main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX I could use the groups help!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by TheCloud, Feb 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCloud

TheCloud Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2001
    Ok so here is my problem....

I want to be a productive member of the FanForce here in the metroplex but I am also the owner of a new Collectible Store called Bounty Hunters Collectibles.

We opened around Christmas time and went to our first Sci-Fi Expo in Jan and meet alot of great people and embarked on a mission to build a store that could be half retail and half a place to meet, play CCG or RPG and hang out with fellow fans...Now my problem

I want to find a way to further the meeting and fun aspect of the shop but I dont want to seem like I am just plugging the retail side of the business....

Here is how you can help...I need ideas on how I can get the word out without seeming like a pushy owner.....

Help me FanForce your my only hope.....

Patrick Moran
    The Cloud

2. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    To be honest.. as long as you have something to offer the members of the Fan Force, I wouldn't be annoyed with your posts as long as it didn't seem like you were posting nothing but "advertising" so to speak. We're all here to have fun, meet to discuss SW and other fan related things (toys/merchandise, movies, RPG's etc) and to continue to grow and meet new folks who join up. I really don't think - and this is just my opinion - that anyone would really be too offended if you got involved with your shop as long as you didn't post too often with posts that sounded more like just advertising without anything for the group here. We have an RPG group forming up and who knows what else we will end up with as we continue to grow.

The thing is.. it never hurts to ask so I hope folks help out by brainstorming here about their thoughts. I for one welcome anyone as long as folks are nice and not fight (oy.. I've seen enough of that to last me a lifetime online. I definitely don't want to see it on a board where most of the ppl meet in RL, too! :( that would be a bummer). Fortunately this really has been a very nice group to be involved with :)

Anyway... as far as things to help out with ideas.. I am not in the RPG group, but they might be interested in your shop (maybe some of you RPG guys & gals could post your thoughts here)? Other things.. well.. heheheh.. I can't always buy the SW merch I want, but maybe you could work something out with the mod. where a link could be put to a mailing list you guys run offering deals off and on etc... that way.. people would know of the list.. but you wouldn't feel weird posting here about the shop - anyone interested will be a member of the list and be looking forward to information about it. Also keep your ears open on the board (or should that be eyes?).. if you see that we're struggling for a meeting spot.. then offer the space in your store if you can... something to that effect. It stays on topic and it's help when the group needs it and vice versa.

Bottom line is we all have something to offer the group and each other even if it's just showing up to events... that's what makes it so sweet tho'.. we can all offer something to make it a fun experience... collectors, gamers, movie fans.. we all discuss things that help out (hopefully) with the areas we're interested in.

Ok.. I'm babbling.. someone else's turn here <g> I am curious tho', Cloud... (if you feel weird answering on the board right now, you can email me my email is in my profile).. where's the shop located? Hopefully it's not too far away from a lot of us... and heck.. you could always put flyers about the DFW FF in your store too.. help us spread the word and get SW fans here :)

Looking forward to discussions... next?

3. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    btw..

I hope no one thought that I was speaking for them or for the group.. I was speaking for myself mostly. I am looking forward to the DFW FF growing and getting a lot more involvement from a lot of different groups and folks with many different talents and things to offer.

I hope my babblings weren't too bad to wade through and I hope a few folks can at least help Cloud get some ideas together for how things can be worked out. Looking forward to reading the posts...

4. DarthRain

DarthRain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2000
    Maybe we could discuss the possibility of holding a meeting at your fine establishment sometime.. :)

5. TheCloud

TheCloud Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2001
    Thanks for the Great replys DarthCynthia and DarthRain (ironic that it's always the Sith Lords that are up late enough to be the first to reply). I would be honored to host meetings, CCG & RPG games and Tournaments here (we set up space specifically for that purpose) and seeing that meetings are usually on Saturdays and I have to work on Sats I could guarantee my participation.

We have a discount membership plan in place and I would offer that to all registered FF members free of charge and flyers would be something I hope we could do today.

We are located on the corner of LaPrada and Northwest Drive on the Garland/Mesquite Border. LaPrada is the exit off 635 between Centerville and Oates. Easy to get too and lots of parking. (email me if you need specific directions or info)

Thanks again for the ideas and I look forward to any other input you may have!!!

Yours in The Force

TheCloud

6. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    I haven't spoken to my hubby, but he'd probably be game to drive there (could you email me more specifics? address/phone number etc? I'd like to eventually check it out even if we don't hold meetings there) - but fortunately it's just a once a month thing so long distances aren't too bad. Meetings would be cool, especially if you put up like.. some Darth Maul posters for me to stare at.. LOL! jk ;) Seriously tho'.. I appreciate that you're wanting to get involved with the group :) I think it'll be fun.. the more the merrier.

And as far as Sith replying first.. well.. I just couldn't fall asleep last night (as usual)... heheheh :)

take care...

7. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    Hey, Chad and Ricky.... That's WAY to local for our own good. ;-)> CLOUD- The three of us live within throwing distance of your store, so I am sure you will see us before too long.

8. Sirikus_Willowbend

Sirikus_Willowbend Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2000
    wow, sounds like an awesome place you have there - I'd definately like to check it out since it's not too far away from my place - I'm always on the look out for kewl new stores to browse and a place to hang out with people with common interests, and sounds like yer shop fits the bill nicely =)

sirk

9. DarthRain

DarthRain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2000
    Oh YEAH !!! I picked up a flyer from your place at the January Expo.I can't find it to save my life however. :(

10. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    I think BHC will provide a great resource for the FF simply because of it's locale and it's heart that is Star Wars. I myself have been looking for a place like this for a long time, and now that it's here I can breathe a sigh of relief being a collector myself. I wasn't satisfied with stores like lonestar or Keith's simply because it couldn't devote as much to Star Wars as I'd liked. I think more ventures like this will strengthen the fan community.
    I myself am glad that I found this board, I think I could do a potential casting-call with fellow SW fans.
    Lemme know what you guys think.

And btw, I don't personally think there's anything wrong with a little shameless self-promotion as long as there's a lightsaber involved..... :)

11. Marababe

Marababe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    WOW! Cloud, that's right in my neighborhood! I had no ideal that there was a Star Wars shop so close to me. I just might have to come check it out this weekend. Maybe you should go ahead and post here for all where you are. Seems everyone wants to know.

Bev

12. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    you can give my toy collectors email mailing list and group called "i bent my wookiee" [60+ people] a discount st your store.

http://obscurity.com/IBMW/

or better yet, we're open to sponsorship, you can have the footer of every IBMW mail that goes out...

13. TheCloud

TheCloud Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2001
    Thanks to everyone who is responding both here and via email!!!!!

I really had no idea what kind of response I would get but thanks for the positive feedback.

I posted our location a few posts back so I will refrain from posting it here but we would love to see anybody that would like to come hang out, talk SW or Play a few games.

We are opened Tue, Thur and Sun 12-6pm
    Wed & Fri 12-9pm and Sat 10am-9pm closed on Mon.....
    Hope to see you there!!! BTW for all those that have yet to download and experience "A Question of Faith" we will be playing it several times during the weekend and any time that someone requests after that.

Patrick & Gary
    The Bounty Hunters

14. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Cool. I'll try to stop by and check everything out. Maybe Friday night before Hannibal or Sunday. Take it easy!

15. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    I just wanted to let everyone know that Rob and I went to Gary's (aka TheCloud) shop, and I am pleased to say that we were very impressed. Those of you interested in an RPG or CCG should check out his place. Those of you interested in toys and collectibles at a decent price check him out as well. We hope to hold a DFW Fanforce meeting there in the near future.

16. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    This store sounds like it is pretty darn cool. I may go check it out tonight. What are the hours? Unfortunately I don't get off work until 6:00pm.

James

17. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    I know.. I'm hoping I can get out there sometime in the next month or so.. just have so much stuff goin' on right now.. argh. Sounds cool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.