main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Halo is headed for the PC

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by tenorjedi, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    For those sick people that love their mouse :p

Microsoft Game Studios announced today development of the PC and Macintosh versions of the critically acclaimed Xbox first-person shooter, "Halo: Combat Evolved."

"We've been dying to play Halo online with a PC ever since its spectacular launch last year," said Gearbox Software President Randy Pitchford. "The team at Gearbox has the experience and the talent to not only bring Halo to the PC, but also to add enhancements that exploit the multiplayer capabilities that PCs are known for."

The Macintosh version of "Halo: Combat Evolved" will be developed by Westlake Interactive and published by Destineer, which has brought other top Microsoft games to the Macintosh including "Age of Empires II" and "Links Championship Edition." Development of the Macintosh versions of "Halo" will occur simultaneously with Gearbox's development of the PC version.

"Our goal is for Mac and Windows users to battle each other on foot, in vehicles, and in the air next summer when the best first-person shooter ever created comes to both Macintosh and Windows," according to Destineer President Peter Tamte.

So there ya go. It'll probably be 2003 before it's out, but now offically everyone gets to enjoy this game. Of course close to that time we'll be getting Halo II but that's another story.

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    So I take it this means the X-Box is'nt doing as well as they'd like.

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Suh-weet. Now I'll finally be able to play the damn thing.

4. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    No there were plans to sell this on the PC eventually. They just wanted it to get a good run on the box which it did, selling 1 million faster than any next gen game to date.

Their spending millions on the box so this isn't some effort to turn a profit prematurely.

This game does kick some arse. I wish I had my broadband right now cause I'd play through the gamespy tunnel. I just want all those PC junkies to see that they judged too quickly, simply because it was on a console.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I still don't really care about the game, whether it's on the X-Box or not, it's no Doom 3, Deus Ex 2 or Half Life 2.

It's a FPS. Pure and simple. And If you ask me it was all hype.

6. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    My points proven. Thank you

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Right.

First it was supposed to come out on Mac, then PC.

X-Box got in the way, though. ;)

8. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Halo=okay

Halo=not inovative or anything really new, doesnt mean halo=bad

Same reason serious sam co-op is fun , is the same reason halo will do fair on PC.

9. triggerfinger

triggerfinger Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Halo=KICK @$$

go to the halo 2 discussion thread to discuss halo 2

10. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Halo is one of the few cooperative console FPS games out there, plus it has good graphics, fun vehicles, and a sense of humor. I really you don't have to hit fifteen buttons to choose weapons, and you can't name your save file "Ouch, this really hurts..." but all the people slamming it that never tried it, you're just being silly. The PC isn't the be-all-end-all of gaming systems. I get so sick of the "If it's not PC, it's crap" arguement. Yes, the PC has its advantages, but so do consoles (I've never been asked to install Direct X 9.8057 on a console, and my console has the only video card it will ever need). The world is a better place with an open mind.

And I don't think Halo coming to the PC is a sign of the X-box's failure. It was originally slated for PCs, but Microsoft wanted it for the X-box, the company was kind of against it, so Microsoft bought the company. Viola.

11. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    The way I see it is, if it's not good enough, it's crap. When I see Halo, all I see is a glitzy engine and a game that could have been.

When I see Doom 3, I say, whoa, that's a game that could scare the shiRt out of me.

And when I see Deus Ex 2, I say, my God, that's the most realistic game I've ever seen.

All Halo is, is the best game on the X-Box, so yeah it's good, but it just can't compete with the incredible array of completely incredible games on and coming the PC.

Halo on X-Box = Groudbreaking.
    Halo on PC = Another FPS.

12. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Funny that, Doom3 and Deus Ex2 are both coming to X-Box.

Halo is good, in a console sort of way. No other first person shooter on a console (besides the great Goldeneye and possibly Timesplitters) plays so well.

On a PC, there is an opportunity to build on the existing model. Greater graphics, more levels, online play. The thing is, Halo challenges Counter-Strike more then Doom 3 because of the team play elements. Both Doom 3 and Halo are great games, in their own sort of way. Who wins out of that is up to the people who want to play them, it's their choice.

My money, however, is on both Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal 2 to seriously challenge Doom 3, maybe not in graphics, but gameplay. Doom 3 is unique in that it may not have tactical elements, but more then makes up for it with the fear factor. Unreal 2 is the perfect companion, really, for those looking for a strategy style of gameplay. I'll leave that argument up to you guys, but you can be sure both titles will be wonders to play.

13. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    but all the people slamming it that never tried it, you're just being silly. The PC isn't the be-all-end-all of gaming systems. I get so sick of the "If it's not PC, it's crap" arguement. Yes, the PC has its advantages, but so do consoles (I've never been asked to install Direct X 9.8057 on a console, and my console has the only video card it will ever need). The world is a better place with an open mind.

Have an X-box, with halo...

1. I played it on console, and yes omg I play PC's and I slam it, Why? there is nothing truly unique about it, doesnt mean it is bad but the fact they people think it is the bomb... for a console it is... for a person who has had a pc since 1997 sorry it is not.

2. You are just as bad as the people you are slaming for this, you assume we dont play it cause we dont like it, GUESS WHAT NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE SAME THING OMG!!

Deus Ex is 10X the game halo is but... you dont see me insulting or getting mad at them.

Fact is with a console game.. I beat it I am done with it, I cant edit the world, I cant change the physics of the guns nothing.... gamespy tunnel helps but the fact I have to bend over backwards doesnt really help that fact when I have a PC already hooked up for the purpose of that.

And on UT2003.... It might be good, I still havent played it. Look at unreal.. then look at UT, if it follows UT the way UT followed unreal.. well :D, if not oh well.

14. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Well, I suppose us PC people have got a level editor and SDK to look forward to.

15. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    AA owns games. Just accept it.

That was a heckuva argument AA, and I agree 100%. :)

16. Gohan

Gohan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2001
    Halo is one of the best console games to come out in a while, both in terms of single-player and multiplayer.

However, that being said, if you compare it to the PC, it is basically just another run-of-the-mill FPS.

17. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    If someone's actually played it and given it fair shot, and didn't like it, that's cool, but to say it doesn't compare to games that aren't even out yet, that's close minded IMO. I guess your experience on FPS on the PC depend on how good your PC is. On a celeron with dial up it's just not that much fun.

18. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Halo had one cool feature, cooperative MP. IF they keep it on the PC it will rock your cyberworld and mine. ;) Otherwise it really isn't anything special when compared to the established FPS games already out there (ie JO, MOHAA, RTCW, CS, SOF2, etc etc etc).

19. Pancrase

Pancrase Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2001
    Most of the people I have noticed who don't think Halo is that good, usually only played the first few levels at the most.

If you play the entire game, it is awesome.

The story itself is better then almost anything out there.

The graphics and lack of laod time will rival any game out there.

The game is not just a shoot a gun until you win type of game.

Unlike most games, where you can carry a bunch of guns at all times, you really have to plan in this game to carry the two guns that matter. In the hardest gameplay modes, then really shows.

Also, I have noticed with many FPS that their really isn't much brain power to beating the game. In Halo, it takes a true strategy to get by some of the sections within the game. Because of this, it makes it one of the best games out there. PC or not.

20. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I think that saying most FPS don't take brains to play is a little overstated. If you want a challenging FPS that takes some brains to beat, play JO. Very tough!

SOF2 is also a challenging game in its own right. You try sneaking around a level without getting caught by random guards and see how long you last. I am referring to the train station and I must say that it took a few save/loads to beat that one and I didn't get to fire a single shot. Plus in SOF2 you can only take so many weapons. Like in Halo, it is important that you take a weapon that will help you and not just the one with the fastest fire rate and most bullets.

MOHAA is also a challenging game that has a wonderful story line. The sniper level is one that takes some brains because you need to try and figure out where many of those snipers are. In my case I had to basically look around and decide where I would be if I were the BOT sniper. It worked in many cases but it was challenging nonetheless.

RTCW is also challenging and a little more then simply shooting em up.

I have gone on long enough but I just wont stand by and hear someone say that Halo is one of the only challenging and strategic FPS games out there. I'm not trying to bash you or anything but I am suggesting that you shouldn't generalize the FPS genre too much.

21. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    bwwhaa, now the xbox has NOTHING exclusive thats worth playing

22. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Now all you need to add is "GAMECUBE ROXS, XBOX SUKS" :p

View one of the many threads for games on the Xbox. Halo 2 will be online KOTOR, SW Galaxies, Jedi Outcast, Project Gotham 2, Brute Force, Jedi Starfighter, Morrowind, Project Ego, Ninja Gaiden, DOA3/Volleyball. The list goes on and on. Every system only launches with a few good titles. It takes years to get the best titles out there.

23. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    now i know KOTOR, SW Galaxies, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Starfighter are not exclusives (probably more)

24. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    You see, all you need to be a happy gamer these days is a GameCube and a nice PC.

25. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    KOTOR is exclusive. It's going to the PC but most successful exclusive console games do go to the PC. In fact Nintendo's 1st party titles are the only ones that don't. Those are just some of the games worth playing btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.