main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD How did Palpy really control the senate and any moral lessons for us?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Saruman, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Saruman

Darth_Saruman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    Was it through Sith mind tricks on the weak minded?
    Was it through bribes taken from the Republic Treasury?
    Was it through the Naboo Treasury when he was merely a senator?
    How did he keep his own name 'pure' during all the rampant corruption?
    Perhaps as mere viewers we shouldn't ask these questions, but as fans and as a story 'moral'; something we should learn from perhaps with the similar rise of both hitler/palpy (considering the similarities to democracy in our own culture), to really learn the lessons i guess, we do need to ask ourselves these questions. Besides I think they'd be fun to discuss - and there's a lot to here in my view.
    For one thing, I think the rise of 'business becoming government' (which was what the separatists were trying to do in the clone wars) is a big risk in the future of western democracies... With companies like microsoft, gaining ever more money/influence... Indeed a business c.e.o. is not unlike a dictator in that what they say goes to direct a companies policy and the employers either follow it, or get fired. How many of us, like clonetroopers, do unpleasant things in our jobs, becuase we'll be hauled over the coals, if we do it any other way?

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Not me, in reply to the least part of your post.

I'd suggest you could see also: US Government 2001-present, Dept of Homeland Security, War on Terrorism for answers to how someone like palp-o-ma-lo gets into power.

3. Darth_Saruman

Darth_Saruman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
  4. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    Additional References go to OPEC, P&G, pfizer etc.

I am more worried about the fact that all decisions have to be justified in terms of shareholder return. This makes the only feasable decisions are ones that have a positive return on investment.

For the betterment of mankind, or because it is morally right doesn't rate as a good reason.

This is pretty sithy, if there is only one end ($$) and the end is all that matters. Then companies will crush anything that will result in the increase of share value, whether it was the right thing to do or not. No one has to accept the moral responsibilty for doing it if it makes money. Companies don't give back.

b.t.w.

Fear will keep the systems in line, fear of this Administration and its' war on terror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.