poll closed Jun 20, 2011.
  1. 10

42.9%
  2. 9

22.9%
  3. 8

17.1%
  4. 7

2.9%
  5. 6

2.9%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

5.7%
  1. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    9/10

Very good episode. Definitely one of TCW's best. Plenty of other posters have explained why more succinctly than I could.

If I was George Lucas, I would force every new TCW writer to watch this episode and a handful of others just to ram it into their skulls what a proper episode of TCW looks like.

I echo your sentiment. The clones' machine-like expendability is part of their appeal, but so is their humanity. Some EU writers haven't grasped this, even though they've had since 2002 to do so, while TCW has done better in this regard.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I admit I've hardly read any EU material. In TCW, it really surprises me how much I like the clones, at first I really didn't care about them. But they really grew on me. Their personalities are endearing and to me have built up a dark, sad, and mysterous aura around them which I find very appealing. Besides that they tend to be more fun to root for than the Jedi leading them alot of the time.

3. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    10 for me. First off, I seriously like the way this episode plays on the severity/hardships of the war, not only with the Twi'lek refugees but with the opening shot of the gunships trying to evade the Separatists' blastefire. I loved how the animators made the CIS guns appear extra powerful with well-placed camera shakes and the really nice shots of the Twi'leks covering their ears. The whole sequence at the beginning did well at reminding viewers that this is a full-fledged war. =D=

Adding to this, Numa was a genius addition to the battle. In addition to showcasing the victims that the war has created, she brought out the human side of the clones, which I thought was particularly well done. One thing that takes me out of the show is when clones act too "normal" despite their supposed programming. The writers did a fantastic job of gradually taking two duty-minded clones and letting them slowly develop a sense of humanity. It was great to see an example of the circumstances where a clone can somewhat break the Kaminoan "follow orders to the letter" mind alterations.

Overall this was an amazing look at the dark side of the war with several outstanding sequences, especially Obi-Wan singlehandedly taming a dozen beasts with the Force! =P~ A true example of the greatness the show can achieve when the writers are on their "A" game!

4. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    It got a 9 form me.

Good episode all aroud. My favourite part was all the Twi'leks at the end rushing the tactical droid, screaming and ripping it apart, then Obi-Wan covers Numa's eyes.

One of the things though that I didn't like was the defiant clone. Then again it could be something used later on in the GFFA(maybe not neccesarily in TCW though) fr Jedi who escaped because of defiant clones. Still, Waxer and Boil were a good team.

5. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Favorite episode of the series. A REAL war story. If only more episodes could be this good.

6. Drunk_Lando

Drunk_Lando Jedi Master star 1

Oct 19, 2010
    I gave it a 5.

I don't like this. Even in AOTC, the clones were shown as "living robots." Soldiers loyal to the Republic, not the Jedi. They followed orders without question. We can assume this meant legal orders. Order 66 was a legal order given through the valid chain of command. Palpatine only wanted 100% loyal soldiers.

TCW seem to want to humanize the clones as a marketing plot. I guess with wars going on, the show wants to make soldiers seem cool. This causes the Jedi to be presented as morons and side characters who sit around and do nothing. Seems like the powers-that-be think little kids can't relate to a bunch of "monk knights." I would have found the episode more interesting if Waxer and Boil characters were played by Jedi knights.

EDIT: Made mistake with who said what quote. Sorry.

EDIT 2: Took some of my post out. Didn't seem related to topic.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    11/10 - A more-than-perfect episode.
    ++ Utterly adorable Numa. Who could imagine that an animated character could be so heartbreakingly tragic and yet resiliently hopeful!
    + great character development of the clones.
    + Obi-Wan showcases his leadership as a General and his skills as a Jedi Master - something that is usually overshadowed by Skywalker.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    10/10.

Best episode of the series bar none. We got a great story, an advance in the animation, good music, and a great script. Not to mention the beast trick scene which one of the best they've given us.

Also loved: "Get me Kenobi!" and Ghost Company.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    yes that could be- i like clones but don't have any special emotional investment and wouldn't really be shocked if Rex dies (i think he does) but well Ahsoka's death would be harder:p - especially since it don't go well with ROTS IMO so it wouldn't only be sad to see her killed as so young:( but also would ruin movies imo -since Anakin should be sooo mad if that happens.... he is not- doesn't even mention her in ROTS....

Yes not everyone- Fives is only survivor of domino squad and i'm disappointed if they kill him of next[face_plain] i mean- really- they shouldn't create "extra weight" characters that can be killed when all others have to live that's bad writing- but Waxer and Boil were not seen in ROTS so there is no need to save them either- maybe best would be save another and let another live.....

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Holy off-topic Batman! Why do you believe every character who was not shown in RotS needs to die? How would it wreck the movie if Waxer and Boiler don't die by the end of the show? I like Ahsoka well enough and will be sad for her unhappy ending as well. As I've said before I don't believe death is the only way, thats the lame way out. I think its far more heartbreaking for Ahsoka, young and naive as she is to have to live through order 66 and Anakin's turn and all the unimaginable baggage that would come with it.

Rex may die but I'll be rooting for him to live all the way (Its not like anyone else with a decent lot of screen time is worth rooting for to live because they will), when he does I'll drink to him and get over it. The same is true for Five, and Waxer. I'd like to see all of them go out in a wave of glory if it has to be so but I won't be surprised if its lame as a Lion King parody.

Rex: FIVES! ... BROTHER! ... HELP ME! -Rex clings to cliff-
    -Fives digs gloved fingers into Rex's knuckles-
    Rex: Aaahhh!
    -Fives stares into Rex's visor and the screen darkens ominously.-
    Fives: Long give the captain...
    -Flings Rex off-
    Anakin: NOOOOOO!

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    All clones have to die eventually. I'm surprised they're not disintegrating because of all the genetic fiddling the Kaminoans did with them.

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    [face_hypnotized] Hey now we have understanding problem here i didn't mean that- but anyone else than Ahsoka is fine with me :p since this is war and war needs some fallen....
    since Waxer and Boil are not in ROTS they can die but that doesn't mean they have to die but they run out expendable characters and they start to create redshirt clones if Waxer and Boil live on too long..... but they don't have to die never said that and "all that are not seen in ROTS" you made this up yourself i never said so- there is many i think should live to dark times era- even Ventress could- i like the idea she becomes next clan mother but that's off-topic.....

ummm... i meant Ahsoka's death would wreck the movie because Anakin should be mad after that didn't mean Waxer and Boil in any way but since they are Cody's men i think well see them in the future
    and it becomes more probable they die since Cody cannot....

So kaminoans are good in what they do:p

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Killing off everyone is just a cop-out way of sealing characters' fates. It's basically admitting you couldn't think of anything more creative.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    but everyone dies even IU and there is imaginative ways to die also- would be fun to see someone just randomly sniped by a droid- it would be so much more realistic and shocking- since every named clone cannot have epic death scene....

Anakin, Rex and Ahsoka walk in the forest.... suddenly shipershot hits Rex in the head
    Ahsoka: Rex!!!!
    Anakin: Get in the cover! No time for epic death scenes!

Battledroid: Good shot commander!
    Commando droid: Shut the **** up retard!
    Battledroid: um... Roger roger
    [face_laugh]

it's totally normal something like this happens to unnamed clone (while droid humour is never quite like that[face_laugh] ) but if clone has name then he suddenly needs epic death scene......

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I whole-heartedly agree with Fanboy and I seem to remember a droid already sniped Rex...

Obviously clones are going to die, its war. If I didn't think they were going to die at some point then it would be no fun to root for them in battle. I'm just saying there are darker and more impacting ways to show war than randomly turning Rex into a smoking crater with an RPG. Because that's seriously going to make TCW more realistic and believable... Back to topic kind of, Didn't Numa and the upcoming scenes of the firebombing of the Twi-liks do more for reminding and showing us how awful war is than the death of 1,000 clones, Echo, and Even combined? When was the last time we saw destruction like that in TCW? That's what we really need more of.

And,

Every now and again the Kaminoans screw up and make a bad one, a little to much growth acceleration in 99 and a few to many brain cells for Cut. Unfortunately I think its going to be cadets and shinies coming off the assembly line who are more likely to be falling apart.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Character shield saved him:p

17. Drunk_Lando

Drunk_Lando Jedi Master star 1

Oct 19, 2010
    It felt more like, look how bad the Separatist are. Good thing the Republic is hear to help these poor civilians out. CIS is evil, the Republic is good. You could say it was more pro-war than anti-war.

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I partially agree with both claims we need to see Republic doing the same but then again SW is pretty black and white with "good jedi" and "bad sith"- brave rebels vs. evil empire etc....

but HOBS and introduction of Tarkin were welcome but even so there is too clear "bad vs. good" stuff going on while there is potential for better stories with different shades of gray- of course that could be too much for some viewers and after all SW is naive good vs. evil story more than realistic depiction of war that is always extremely gray business in terms of morality that is part of the SW's genre not really thing we can complain about....but well about what people couldn't complain:p

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This is actually a phenomenal idea. We had 99 in the Kamino arc, but it would be really interesting to explore clones who have weird inexplicable things happening to them: weird twitches, sociopathic behaviour, skin problems, could be anything.=D=

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely count myself as part of the gang that wants more clones next season. Two clone episodes per season isn't nearly enough.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Haven't we already seen these "failed clones"- Cut, 99, Slick and Waxer- there is no need for more abnormal clones- in fact i think they need more generic and normal clones than special cases..... clone with a skinproblems? That reminds me "I've got an itch and i can't scrath it" - LOL what about clones named Itchy and Scratchy[face_laugh]

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely would have given this a 10 the first time I watched it because I was very impressed, I re-watched it expecting it to be a 9, but after watching it I'm thinking it probably deserves the 10 after all. It has a lot of things that make it highly re-watch-able. Screw it, I'm voting ten. There are too few Obi-Wan episodes (possibly my favorite Star Wars character), he does no fewer than three awesome things with the Force, the battles are intense, I'm no expert but the animation looks far ahead of the beginning of the season, and of course the sub-plot with the Twi'lek girl pulls it all together by giving you something to think about - the drastically different reactions of the two clones who found her (metaphysics of clones bonus).

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I finally got The InterWebz again! So I can finally vote ...

Well, my son made me re-watch this only yesterday, and it turned out to be my favorite episode from season 1. I like Obi-Wan, anyway, but Waxer, Boil and Numa were so adorable ... their interaction made me gulp time and time again.
    While there are several episodes I really like (I do love clone-centric episodes), none of the others gripped me the way this one did, so I must give it a 10 out of 10.