main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Howard the Duck

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthSuicide, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    People talk about Peter jackson and his earlier bombs, but let em tell you. Howard the Duck, Willow, Labryint, Tucker, Radioland Murdes really stunk. I think that the only movies that GL has doen or been involved with that were good was American Graffeti, The Star Wars movies, The Indiana Jones movies, and Captian EO, plus the two Ewok tv movies. Everything else is bad, and the Holiday Special is aweful.

2. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    howard was good, but i've never read the comic so i don't know any better. It's like Tank Girl. I like that movie, but i've never read the comic and aparently it has nothing to do with the book.

3. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    It's a fun piece of 80's cheese. Should be released to dvd soon.

4. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Willow and Tucker sucked? Willow rocked and Tucker is brilliant!!! I even like Radioland Murders! :D

5. Gangsta_Jawa_

Gangsta_Jawa_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2006
    Howard the Duck 2 might be better with what they can do with CG.

They can even bring back Tim Robbins & Lea Thompson.

[face_laugh]

6. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    I have never seen the movie. What is so bad about it?

7. Gangsta_Jawa_

Gangsta_Jawa_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2006
    it's not THAT bad....i think its one of those movies that has been overly bashed for whatever reason

8. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Have you considered that Lucas may have actually made the film better?
    So, it's not the greatest movie in the world, but it might have been even worse if Lucas had'n come along to "save it".

Just speculating...

9. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    It's well known that Lucas didn't have much to do with this movie. He only visited the set four times and has later said that he didn't do anything on it.
    It was sort of the dream project of Huyck and Katz (Lucas' friends who co-wrote American Grafitti and Temple of Doom) but they had problems getting it financed. Lucas agreed to be credited as Executive Producer so that the movie got made. So it was really all a favor to his friends.

10. howardgarbo

Mar 29, 2005
    Even Lucas takes the film's reputation as a joke.

I remember at his AFI tribute last year, William Shatner mentioned the film and joked about it. Lucas was a good sport and laughed with it.

11. a_new_dope

a_new_dope Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2006
    yes and yes! it's like alf meets buckaroo bonzai...only the 80s could produce such wacky nonsense.

i'd be surprised if this came out on dvd. i think lucasfilm considers htd their biggest embarrassment, second only to the holiday special.

if only i could get my hands on an ld of this cinematic gem...

12. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    The problem for me, personally, was (even at that age) I was a big fan of the comic. It had all sorts of 'adult' references and humor - kind of like what is now considered the norm. It was pretty dark and Howard was a cantankerous loudmouth like Groucho Marx. It was very, very cool.

The movie, like most comics-to-film projects, kiddified things up and it came off as (I believe another poster above mentioned this) some kind of Alf hybrid.

For perspective, imagine how it felt to be really into the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when they first started off in the comics and then getting this 'kiddy' version plopped down. Now, imagine TMNJ movies without any warmth or charm and no real compelling story and a cheesy duck costume. That is Howard the Duck. They need to redo it and go back to the source material.

13. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    HTD cinematically speaking is one of the greatest movies ever made. It rates higher than Casablanca and Gone With the Wind with many focus groups. It is a little know fact but Lucas made the PT so he could finance the sequals to HTD...some call it, his passion. Lucas's duck farm is all the proof I need. [face_plain]

14. howardgarbo

Mar 29, 2005
    You guys gotta love the bit at the restaurant. I mean how can you not love a sequence at a place called "Cajun Sushi" ?

15. Jediii

Jediii Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    It would be cool if this film was added as a DVD Extra in the up coming star wars 6 pack box set. IMO. and GL can make to box covers one with a small pic of Howard showing that one as the one with the extra disc. and another without for fans that do not want the Howard the duck film.

and maybe a Howard the Duck Transformer Action Figure?! hehe j/k

16. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "but trying to think of something positive, that's too hard."

Uhm, Lea Thompson? In a bent-over butt-shot? In a nightie? That's worth the ticket price right there!

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have Howard the Duck, but I haven't watched it in years. I liked it the last time I watched it.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

For their time, the effects were good. [face_dancing]

19. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    this movie is no joke! howard the duck is better than superman returns is you ask me. I saw this movie at the movies when it came out then about 20 times on VHS. I just wonder if the DVD is ever going to come out? like a special edition or something.

20. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001

GOd,it's true.Every movie ever made had one hard core fan.
    I loved the comic but hated the movie.
    Do it again but with Terry Gilliam writing and directing.The comic's oddball humor is right up Gilliam's alley.

21. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Never seen it, never want to. Innuendo makes my stomach churn.

BTW, I like Willow and Labyrinth. They can be corny and the effects are sometimes a little weird, but there are funny moments and the STORIES are good. Story is everything; good actors, good effects, and good music are very nice additions, but not the only thing that matters.

22. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    I still enjoy kicking a kick out of watching Howard the Duck from time to time. Best moments are

Dr Jennings being possesed by one of the Warlords at the diner
    Redneck being disgusted at Beverly about her saying Howard is her boyfriend

Cant go wrong with 1980s rock band with songs sung by Leah Thompson
    Lea Thompson in a nightie seducing Howard
    In jokes referencing to beastiality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.