main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has the Clone Wars ruined Obi Wans credibilty?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ryan Looney, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ryan Looney

Ryan Looney Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2014
    I would say that I am a fan of The Clone Wars and Clone Wars(micro series) for the most part. One thing that bothers me and I mean REALLY bothers me is the way Obi Wan was handled. This guy gets his ass handed to him over and over again. Whats worse is that bringing Darth Maul back completely robs him of one of his greatest victories. Lets see here....He cuts Maul in half and hes still alive. He fights Jango Fett on Kamino, Jango escapes. He cuts Durge in half and then blows him up, Durge is still alive. He fights Dooku numerous times, never wins. Grevious escapes over and over again, Obi Wan finally nails him in Ep. 3 (SCORE 1 for OBI) He fights Anakin and leaves him for dead, Anakin aka Darth Vader is still alive and kills him 20 years later. I know that I included some examples of the movies as well but it would just be nice to see Obi Wan actually put an enemy down for good on more than one occasion. As it is now it just seems that he fails more than he actually succeeds. I still believe that he needs to be the one to finally put Maul down once and for all. Hopefully we will get the change to see that someday.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    At least I like the TCW Obi-Wan. TCW has made me a small Obi-Wan fan. Before I didn't like him very much because of the prequels.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I liked Obi Wan beforehand and I liked him even more because of TCW. We get to see more of his character. Plus I really used to want a green lightsaber...Obi Wan really made me want a blue one now! haha

4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan is my favourite character but TCW made me like him even more.

Obi-Wan doesn't like to kill if he can help it. He does if he is forced to. Yes, he had his Maul kill taken away from him, but he did still defeat him and I think that should be noted. And he survived three lightsaber duels with him. I'm sure that if the show hadn't been cancelled, that hopefully Obi-Wan would have got that kill back again. I liked how TCW expanded Obi-Wan's character - it showed us more of the respectable Jedi Master and it also gave us an insight into how strong a friendship he had with Anakin. He may have got beaten up (Season 4 being 'lets torture Obi-Wan' season) but a lot of that was down to plot. I don't think TCW ruined his credibility - he did have some brilliant moments. I would say his dual with Maul and Savage in Revival is probably one of the best showings he was given in TCW.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well he went from being a Sith Killer to a Non Sith Killer so answer is right there :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Nope. I love that Obi-Wan's not a warrior at heart. The ones that aren't credible in TCW for me are: Yoda and Anakin. I already didn't like them now I like them even less.

7. Ryu Soma

Ryu Soma Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2014
    As hlc88 stated it, Obiwan doesn't like to kill and avoid it if he can. It shows you how much Anakin and Obiwan are so different. I don't think Clone Wars portraited him as a looser. I remember him kicking the ass of both Darth Maul and Savage Oppress, which was an impressive feat and while he doesn't kill Grievous in TCW, he still wins every fights against him. Actually, Clone Wars made me love this character, especially his love-relationship with Satine. And again, the serie shows how Anakin and Obiwan are so different. When Satine dies, Obiwan does not go into a full killing/genocide rampage. I like that contrast between those two characters. Obiwan is much wiser, calm, peaceful than Anakin who actually really seems to enjoy the war going on.

One thing that just puzzles me is the way how every Anakin/Obiwan fights versus Dooku starts each time by Obiwan getting owned, and then it's a Anakin Vs Dooku.

hlc88 likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why? Anakin and Dooku are the ones inclined to combat. Dooku is the reasoned and skilled one, Anakin is the brash, raw one that doesn't think. Obi-Wan is reasoned and skilled but disinclined. Plus, TCW is clearly just trying to fix the PTs errors and making Anakin the 'hero'. Which I think they failed at miserably.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just because Obi-Wan is not inclined toward combat doesn't mean he cannot hold his own when faced with confrontation. But really, that has nothing to do with his "losses", anyway, and it certainly doesn't ruin his credibility as a capable Jedi or warrior. It's not always about winning. In fact, it's not even a Jedi's goal to "win", per se, but more to uphold their ideals of peace and prosperity. The CIS gets in the way of this ideal, and thus it's the moral obligation of the Jedi to act in opposition to the goals of Dooku, Grievous, etc.

In the case of Obi-Wan, we're dealing with one of the most pristine members of the Jedi Order. They guy really abhors violence, and this aspect of his self actually comes out more and more as the war progresses. He sees all the wanton destruction around him and shakes his head. We even see this in the show, whenever he shows his disapproval of Anakin's more drastic approaches to dealing with Separatists and other enemies of the Republic.

So, if you're looking for examples of Obi-Wan's prowess as a warrior, you're looking at the wrong character. For Obi-Wan, to kill his opponent is to lose. His fight with Vader is actually the best example. Both of them really. He knows he has to stop Vader at all costs, except Vader's own life. Even at the end of their first duel where it would have been a mercy killing, Obi-Wan holds back because that's just not him. In reality he encompasses the ideals of the Jedi far better than any of his contemporaries, and isn't really matched until Luke reaches knighthood himself.

One of the Republic comic storylines was really great for this. The story Obsession took place towards the end of the war, and in it Obi-Wan uses every opportunity in his interactions with Asajj Ventress to try to help her see the light and break free from Dooku's dark influence. Even after all she'd done over the course of the war, the countless deaths she'd caused, the role she played as Dooku's henchwoman, he still believed in her, and the last thing on his mind was killing her. Obi-Wan sees evil as merely corrupted light. He only looses faith with Anakin because of how much more personal that was for him. It nearly breaks him, and it does break his faith in redemption, but not his faith in life. He knows killing never really solves anything. That's also why he earned the nickname "The Negotiator". I mean yeah, he's a Jedi, he's trained in a variety of combat practices and is pretty damn masterful of those fighting arts, but for him they're always his second choice for dealing with a situation.

Basically, he doesn't fail more than he succeeds. It's quite the opposite. And as a matter of fact, his death blow to Maul was much more of a failure than a success, regardless of Maul's eventual fate, if only because in that moment, in order to reach the level where he could beat Maul, he nearly gave in to the Dark Side. He set aside his principles of non-violence, and I like to think he used that particular failure as a learning experience, influencing his future character in spades.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't he get creamed like 5 times in Season 4 alone? That was absurd.
    Still steamed about the Maul thing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Anakin loves war and killing. I think that's the point.

12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like Obi-Wan less in TCW. Mostly because he seems overly sarcastic and sassy. There's a time and place for wise cracks; I don't think getting the **** beat out of you by a PO'd Sith Lord is one of them..

Lost credibility? No. I don't buy that whole "Maul being alive takes away from Obi-Wan's victory/ Knighthood" thing. He's one person I hope doesn't finish Maul.

cwustudent likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish they didn't have Obi-Wan and Grievous meeting in the series.

14. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Lets take a look at why he got creamed in Season 4. I think it is more down to plot then because he is weak.

Kidnapped - Beaten up by D'Nar, but Obi-Wan allowed it to happen to buy Anakin and Ahsoka time to disarm the bombs. This is clear from the dialogue Obi-Wan muttered. Does this still count as being creamed considering it was intentional on his part?

Slaves of the Republic - Got captured, got tortured for information. That counts.

Escape from Kadavo - He's there as a slave. Not entirely sure what he can do about his situation without endangering the other slaves so he takes it. Though he quickly got the slave collar off when he had the chance to, it wasn't a risk he could take until the Republic arrived.

Nothing really jumps out at me in the Hardeen arc apart from being beaten up by Anakin, and he is trying not to hurt him, whereas Anakin wants to kill the man who he thinks killed Obi-Wan.

Revenge - Maul and Savage creamed him twice in this episode. First time, he was caught off by Savage appearing when all Obi-Wan was expecting was Maul. Maul is after him so he is distracted by Maul and not focusing as much on defending against Savage allowing Savage to use his brute strength against Obi-Wan and disarm him. Second time, he was a prisoner with no lightsaber. Then he fought back, while still getting hurt fighting Maul, but after the vicious beating he had already received in that episode, I can see why he wasn't at full strength.

So for me, as long as you look deeper into why Season 4 was a rough season for him, there are logical reasons as to why he did get beaten up a lot and appeared weak.

The only problem with that is it slightly contradicts ROTS. In ROTS when he and Anakin are captured trying to rescue the Chancellor, Grievous clearly knows Obi-Wan, judging by the dialogue that is said, whereas Grievous does not know Anakin personally. Then when Obi-Wan is on Utapau, Grievous pulls out his 4 lightsabers and proclaims that he has been trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku etc... but for me, that first scene back at the start of the film, implies to me that Grievous and Obi-Wan have faced one another throughout the Clone Wars. In my mind, Lucas contradicted himself in the same film. All they need to do, is record new Grievous dialogue for the Utapau scene and it fits.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's my take on it. I seem to remember some discussion during or just after season 4 about fans asking for more Obi-Wan, and Filoni's answer being, "You want more Obi-Wan? I'll give you more Obi-Wan. LOL."

I don't think the show ruined his credibility though.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I can take some punishment of the characters but that season was ridiculous for him.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Other than being an Obi-Wan bash fic at times, brutally beating him, inflicting max misery and pain, making him subordinate to his apprentice and his apprentice's apprentice, and giving him a lover for some stupid reason, I don't think TCW has the power to ruin what was established for Obi-Wan over the course of six movies.

They sure didn't do his character justice, however.

18. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    No, it didn't ruin Obi-Wan's credibility, because he never was credible to begin with.

I mean, in the OT he was introduced as a "slightly" embittered old man, who talked in half-truths, meant to groom Luke to unknowingly kill his own father, then tried to convince Luke to knowingly kill his father, and even when he was called on these, he reasoned that there's no hope for Anakin anyway.
    Those are the words, behavior and actions of a man whose life was nothing but failures after failures. The PT and TCW are simply showing these failures that shaped him into bitter, old Ben.

minnishe likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow.

I suppose he was supposed to anticipate that Vader could be redeemed after watching him murder small children who were asking him for help and watching him choke his pregnant wife into unconsciousness. Not to mention the fact that never in the history of the Jedi Order had a Sith returned to the Light Side.

I'm glad Vader did come back, that was the event that made me a Star Wars fan, but I can hardly blame Obi-Wan for not seeing that coming, and for wanting to take the next best option and put a stop to the horror that Vader had unleashed on the galaxy.

And failure? Really? Is it now Obi-Wan's fault that Anakin turned?

There was a time when I considered putting "it's all Obi-Wan's fault!" in my signature after a very long convoluted thread in which Obi-Wan got blamed for Satine's death, Grievous and Dooku escaping, and Anakin eating too many sliders and forgetting to pack the Immodium AD.

I have a feeling that I may be ready for that again as this thread runs its course.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

It's not Obi-Wan's fault that it's always his fault :p

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I feel like "He's jealous! He's holding me back!" is the real gem. Kinda makes me wish I had someone in my life who was jealous and holding me back, just so I could say that to them, but gladly/sadly I do not.

I'm kinda starting to like PT Anakin now that I see his most cringe-worthy dialogue as silly, totally not serious punch-lines.

"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"

LOL!

What a gag.

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't understand how Maul surviving robs Obi-Wan of anything, he still won the duel. Just like Vader still handed Luke his butt on Cloud City, and Dooku still beat both Anakin and Obi-Wan on Geonosis, etc. Not killing a person really has nothing to do with skill level. TCW didn't ruin him for me at all; he's still just as good as he's always been, and still one of the greatest Jedi to have ever lived.

Circular Logic likes this.
  23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Someone needs to edit together all of Obi-Wan's beatdown scenes into one big pummelfest and stick it on youtube.

I'd do it if I could remember where they all were.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be one hell of a long video.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Would be a fun video though