main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grips

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthBane77, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I'm constructing a new lightsaber. I want to get a new grip pattern. My current plan:

wrap in electrical tape for a nice black base level. Then, take leather, then wrap leather in thin strands around forming a nice pattern, cutting ends and tying them.

My problem: I don't know how to do this.

Any suggestions or other ideas on grips? That seems to be the major flaw in all my saber plans. Its by far the most difficult part. Thanks!

:)

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    You could cut slots in the hilt, then wrap the leather solidly around a piece of PVC just smaller than the hilt and insert it into the hilt. Or you could go even further and rather than slots, do a design with a dremel.

3. Headhunter0183

Headhunter0183 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2002
    Hey DB77

Something that I did that works realy well is get a pair of custom motorcycle grips (search "custom grips" on ebay)
    and use them for your saber.
    They have some pretty awsome designs. You can get a pair for under 20 bucks if you get lucky.

The ones I found were chrome with cut outs and black rubber inserts. You may have to modifyi them a bit, but thats not too hard if you have a dremmel.

4. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    My thanks to you both!! I'll let you know the results!

5. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I have made a lightsaber grip from strips of leather. I inserted the ends of each strip into a lengthwise slot down the side of the pipe I was using. The strips were glued on while wet, in an overlapping pattern. When they had dried, they shrunk a little bit to the shape I had fashioned them in.
    I put some glue between the pieces of leather inside the tube and pressed them together with a clamp made from sheet aluminum that I tightened with a pair of pliers from both ends of the tube.
    This handgrip is only a few inches long. The method might be unsuitable for a larger one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.