main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han's vanishing/reappearing jacket in ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by captain Tarpols, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captain Tarpols

captain Tarpols Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey guys - on another forum I go to no one will believe me about the Han's jacket blooper right before he gets frozen into carbonite. He is wearing a white shirt - then in the close-ups of him , like when he says "I know," he looks like he is wearing a jacket.

Does anyone have a screen cap of this? And of how they changed it for the recent editions?

That would be much appreciated.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I've read that in actuality the jacket blooper is not a blooper--its a shadow being cast by one of the lights that just happens to fall in the shape of what his vest, had he been wearing it. Its only the closeup that it appears in, i think. I tend to believe this--i mean why would he be wearing the vest in the closeup? The closeup shots were all done latter in the scene anyway--his vest probably wouldnt have even been on set. Certainly Harrison, Carrie, Kershner or any of the dozens of actors and warbrobe people on set for that shot would have said "wait a minute, why is Harrison putting his vest on for the closeup if we've been shooting this scene all day with just his shirt?" I cant remember where i read this though but i think it was an official source. It DOES really look like he is wearing his vest though. For the DVD they just painted the black splotch that is either the vest or a shadow white.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I noticed that years ago. It's called a continuity mistake. There were probably several different takes over a few days and the director and/or costume guy forgot what Harrison Ford was wearing. Happends all the time in movies.

4. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    QFT.

5. captain Tarpols

captain Tarpols Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 1999
    I guess there is no definite answer? some say shadow some say continuity error - which is it?

In any event, do any of you have a screenshot of it? :)

6. BobaFett_v2

BobaFett_v2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2005
    hoi!!!

the jacket IS NOT THERE!!

its a shadow..there is no way lucas or ford or anyone there is that demented..

sumone in another thread posted a clip of the filming and it shows harrison talking and he has no jacket and then he turns to face the camera and the shadowing makes it appear the jacket is on..

please sumone find that clip..i cant beleive how ppl could possible think that EVRYONE there filming didnt say.."hey u shudnt be wearing a jacket!!!"

think sensibly

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I was positive for the longest time that it was a vest or jacket. It looks like something material, and the dividing line was way too sharp. But as mentioned by the above poster, one of the clips in, I believe, Empire of Dreams, has a shot of Han clearly with just the shirt, then taking a step back and voila - the "vest" is there.

8. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Why would he be wearing a vest that he never donned in ESB? I've seen a slow-motion of it somewhere that shows clearly that it is a light-effect.

Anyway, one can believe anything after Carrie's unexplained change of wardrobe. And the white jumpsuit can't be a light-effect over the red pant-suit!

9. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Captain Tarpols, check out this site for a full list of changes to ESB, including Han's shirt.[face_peace]

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    There is no way that's a shadow. Look at either side of Ford's shoulder. The same 'shadow' on either side of Ford's shoulder? Not buying it. If one side were white, and one side dark. I would believe that. It's a vest, or the Jacket he wore during the film. Look to the right of the shot and you see a darker gap between the shirt collar and the 'shadow'. And no shadow has a Navy Blue tint to it. It's a jacket, or vest.

11. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999

As the linked webpage says, there is a behind-the-scenes clip of the filming of this scene in the documentary When Star Wars Ruled The World. I have this documentary, and can confirm that it plays out exactly as described - Han is wearing a white shirt, steps back to his marker and presto instant shadows.

It is definitely, and without a doubt, simply a shadow.

12. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

No shadow has a Navy Blue tint to it?

Take a look at Leia in that scene. Do you think anybody has a face that red?

For the record, the shadow is on BOTH shoulders because of the light source that is BELOW him.

This MYTH is almost as annoying as the Richard Gere/gerbil story that won't go away.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree that it was just a shadow. The behind the scene footage in "Empire of Dreams" confirms this.

And no shadow has a Navy Blue tint to it. It's a jacket, or vest.

As an art student, I'm gonna have to disagree with you and say that's wrong. Depending on the lighting and the color of the original object, a shadow can take on just about any tone you can think of. Right now I'm looking at shadows on my wall that have a reddish and yellowish tint and yup, even navy blue in the darker areas.

14. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
  15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I sure hope this proof puts this to rest once and for all! [face_praying]

16. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I believe it's a blooper dude...it's ok. The gungans were bloopers too, but we shouldn't not enjoy the movies because of it you know? That scene with the "I know" is still AWESOME!!!

17. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Tweakpiece, did you not even see the link above? If anything it's a lighting error.

18. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    [image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/images/cut_scenes/trash_compactor/missing_vest.gif]

I can't understand a few things:

-Why this has always been such a huge deal, even if he WAS wearing the jacket
    -He wasn't wearing the jacket in the scenes leading up to this scene OR in this scene itself...so why on Earth would he have had it on in this shot?
    -Why do people STILL want to believe he's wearing the jacket? Are you that proud that you can't even admit your belief was wrong on something as trivial as THIS?

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, you know how us fans take our Star Wars too seriously sometimes... [face_whistling]

20. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I felt exactly the same way about it. I would have bet big money for the longest time that Han was wearing something over his white shirt in those two close-ups. But as evidenced recently with Empire of Dreams, as Obi-Wan would say, "I was wrong".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.