main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Harry Potter] Fields of Gold - A Remus/Lily (sort of) song-fic

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lane_Winree, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Disclaimer: Though I love this fandom, I do not own Harry Potter. Thanks to JK Rowling. "Fields of Gold" was written and performed by Sting.

A note from the author: The backstory behind this fic is a little odd. About a year ago a friend of mine challenged me to write for a ship I wasn't all that familiar or comfortable with, Remus and Lily. For several days I wasn't quite sure how to attack a shortfic revolving around a hypothetical relationship between these two characters. More than anything else, I wanted to write something that could still fit within the canon.

About a week after I was issued the challenge I was listening to my iTunes playlist on shuffle. At that point, "Fields of Gold" by Sting came up on the playlist. Things fell into place quickly after that.

This isn't a ship that I would call my favorite, but it was enjoyable to write. I don't normally share fics that I use as more of a writing exercise, but this one is an exception. I hope you all enjoy it.

Fields of Gold

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
    Upon the fields of barley
    You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
    As we walk in the fields of gold

Remus was burning the midnight oil again. It seemed like every night for the last few weeks he was up late working on an extended writing assignment. Yesterday it was an analysis of the moons of Jupiter for Astronomy. The day before it was an explanation of the various uses of Fanged Geraniums. The week prior had been devoted to a rather lengthy assignment covering various goblin rebellions over the years. Tonight it was a three scroll critical analysis of Staghorns and their use in medicinal potions. As near as He could tell, Staghorns had exactly one use in medicinal potions and that single use wasn't particularly noteworthy. He bitterly noted that it was going to take a small miracle to fill up three scrolls for this assignment.

As he set one dusty book borrowed from the Hogwarts to the library to the side, Remus heaved a sigh. He wouldn't be seeing his bed anytime soon at this rate. He reached for another book at the center of the table he was sitting at. Just as he was about to close his fingers around the book's spine, another hand brushed against his.

"Oh!" Lily exclaimed, surprised by the sudden contact. "Sorry, Remus. I didn't realize you needed that book."

"Just for a moment," Remus said, withdrawing his hand quickly. "I wanted to cross-check a few facts."

Well, he said to himself, at least I have company tonight.

Lily handed him the book, "Honestly I can't believe we're researching Staghorns. I can't name a more useless ingredient."

"I personally believe that all potion professors are bitter because they didn't find more lucrative work for the Ministry," Remus said. "Their only recourse is to assign multi-scroll research topics to their students as a way to share their misery with the general public."

Lily covered her mouth with the back of her hand as she tried to stifle a laugh. It was late, and it wouldn't be prudent to wake the other students, "Now Remus, you know that's not true."

"It's plausible," Remus said with a half-smile.

"Plausible, but unlikely," Lily replied. "Say ?"

"Hm?" he asked as he thumbed through the pages of the old book.

Lily shook her head, "Oh, nothing."

He looked up from the book, raising a brow, "Something on your mind?"

"I was just wondering if you were planning to go to Hogsmeade next week," Lily said, leaning back in her chair.

He shrugged, "I don't think so. I've got a four-scroll assignment for Transfiguration that I haven't started on yet and-"

"Remus," Lily cast him a stern look, "You spend more time on your studies than I do, and that's saying something. Please, take a day off. Why don't you meet me at the Three Broomsticks?"

"Lily, you know I can't," he could feel himself blushing. What was Lily getting at? "Besides, James would-"

"Forget about James for a moment, would you?" Lily folded her arms. "You need some time off, and we're friends, right? I can't think of anything wrong with two friends enjoying some B

2. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Oh wow. Remus is so noble there. And so loyal. The scene in the graveyard nearly brought tears to my eyes. Wonderful piece. =D=

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh wow. Beautifully done!

4. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words! I don't often dabble in the HP fandom, but when I do I enjoy writing from Remus' perspective.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh wow, I love this. It just keeps getting better and better!! I loved the last bit of Lily and Remus together, and then I got chills when he was visitng her grave. And the parting line was so perfect!!

The song fit very nicely too - I haven't heard it before, but the lyrics are pretty, and they fit well with the story!

I just all-around love it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.