main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How often do you watch your DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by cydonia, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    Just curious. I have some i've had for months and haven't watched yet.

Do you collect movies you like, or only ones that you love?

Do you really care about the extras, or not? I think when they give too much away, it kind of spoils the magic, maybe that's just me.

2. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I buy any DVD that I like and I think I'll want to see numerous times.

I love the extras. The more, the better!

I have over 275 DVDs. I don't watch them very often. Mostly when friends come over. It's nice to have a large selection.

I have a movie for every mood.

(I hate it when studios "double-dip")

3. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    i feel....like a loser......

i don't have a single DVD or a DVD player [face_blush]

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I generally buy one I'll watch relatively frequently, but some naturally sit for a while and only get watched once in a while.

5. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    I watch them whenever I can. I don't buy DVDs anymore unless I am sure I will watch them. So basically I only buy my all time favourites (of which there are many!)

In fact I only forsee buying three or four DVDs this year. (Unless they finally announce Back To The Future or Indiana Jones...)

6. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I spend more time with the extras than with the film :p My DVD collection is largely made up of films I've already watched to death.

Sometimes I'll watch a crappy film just to evaluate the image quality. My brother bought Pearl Harbor today, and while I despidse the film itself, the picture quality is astonishing. If this is what splitting a film into two discs can achieve, I certainly hope FOTR receives the same treatment.

7. Jedi_XandMan

Jedi_XandMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2001
    If I don't watch at least one DVD a day, I get grumpy. It's like caffine.

Lately, my most watched disc is Bridget Jones's Diary. A very funny movie. I recommend it to everyone.

8. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Well I only bought a DVD player in December so I only have about five DVDs. I just finished watching some extras on Cast Away that were pretty cool...although this one about survival sort of went on and on... :p
    This is my DVD collection:

Pearl Harbor
    Cast Away
    Remember the Titans
    Star Wars: Episode I

Oh. I just have four then. *shrugs* Anyway, I haven't watched any of them multiple times yet, but like I said I haven't had a DVD player very long. But I really like the extras, I especially love deleted scenes. :D

9. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    I watch them a lot... just sitting there... all alone... without a player. It's so sad :_|.
    Every time I go to the store to buy a new player I end up blowing all the money on more DVDs.

10. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Everyone else in my family is always watching things on MY TV set and MY DVD player so I never get a chance to watch what I want to. :(

11. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I'm watching Star Trek 2. :D

12. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I have a small DVD collection (about 15), but it's made up of only my favourite movies. I generally only buy a DVD if I can be assured it's the best version on the market- I don't ever want to find out that I spent good money on the 'crappy edition'.

I watch probably about 3 movies a week on DVD- more if I've rented some. Unfortunately, though, the local rental place has a bad habit of buying Pan 'n Scan DVDs, and not labeling them as such.

Just this weekend, I rented Lost Highway on DVD, only to find out that it's a crappy Pan 'n Scan version with no extras, and crappy image quality.

13. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I have 72 DVDs, about 1/3 of them consist of Anime series/movies, and the rest are 80's and 90's classics.

14. Zephyr Xux

Zephyr Xux Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 14, 1999
    I watch my DVDs a lot but only because I buy movies that I know I want to watch over and over again.

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've got about 50. The ones I bought myself I tend to watch often, or really love. Then, my parents buy me DVDs as holiday/birthday gifts, because they don't know what else to get me. Those, I don't watch as often (but always at least once).

16. jangosdna

jangosdna Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2001
    I usually only watch them a few times a week = when I have time. I try to only buy ones I don't have on video or know I will enjoy. I wasted some $ on bad DVD's in the past & don't want to make that mistake anymore...

17. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I rented My Fair Lady, I guess this is the only chance I'll get to watch it. Everytime it's on TV I have to go and do something else.

18. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Since I have no cable I watch my DVD's regularly.I usually buy movies that I know I already like.I rarely ever by "bare" discs because its just the same as vhs.

Here is my DVD collection:

Crumb
    Buffalo 66
    Halloween (limited edition 2-disc)
    Evil Dead II
    Star Wars:The Phantom Menace
    Ghosts of Mars
    Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits Videos
    Pecker
    Girl Interrupted
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Mallrats
    The Sixth Sense
    High Fidelity
    Cruel Intentions
    Wonder Boys
    Reality Bites
    In the Line of Fire
    Full Metal Jacket
    Taxi Driver (colletor's edition)
    Silence of the Lambs (criterion)
    Rounders
    Go
    American Movie
    Edward Scissorhands

24 total!

19. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I just got a DVD player a week ago Sunday, for the time being I only own 4 DVDs, but I've watched something everyday since I got my player. I've also checked some out from my local library.

I've mostly watched the special features so far. I absolutely love them. :)

~*~Bria

20. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Too many to list.

see here

I watch a DVD everyday. I'm visiting home right now, so I can't watch any DVDs this week, but when I get back to uni I have JP3, Tomb Raider, Coupling Series One, Evolution and The Gift to enjoy.

If anyone is unsure about which region's edition of a DVD they should buy, go to www.dvdcompare.org.uk, it covers regions 1, 2 & 4, and NO region 1 does NOT always win! ;) I base most of my purchases on this site.

21. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Depends...I keep all my DVDs up in my room, away from the prying little hands of my 18 and 16 year-old sisters and my 14 year old brother.

I have only watched The Cell and The Whole Nine Yards once apiece...although I'd love to when no one else is around.

Others I watch more than some...or some I watch more than others. I only have about 20...I also have the rest of my families DVDs to pick from (or plot the demise of...Munsters Revenge, you're NEXT!!!) [face_devil]

22. Jedi_XandMan

Jedi_XandMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2001
    Bossk! You have both Wonder Boys and Reality Bites! You are officially awesome in my book. The Presence of Big Trouble in Little China helps too!

Whimper: You're awesome too, for your pro-OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) stance! Very cool!

Widescreen is our friend. Pan and Scan sucks, because the frame is zoomed in, and resolution is lost along with picture.

23. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I remember when i worked at blockbuster video, it used to drive me crazy when people wanted to return letterbox videos in exchange for another rental. "But the picture is messed up, it's all cut up, whine whine."

Then you're like "imagine you're in a theater. The screen is more horizontal than vertical, yes?" And they just have blank looks on their faces. I'm not making this up. You hope they are very smart in other things.

Why anyone would deliberately prefer a pan and scan film, man. Are there any good reasons? I can't find one. I have a dvd in my room, my dad rents videos. Even if it's something i haven't seen, i just won't watch it on video.

24. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I've got about 800. I've watched maybe 1/3 of them.

25. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I have about 300 or so...my latest is Chocolat. What an awesome movie! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.