main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Holonet News

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Sep 8, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Im happy to grant you that I'm uncultured, but I knew that's what Jafar was--I just never got the distinction between what Pestsge was in the EU and what Amedda was after RotS.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Oh awesome, we've got Vizier Jafar Amedda now! I can't wait until he goes looking for that diamond in the rough Ezra!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: dangit late!!!:p

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Unless I'm mistaken, in the Legendsverse, Amedda was still the Senate's Vice Chair after ROTS. Which means he chaired the Senate meetings in Palpatine's stead.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think the guy who wrote The Secret History of Star Wars looked into it, and does think it was actually shot, but that any footage or even the ID of Pestage doesn't exist any more.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, interesting that you say that Coop -- because Amedda's role as vice chancellor is strikingly like the Leader of the House of Commons. That position tends to be combined with the President of the Privy Council (Dangor) and the Lord Privy Seal (Pestage). Not a one of them was described using those British titles of course, but those were what they'd have been called based on their roles or duties.

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Who is the Ars Dangor of which you speak?

:p

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    He's called Sate Molock in the first draft to have the scene. Later drafts with the scene call him Sate Pestage.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I disagree--that's not interesting at all.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    :)

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Mas Amedda could've been removed or stood down as Grand Vizier by the time of the Battle of Hoth and Sate Pestage took over. Or they could've both held the position.

Barriss_Coffee and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Maybe he'll get killed off in Rebels?

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Amedda and Pestage have always been the same character in all but name, so I don't see any problem with giving Amedda Pestage's role in the new canon.

darthzac14 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [face_tee_hee]

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Switching off like musical chairs? In the old EU, Pestage is vizier immediately after ROTS.

They exist side by side in Plagueis :p

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Death Star Owner's Workshop Manual was I think one of the last "old EU" sources- and it had a message from him to Tarkin.

Maybe it'll be one of the first sources they draw on for the "new EU"? It would be nice to think that Luceno had it to hand when writing the Tarkin novel.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, was he in it? Dangor got a mention in Warfare, which was the first reference he had since WEG. If he was in the Death Star book, I might've checked it out. Wonder if it was any different from his letters to Tarkin in WEG's DSTC.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've never read DSTC, so I wouldn't know - but I would guess it was the same, and that the authors drew heavily on it when writing their own book.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    According to the Zare Leonis books and "Breaking Ranks", the Empire is looking for Kyber Crystals.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Please use spoiler tags when discussing unaired episodes, especially outside of the dedicated Rebels thread.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hooooooo...........
    Very interesting.

...........though I get the feeling those will be the macguffin of choice for some time to come.....

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Does anyone who lived in the 90s remember when those were all the rage in fanfic? I feel like this is one of those retro movements where something is suddenly a fad again but the cool kids doing it now think they made it popular first.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I like that they're just for targeting or whatever now rather than, like, "it shoots through the Force!!"

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I agree with Imperial sexism being a little weird, but I think Imperial anti-alien sentiment is a valuable part of what makes them evil. And hasn't it actually been referenced a few times in the new canon, anyway?

Mas Amedda is clearly just One of the Good Ones. And I'll bet a good portion of the Imperial power structure secretly resents that a no-account alien outranks them, but doesn't say anything out of fear of incurring Palpatine's wrath.

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I disagree, since it makes no sense with regards to the movies, where aliens are on both the good and bad side in the CW and since the Empire is meant to encompass everyone. Everyone is a potential threat to the heroes.

"Where are you taking this... thing?"
    Lore writers in the late-80s took that one scene and made it valid for everything Imperial later on.
    I'm surprised they didn't take the scene with Garindan and made all his people Imperial spies in the process. They did something similar with the Bothans, so why not?

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Xenophobia is a pretty major element of Edge of the Galaxy, but it seems to be less a matter of official policy and more a matter of allowing it where it appears.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.