main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Ezekiel 25:17

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes. We've never been more ****ed up, srsly.

I totally agree, and I'm a gun owner. There are too many fidiots out there doing stoooopid things

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, everything after 1492 was awful.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    My people had the rule of the roost, so I am biased on that particular point...and we use pretty colors.[​IMG]

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

1861-1865 was a pretty bad time.

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    How many more angry songs will Eddie Vedder have to write before people get that gun culture is bad?

It's still mind blowing that the solution many have is to simply use more gun. When in doubt, the liberal application of gun is apparently a sure fire way to problem solve.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i would consider turning in my grun if eddie vedders wrote a grun control song that was around two hours long and featured layered, cacophonic swells of distorted bass guitar strings being pummeled with the screams of children piercing through the sludge, a my little pony-style fantastical section, a section featuring the howls of wolves amongst howls of wild-ass feedback. it would need an orchestral section that builds and builds in half-steps of pitch and volume, an ambient section with twinkly stars and the audio from that guy murdering those trespassers on his property from that other thread, a section with tibetan singing bowls and the sounds of spray bottles going off, with alternating male/female moaning sounds surging back and forth in the mix, a scooby-doo section, a section that covers the song "funky town" with blast beats, a section made up of jack shephard clips/dialogue. and a bunch of other things i haven't thought of yet.

Penguinator likes this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    real funny stuff, dude. keep up the good work :)

V-2 likes this.
  9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    but i really want to hear this, michael! or something approaching it at least. i guess i'll have to just make it myself.

harpua likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    How about we take the guns away from mentally ill people who are reported to the cops at least? Surely that is not a bridge too far?

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Someone's going to argue that they have a constitutional right to these firearms, guys.

13. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes but even the US Supreme Court has stated that the second amendment has boundaries and limits. Mental illness is one such boundary.

14. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    As soon as we let our guard down, will have the British in our back yards!

15. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    *we'll*

(Damn auto correct)

16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    "We'll" was not the error in your post.

:D

DT421 likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, well, I happen to listen to a higher authority than the Supreme Court. Jesus. Jesus gave man rights, and only He can take them away.

Check and mate, pinko.

18. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    It's OK, you are a nation of over 300 million. If you take the guns away from the mentally ill, the convicted felons and the racists, then you will still have over a million people to defend yourself with.

V-2 and Darth-Lando like this.
  19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003

Saintheart likes this.
  20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I wish we could afford a process that included a mental evaluation/assessment for a gun purchase. Maybe you need to have two independent assessments that you shouldn't have a gun in order to deny a purchase. I think it's a much more precarious problem to come up with a reliable process that would identify the mentally ill whose guns should be taken away, but I'd be interested in working on that problem, too.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Like the idiot from the family research council on MSNBC earlier today.:oops:

22. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    And a "promise/cross my heart" that said purchaser won't become mentally ill for at least 50, no make that 70 years, after the date of purchase?

Even then that doesn't address the folks that obtain fire arms illegally.

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I can't think of a single proposal that would address the folks that obtain fire arms illegally.

Edit: Or, in fact, the issue of people who were rational who become irrational and homicidal.

24. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I think it is far easier to take the guns away than it is to deny a purchase. To take the guns away, all you would need is a simple risk assessment criteria which is used as a baseline against the facts in question. For example, if the facts are that the subject of the enquiry is posting youtube videos about unleashing his vengeance upon the world and the subject is being treated for a mental illness or other condition then you would tick 'unacceptable risk' and take away the guns and take away the subject for more intense therapy/scrutiny. So long as your risk assessment criteria included a very low threshold for 'unacceptable risk' then it would work OK. Of course, the subject has to be reported in the first place in order for the assessment to be conducted.

25. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I just see that being a very bureaucratic process. And it's harder to flag those people without some ridiculous surveillance state put in place.