main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Homosexuality: What's up with that? (V.2)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CwrnPuppet, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Most of the issues here have to do with people's perceptions of gays. That they're perverted and mis-lead. I don't know how many people have told me that I'm gay cause I haven't met the right woman yet.

And this issue won't stop becoming an issue for a long time, I'd say 2 to 3 generations because people have and are growing up with the same thing hammered into their head-- homosexuality is bad. That's not gonna change without alot of understanding, which isn't going to happen soon, sadly.

2. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I don't know how many people have told me that I'm gay cause I haven't met the right woman yet.

Yeah. I love that one. So... if straight guys don't meet this magical "right woman", they all become gay?

Give me a break.

3. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Ah, here's my point-- look at all the contradictions that people against gays make. It only proves that they have no argument, they're only acting on what they were taught-- throwing rationality out the window.

And that's a real probelm. I'm a teacher, and I keep it a secret that I'm gay because I'm concerned with keeping my job and not having people's perceptions of me clouded by prejudice. If you're the greatest teacher in the world-- but gay, people won't care, they don't want their children around such people.

EDIT: Spelling and adding new material

4. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I wouldn't know the first thing about what crwn and stevo said. Becuase I am not a homosexual, but I am for homosexual's right to get married, adopt a child, and have all benefits that a "normal" married cou ple recieves. I do think that it is sad that homosexuals face such trama for a lifestyle that they chose. And the worst part about it is that the choice they made, doesn't hurt anybody. It realy makes me upset that children are brainwashed into believing that "homosexuality is wrong". Just another bit of evidence that people are unwilling to accept people that are different. I read in an article that aprox. 83% of all male Americans (meaning United States citizens) that are homophbic, are so because of their parents, and the media. This is really sad. THe media even says to us that being a homosexual is wrong. Well I say balogne! That really makes me mad. It is their choice. Lets leave it at that. The funny part about it is that the some of the same people who say that being a homosexual is bad, are the same people who think that killing a baby is okay. And being a homosexual isn't killing anyone.

5. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    It angers me that you are forced to hide your sexuality in order to maintain your job. I think that there are times when I take for granted that there isn't much risk of that being an issue in my profession.

Either way, you're right: The anti-gay mission seems to contradict itself left and right.

In all honesty, I wish that people would stop hiding behind religion as an excuse to be homophobic. I would rather someone said "I hate gays because what they do is gross" than "I hate gays because God told me to."

If you're going to hate someone for any reason, at least be honest about those reasons.

6. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The funny part about it is that the same people who say that being a homosexual is bad, are the same people who think that killing a baby is okay. And being a homosexual isn't killing anyone.

Ok, first off, I am pro-choice. And I have nothing against gays having rights, I simply find their lifestyle gross, but it is their choice, if they want to do that in their bedrooms. So are you saying everyone who is pro-choice is homophobic, or are you just being sarcastic?

7. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    The funny part about it is that the same people who say that being a homosexual is bad, are the same people who think that killing a baby is okay. And being a homosexual isn't killing anyone.

I don't really think that this is the case. The majority of anti-gay people are Christians and the majority of Christians are pro-life.

8. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Hate is hardly ever justified.

I struggled for years to find out why they people hated gays. Because gays were different from them? Because god told them to?-- if she did tell them to, you can set to fire the whole "Love thy neighbor" rule. And I realized, they hate gays out of ignorance.

9. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    No rebecca, I said that SOME of the people who are anti-gay rights, are the same people who are pro-abortion. I was not trying to put anyone who is pro-abortion in any way. I appologize if I offended you. I just find it odd that they say that taking away a potential or existing life is against someone living their life in happiness. All in all I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: Crwn, thats not true. I know many non-religous people that are anti-gay rights. I believe that most people are homophobic because of the media.

10. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Ignorance is the only explanation that makes any sense to me. It's similar to racism in that way: People were taught to be racists and/or have never met anyone who wasn't white. They fear difference because they fear the unknown.

11. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    They hate because they were taught to, and don't challenge their beliefs because they were never taught to challenge what they were told.

Which is why- IMHO- I should challenge their ignorance.

EDIT: And I do realize that I am being very repetitive.

12. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Crwn, thats not true. I know many non-religous people that are anti-gay rights. I believe that most people are homophobic because of the media.

I've met a lot of homophobic people and every single one of them was a Christian. I don't doubt that there are homophobic non-religious people, but I would venture to guess that they are far out-numbered by their religious counterparts.

As for the media...

Sorry, but I don't really see all that much homophobia there. With the exception of Rush Limbaugh, what other media outlets are homophobic?

13. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    That may be true crwn. On to the media. Have you watched TV sitcoms lately? Even shows such as the Simpsons make little points and bashes at the homosexual community. Homophobia is everywhere in the media. Just watch TV for a little bit watching sitcoms and you will see little pokes and stabs every now and then.

14. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Ugh!, I always hate this "tyranny of the majority" stuff that is dished out.
    A long time ago, the majority of people believe homosexuality to be wrong, to tolerate it would mean excommunication or worse from whatever group you are a part of. NOW, the majority of people believe, or I should say, tolerate, homosexuals (at least where I am, I suppose). To think otherwise doesn't necessarily mean excommunication, but you could get yelled at, called a bigot etc. But where am I going with this? Well in this grand country we call America, where beliefs are supposed to be tolerated, can't I dislike gays for religious reasons without people calling me an intolerant bigot? Can't I think them less them human? Some genetic abberation? Someone with some deep-seated pyschological problems? Can't I think these things without having to be called evil, misinformed, an A**, or any other expletive? I should, and if I believe these things or not doesn't matter over-much.
    I am merely saying that even though we have rights to think and feel as we please, and to talk them over, try to influence others etc., as long as we don't infringe on their rights, but the latter happens way to often.
    But so often is the case with those in the minority i.e. those who believe homosexuality to be wrong, the people who tout tolerance and acceptance etc. (the majority), can't and most often won't even tolerate the opposing side, so hypocracy spews from their mouths in a holier-than-thou tone with self-righteousness in every letter of the word. I find this incredibly disgusting, and cannot stand these sort of people.
    I'll tolerate you if you tolerate me, but that, I am afraid, will not happen.

Ciou-See the Sig

15. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Could you give some exaples of Simpsons episodes that have taken jabs at homoesxuality? I'm just a little confused, as I really haven't seen this at all.

16. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Even shows such as the Simpsons make little points and bashes at the homosexual community.

Simpsons? Simpsons has been one of the most gay-positive prime-time shows in history.

Homophobia is everywhere in the media.

Not really much more than pro-gay things in the media, if you ask me.

Just watch TV for a little bit watching sitcoms and you will see little pokes and stabs every now and then.

What are these little pokes and jabs? If you're saying that things such as Smithers and his love for Mr. Burns, I wouldn't call that a poke or a jab - it's just humor. The joke is that he's in the closet.

17. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    I will agree, but there is a lot of homophobic comedy in the media. I admit I took it a little overboard there. I appoligize. But back to the marriage and Boy scouts issue. That is much easier to debate!

18. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Well. . . its kinda hard to debate something when everybody here more or less shares the same view about the subject.

19. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Ugh!, I always hate this "tyranny of the majority" stuff that is dished out.

What "tyranny of the majority" stuff?

A long time ago, the majority of people believe homosexuality to be wrong, to tolerate it would mean excommunication or worse from whatever group you are a part of. NOW, the majority of people believe, or I should say, tolerate, homosexuals (at least where I am, I suppose).

Yeah, some progress has been made.

To think otherwise doesn't necessarily mean excommunication, but you could get yelled at, called a bigot etc.

Dear God, life is hard.

But where am I going with this? Well in this grand country we call America, where beliefs are supposed to be tolerated, can't I dislike gays for religious reasons without people calling me an intolerant bigot?

Just as you have the right to dislike gays, people have the right to call you an intolerant bigot. Cope.

Can't I think them less them human? Some genetic abberation? Someone with some deep-seated pyschological problems?

Go for it: Although it isn't likely to score you an humanity points in the process.

Can't I think these things without having to be called evil, misinformed, an A**, or any other expletive? I should, and if I believe these things or not doesn't matter over-much.

One good turn deserves another.

But so often is the case with those in the minority i.e. those who believe homosexuality to be wrong,

Are these people really in the minority? If that were the case, I would think life would be a lot more pleasant for homosexuals.

the people who tout tolerance and acceptance etc. (the majority), can't and most often won't even tolerate the opposing side, so hypocracy spews from their mouths in a holier-than-thou tone with self-righteousness in every letter of the word.

They're only responding to hatred or, if we want to be mre nice about it; they're only responding to a statement with which they disagree.

I find this incredibly disgusting, and cannot stand these sort of people.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that you've made a lot of sense in your post. I had a hard time piecing it together, to be honest.

Regardless, if every homophobe was of the opinion that they would tolerate homosexuals and their legal rights in order to preserve their own, we wouldn't really have a problem.

20. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    No, there were some people that were posting against the our point. But I suppose that you are right. So what should we talk about? I KNOW!! Lets talk about Homosexuals in the Military! I think that they should be allowed for the reasons that they could be just as good as a soldier as anyone.

21. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    I really don't see why homosexuals (or anyone, for that matter) would really WANT to be in the military - but if that's your thing: go for it. Hell, at least gay guys wouldn't have gotten all those women pregnant in the Vietnam war...

22. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    I agree, I would never join the military, but I think that anyone that wants to should be allowed to!

23. stevo

Aug 14, 2001

I'm confused . . . If you were to tolerate gays, wouldn't that just destroy everything you just typed above? And if how can gays tolerate somebody that says they're a freak of nature. . . your post seems a bit fractured.

EDIT: I agree, why couldn't gays join the military? If I wanted to join(which I did for a very long time) I wouldn't want such trivial things such as sexuality to get in my way.

24. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    You know... I hate to say this, but it's been my repeated experience that a lot of homophobes have a hard time with English grammar and spelling. Hmmmmm...

25. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    That may be true, but I have a hard time with spelling and grammar (sometimes) but I am not a homophobe. But yes, I have noticed it also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.